View Full Version : how many lists do you have?

mike1w
11-01-10, 10:52 AM
I need to start making my own lists, if I expect to get anything done, especially at home. Handwritten lists of things needing done, put where I cannot help but see them. A nighttime list on the outside of my bedroom door. A morning list on the inside of my front door. A list left at my workstation. A list in my car for when I am on my way home... You know. I need lists seems everywhere. maybe even a list of lists ( topic, time, location )

mike1w
11-01-10, 10:55 AM
okay that last one does seem a little over the top...
LOL

crackerbelly
11-01-10, 11:21 AM
Good post. I'm right there with you. I even understand your need for a list of lists. I have been trying to keep my list on Outlook at work. This works ok since I can access my e-mail remotely. But there are many times that I am not by it, in the car or whatever, that I remember something. If I don't write it down within seconds, it will be forgotten and god knows when it will come back to me. So, how do I consolidate all of these scraps? Then there is a matter of priorities......GAH!!!

Lists get out of control for me in a hurry but then, dunno why they should be different from anything else. I have a love hate thing with the lists. I absolutely see the need for them but it seems to me that I am being told that one of the ways for me to manage ADHD is to NOT be ADHD and make lists.

I'm hoping that this is a skill that can be improved but my track record for this kind of thing is not good. I hope you get some good feedback on this one. I need it. ;-)

Sphere
11-01-10, 12:19 PM
I have a master list for my day handwritten in my calendar. This is mostly for studying.

Random to-dos go on an app for that on the phone. With reminders and alarms.

I use another app to cross off the things I need to do daily and weekly in the home (they reset every day/week/month).

Really important stuff, like taking the trash to the curb on the designated day are plugged into iCal, with alarms and emails, so I get them on the phone and computer... And boyfriend's phone and computer.

And then there are the handwritten lists and notes that I try to write on my phone as well... Since paper disappears to mysterious parallel universes and / or any available flat surface.

I like to be able to tick things off, both on paper and digitally. So I'd recommend a solution that lets you do that, like a dry-erase board, or repeated alarms/reminders that need to be marked. Or a sheet protector over your list.

stef
11-01-10, 12:58 PM
- small dry erase board on the refrigerator (for when we run out of something, to buy saturday);
- small list in notebook in purse, for errands etc.
- index card for weekend chores
- giant 4 color master list on legal pad at work
- "tasks" list in outlook (with popup reminders)
...yikes!

hmstrwheel
11-25-10, 03:47 PM
I used to write out a whole to-do list and re-write it every day. Then I made a master list on the computer so I could just print it instead. I still found it frustrating as I'd invariably re-order things and cross things off and it would get messy. Once it gets messy I can no longer "see" the items on the list...I can only see the mess!

In addition, I get so easily overwhelmed with a long list of items that it was just depressing to even look at it and I'd stop before I ever even got started. (I have to have things like "brush teeth", "put on deoderant", and even "eat dinner" on my lists or I will forget to do these things! This makes my lists pretty massive.)

Finally I got a bunch of index cards and put one item on each card. If the item has steps I put those on the back of the card. Now I can easily shuffle/reshuffle, and there's no mess (unless the cats knock over the stack :rolleyes:). It works for me.

Gammax
12-16-10, 02:53 PM
All I can say is Dry erase Boards are an ADDers best friend. espy the lined ones for this.

Velvetdragon
12-17-10, 02:40 AM
Urgh, I wish I could make lists work for me.

I'm fantastic at making them. I have all sorts of lists. And I can put them places I see every day -- front door, mirror, my phone, and so on. And I still somehow manage to not remember to look at them.

Or if I do look at them, I say, "Oh yeah, I need to do __________." And I either finish what I as doing when I had that thought (brushing my teeth while looking in the mirror for example) and have forgotten by the time I finish that task, or I immediately go off to complete listed task, and get distracted on the way there, and forget before I can complete it.

If anyone has any suggestions for this issue, I'd love it. I'm a huge list maker and I just fail to implement. :(

ginniebean
12-17-10, 02:53 AM
I tend to make lists as I need them, maybe I don't quite getlists

Cacho
03-09-11, 06:59 PM
I have two lists.

I have a gigantic list on my computer with basically everything I can think of that I want to get done.

I write a new list of 3 to 5 items for the day every day in a notebook I carry around everywhere. The notebook has a calendar too.

I definitely still have a lot of trouble balancing one time tasks (call XYZ) with daily repeating tasks (dishes, etc). I never know what order to do anything in, and if I do things in the same order for several days, I get really annoyed.

Overall, it works pretty good, as long as I keep looking at my notebook every so often.

hoolio
03-09-11, 07:10 PM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90163

Ok don't know if that link will work or not. Hopefully it does. It is to another board that has a good system that you may find useful. The thread is called "My simple stay on track system" in case the link doesn't work!

