View Full Version : Does this match?

ChickenGirl
11-09-10, 08:13 PM
Does anyone else seem to have a big difficulty about whether colors match? I do. I try to keep track in my head which match and which don't, but of course I forget. *sigh* Am I alone in this, and is this part of ADHD?

Lunacie
11-09-10, 08:41 PM
Does anyone else seem to have a big difficulty about whether colors match? I do. I try to keep track in my head which match and which don't, but of course I forget. *sigh* Am I alone in this, and is this part of ADHD?

I don't think that has anything to do with ADHD. I've know people who didn't have ADHD who wore the oddest color/pattern combinations. Not a problem for me or my daughter, but my grandkids take after their dad's side in looking well put together. They don't. All we can do is buy them things that don't automatically clash and say something nicely about switching things around when they don't match.

This is just now becoming a problem with the little one who has Autism. Until recently she was happy to have up pick out her clothes for her. We'd get two sets of clothes out and let her pick one.

ChickenGirl
11-09-10, 10:05 PM
It drives my mom crazy when I come out with somthing that doesn't match (I don't have one in my memory just yet). Urg... How do I keep track of all the color combinations that don't work? Not to mention the other 'rules' (I actually kind of remember one... It was one pattern that didn't match with another one, not sure which). I can't get out of it by wearing one of all color, because apparently it somehow clashes too.

RedHairedWitch
11-10-10, 12:21 AM
I went to beauty school.

Here's how it works (this is your cheat sheet, print it out if you have to)

Check out this colour chart:

http://www.malanenewman.com/images/colorwheel_browsersafe.gif

Colours that are opposite each other are complimentary, they look the best together.

Colours that are beside each other or in the same section, do not match as they are too much alike. You don't wear Red with Pink.

The further the colours are away from being beside each other the better.

Now, see the numbers?

These are like your shades, right?

You also want to match numbers. Ones go good with ones; but ones don't go as well with fives.

Sooooooooo ...

Blue 2 and yellow 2 are nearly opposite each other on the wheel but are the same number, they are a good match.

Red 1 and red-violet 3 are close to each other and different numbers, they are not a good match.

Also:

Black, white and grey go with pretty well anything.

Brown goes best with other earth tones, like green.

Never wear two prints (floral top with a plaid shirt or a striped top with a striped skirt). Wear all solids or one print and solids.

Animal prints go with nothing, which means they go with anything. But not with other prints of course!

When matching prints with solids, go with the the main colour, or the background colour.

Your belt should be the same colour as your shoes.

Your gloves should be the same colour as your hat, same with your scarf.

Jewellery should be the same metal. Wear only all silver or only all gold. Wedding rings don't count.

Driver
11-10-10, 01:09 AM
Have you considered you may be colour blind? You may simply have dichromatic vision, so you don't see the breadth of colour that everyone else sees; or your mother is polychromatic and has super exceptional colour perception.

Lunacie
11-10-10, 10:39 AM
Have you considered you may be colour blind? You may simply have dichromatic vision, so you don't see the breadth of colour that everyone else sees; or your mother is polychromatic and has super exceptional colour perception.

Are you sure polychromatic is the right word for what you're describing? I see references to color and light, but not to people and they way they see color and light.

I'm sure that exceptional color sensitivity is very real for some people, just as exceptional hearing is for me. I wonder if my mother may have had this color sensitivity, to me she just seemed nit-picky. No one else ever mentioned that my clothes didn't match or looked tacky together.

ChickenGirl
11-10-10, 11:23 AM
Thank you RHW!!!
No, I am not colored blind, I have taken many tests to see if I am. I just can't seem to tell if a color matches... I also have PDD and OCD, but I expect that the former is the cause, if it isn't just how some people are. This will help a lot!

RedHairedWitch
11-10-10, 04:24 PM
I was clueless until beauty school. Then I learned lol

I still don't wear socks that match but that's a laundry thing and a defiance thing.

Driver
11-10-10, 07:16 PM
Are you sure polychromatic is the right word for what you're describing? I see references to color and light, but not to people and they way they see color and light.

I'm sure that exceptional color sensitivity is very real for some people, just as exceptional hearing is for me. I wonder if my mother may have had this color sensitivity, to me she just seemed nit-picky. No one else ever mentioned that my clothes didn't match or looked tacky together.