Tamsin
06-04-11, 09:34 PM
I just have a list of things I need to buy at various stores. Lately I have been trying to write a list of daily activities I need to do, but usually I write it down and then forget about it:(

ovjamaica
06-22-11, 01:40 PM
Two lists. One is my master tasklist that is synced between Outlook and my Blackberry. That way I can add lists to the list when I'm on the move and I can sync it back to Outlook when I'm in the office or at home.

My second list is a daily checklist that goes through all of the daily things I have to do (do the dishes, take out the garbage, etc) which helps me keep track of all the daily stuff.

Works pretty well as long as I stick to it. :) Motto of ADHD, isn't it?

sarahsweets
06-22-11, 01:59 PM
I make tons of lists doing the things on them is a different story. I am the queen of setting up new systems to stay organized and then letting them fall apart. I also have an office supply fetishe. If it can be written on or with,or file something I have to have it. I am one with staples

spaceytracy91
07-30-11, 08:49 AM
I make tons of lists doing the things on them is a different story. I am the queen of setting up new systems to stay organized and then letting them fall apart. I also have an office supply fetishe. If it can be written on or with,or file something I have to have it. I am one with staples

THIS EXACTLY!!! anything can be an excuse to go shopping for office supplies! "I got diagnosed with ADHD, hrm people say lists help...I NEED A MOLESKINE PLANNER AND A FOUNTAIN PEN!"

Oh I love buying stuff to organize...but I still walk on a 6" carpet of clothing and crap on my bedroom floor.

Back to topic- I have a very hard time with lists. I put ridiculous unnecessary things on them, which make them too cluttered to maneuver through. I never look at them after I initially made them. I never make them consistently. Why can't ADHD treatment include someone to shadow you to be your cleaner and organizer? Someone who knows shorthand and how to fold laundry. :)

stoph276
07-30-11, 09:43 AM
Make a list of your lists...

Lol... better yet get a pda or smartphone with a to do app...

pechemignonne
07-30-11, 08:01 PM
"I got diagnosed with ADHD, hrm people say lists help...I NEED A MOLESKINE PLANNER AND A FOUNTAIN PEN!"
Oh, boy. This is me.

Oh I love buying stuff to organize...but I still walk on a 6" carpet of clothing and crap on my bedroom floor.
My bf refuses to even *walk* on my side of the room. He calls it "The Forbidden Zone".

Why can't ADHD treatment include someone to shadow you to be your cleaner and organizer? Someone who knows shorthand and how to fold laundry. :)
Yes!! I am convinced that this is how rich people with ADHD (like lots of musicians and actors, I suspect) manage so well. I have always been jealous that some people have personal assistants. That's exactly what *I* need! Where is *my* personal assistant?

spaceytracy91
07-30-11, 09:40 PM
hahahaha!!! it's terrible! i wish i was one of those yoga women, all organized, skinny, and neat. I loooovvveee when things are neat, but just can't get 'em that way!

Oh personal assistants...an entourage of magic elves...i wonder if there's a prescription for that!

steveno1570
11-08-11, 08:41 PM
If you have more than 5 lists I recommend a simple index. Actually if I have more than 5 of anything I will usually make some kind of external list.

I have an index in the front of my Tracker Keeper DIY Planner, that I change, (ideally) as I add/remove stuff.

My thumb rule questions for creating a new list are:

1 Are there more than 5 actions for this activity?

2 Have I made a list because I routinely 'fail' in this area?

3 How much listless competency will I need to function if sleep deprived?

4 Can I add this to an existing list or do I need a new one?

Spacemaster
11-08-11, 11:08 PM
I don't know how many I have, I can't find half of them.

tortilaman
01-26-12, 01:30 PM
A couple things that have been decently working for me:

Workflowy.com
This lets you essentially keep an infinite number of lists, but they're nested lists, so you can categorize things any way you want, and cross them off. It also lets you tag items, so you can tag them with days of the week, or urgency, or what type of task it is, so you can click the #unscheduled tag to see everything you need to schedule or the #tobuy tag for everything you need to buy etc. I find this amazing for a master list

Scratchpads:
I went to officemax or somewhere and all they had was a 12 pack of scratchpads in terms of little notebooks with pages that were removable. I know have one everywhere, and one always on me as much as I can, so I can always write any of my thoughts down, and then pull out that page and take it with me so thoughts don't get lost. At the end of the day, I put all new tasks into my workflowy, and then in the morning I make a daily list on the scratchpad I keep with me, so that I can cross the things off that I have done

It is extremely important to cross things off on your list. That is so satisfying.

Hotshot007
01-26-12, 01:46 PM
I have a bunch of these. Saved my life. Get them at Barnes and Nobles. Slip in back pocket you dont even know it's there.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6766516661_425a0f05bc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51746229@N06/6766516661/)
IMAG3355 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51746229@N06/6766516661/) by willz0072002 (http://www.flickr.com/people/51746229@N06/), on Flickr

String
01-26-12, 02:42 PM
I've been trying something new.

Instead of writing a bunch of lists, I just write 4 simple things that I can do now. Then I try to focus on those 4 things. When I'm done, I might write another list of 4 things that I can do now.

I still write shopping lists or lists of steps in a process or I write down important things that I don't want to forget, but this list of 4 works way better than anything else I've tried so far. And it's cheap.

Why does having one simple list that you keep creating work? Well, it keeps me from becoming overwhelmed. It keeps me from spending too much time on lists. It helps me move to doing instead of just the thinking about doing that happens when I work on lists.

TheChemicals
01-26-12, 04:11 PM
I need to start making my own lists, if I expect to get anything done, especially at home. Handwritten lists of things needing done, put where I cannot help but see them. A nighttime list on the outside of my bedroom door. A morning list on the inside of my front door. A list left at my workstation. A list in my car for when I am on my way home... You know. I need lists seems everywhere. maybe even a list of lists ( topic, time, location )

LOL- yeh! I kept grabbin a notepad from my work supply room and making a list on it and after like a month i noticed that my car had over 20 notepads inside, each with a list of things....that once i read them...did not seem as important as my new list lol. Your one of my kind :P

cameron90
01-26-12, 04:26 PM

Exactly, making lists and actually using them effectively is my main problem. I used to have multiple lists but I realized that it didn't work for me. Now I just have a single to-do list on my phone, which is pretty much always on me and sync with my list on my computer, which I find works much better. I don't know what I would do without technology sometimes...

spunkysmum
01-26-12, 04:33 PM
Probably about 800 laying around somewhere. LOL.

tortilaman
01-29-12, 05:51 AM
If I don't consolidate my lists they're useless. I just look at the 10 sheets of paper in front of me and flip through them and don't accomplish anything. I did a little bit of that tonight.

TheChemicals
01-29-12, 09:53 AM
When i find an old list that really isnt that old- maybe 2-3 weeks; everything on it seems useless and not that important even though it is. Its like my mind is saying "that is sooo last week"

marywarren
03-30-12, 08:29 AM
I have a list of lists! To make the lists. I actually have like a gazillion lists, I change my lists all the time. *list-mania*
Lol I'm being serious

tortilaman
03-30-12, 02:14 PM
I started using evernote recently. One note, one task. Get them done move them to the "Done" notebook. It works decently well. That and the Reqall app is nice, it reminds you of things based on where you are.

spunkysmum
03-30-12, 04:34 PM
I like to be able to tick things off.

I like to be able to tick PEOPLE off. Well, sometimes. LOL

rickymooston
03-31-12, 07:02 PM

Hi, fewer lists is better. You have ADHD here right. I can't count how many lists I've abandoned but you really only succeed if its simple.

At work, I have my "daily scrum" and a white board list.

eeilyk
03-31-12, 08:33 PM
Excel spreadsheets are so fun to make! Not so fun to complete.. That's when i start making a list for something else instead!

Blimey
06-29-12, 10:55 PM
Right now, all my lists are scattered around on scrap pieces of paper. Need to make a single one which shall henceforth become THE list.

taskorganizer
08-19-12, 02:28 AM
i used to have two main lists: one at home next to my computer, one at work, both handwritten.
The problem was that it was usually not really a "list" but more like a bunch of pieces of paper with notes: kinda hard to have an overview of the situation and even harder to prioritize my tasks.

Now I still have two main lists, but all on a web-based tool, so that I can add tasks as they come on my home list when I am at work and vice-versa. Plus I can now prioritize my tasks much more efficiently.

I think using web-based tools to list tasks is a very efficient - if not the most - way to keep track of everything.

I don't like outlook because it isn't really convenient and it is full of extra features, for most of them useless, that just make it hard to use.

Ninjas
04-15-13, 08:13 AM
A lot.

Written lists:

Homework
Basic to do

Typed up lists:

List of names (for ideas for a story)
List of peoples' birthdays
List of information on various people (don't ask.)
My anime list xD

Mental lists:

Sites I need to check (Facebook, Email, whatever)
What I should be doing
What I'll do later
._.

erratic
06-07-13, 02:31 PM
I recently started doing this via a note book. I think now I need to work on organizing my lists better- I have like 5 different topics on the first page. They are mostly references rather than to-dos - like I'll write down artists to look up or good indoor plants for buying. I used to make lists in the past but never had a place for them all (they'd just be on a loose sheet of paper and get lost)- Having a notebook helps I think.

Artiste
02-22-14, 11:25 AM
I have a list list! I also have lists in my organiser, which still doesn't get used.

Unmanagable
02-22-14, 12:00 PM
I'll let ya' know as soon as I find the damn things. :)

erratic
02-24-14, 09:20 AM
Haha, yeah I'm always writing things down and not going back to them. I'll come across them months later and make a mental note to come back to the list, but I don't come back to that mental note or the old list.

I have a 2 ft marker board right next to the exit of my room. I write things on it but I only notice it every 4 days or so.