I should have done my homework before posting.

The correct term is tetrachromatic: seeing in 4 colours, as opposed to the trichromatic (seeing in 3 colours: RGB)

ChickenGirl
11-10-10, 08:06 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as a beauty school :p

Lunacie
11-10-10, 08:33 PM
I should have done my homework before posting.

The correct term is tetrachromatic: seeing in 4 colours, as opposed to the trichromatic (seeing in 3 colours: RGB)

Interesting. Thanks for finding the right name. Looks like anywhere from 2% to 50% of women could have that fourth cone in their eye for distinguishing colors.

Yeah, it's a trade school. My sister and my daughter were both beauty college graduates. Unfortunately, my daughter was injured in a car crash and had to give up being a beautician. They actually have to learn a lot of medical terms.

Sandy4957
11-10-10, 09:53 PM
Oh, MAN, Red, I am SO printing that chart and using it! I'm a fashion moron. My only solution to date has been to enlist saleswomen and let them dress me!

Driver
11-10-10, 10:35 PM
Just to muddy the waters: depending on your skin tone, hair colour, eye colour etc, also affects which colours look good on you. Not everyone can wear black or white, and some people look better in warmer colours vs cooler colours etc.

I went to an image and colour consultant to learn all this: was worth it in my opinion.

RedHairedWitch
11-10-10, 10:46 PM

I did an intro to basic Beautician stuff and then earned my Apprentice as a Hairstylist. That took about a year, then I did a year working as an Apprentice Hairstylist to get my Journeyman Hairstylist. They also taught Fashion and Esthetics.

But this varies depending on where you live.

5 years later I was allergic to just about everything and needed a career change! :rolleyes:

Werl
11-10-10, 11:14 PM
COLOURS MATCH!!:eek:

i know that, like you I can't match colours

Impetus
11-11-10, 10:28 AM
I went to beauty school.

Here's how it works (this is your cheat sheet, print it out if you have to)

Check out this colour chart:

Colours that are opposite each other are complimentary, they look the best together.

Colours that are beside each other or in the same section, do not match as they are too much alike. You don't wear Red with Pink.

The further the colours are away from being beside each other the better.

Now, see the numbers?

These are like your shades, right?

You also want to match numbers. Ones go good with ones; but ones don't go as well with fives.

Sooooooooo ...

Blue 2 and yellow 2 are nearly opposite each other on the wheel but are the same number, they are a good match.

Red 1 and red-violet 3 are close to each other and different numbers, they are not a good match.

Also:

Black, white and grey go with pretty well anything.

Brown goes best with other earth tones, like green.

Never wear two prints (floral top with a plaid shirt or a striped top with a striped skirt). Wear all solids or one print and solids.

Animal prints go with nothing, which means they go with anything. But not with other prints of course!

When matching prints with solids, go with the the main colour, or the background colour.

Your belt should be the same colour as your shoes.

Your gloves should be the same colour as your hat, same with your scarf.

Jewellery should be the same metal. Wear only all silver or only all gold. Wedding rings don't count.

great post!

Did you touch on khaki?? I LOVE khaki, it's my saving grace!

Marspider
11-11-10, 01:07 PM
And once you know the rules, you can break them, I've been wearing blue and brown quite happily since I was 12, now it's chic.

I never match my shoes and bag, I often wear black, brown or camel shoes and happily use my bright red bag or green or purple... I find it looks too done and matchy if I do this, I don't like doing it anyway. And where on earth would I find brown tweed shoes with a gray faux fur border to match my bag hmmm?

I also happily mix gold and silver

What i feel is that there should be a focus on one area. You shouldn't wear bright pink shoes with a bright orange bag and a purple top. Too much, the eye can't rest on one thing.
If I use my bright red bag, I would probably be wearing dark colours so the colour pops. Maybe my dark electric blue (Blue 1 on that very handy chart, and my bag would be Red 5)

I wouldn't wear my grey trousers because the red looks murkier next to it. I would most likely be wearing black or dark blue jeans.

And there are different kinds of colours.
I found that I look better in cool colours rather than warm colours, and that's colours with blue undertones. And never pastels, always deep colours.
I don't wear red normally because it doesn't look good on me.(except for my red bag which glowed at me when I walked into the store and said Marspider...) For a touch of bright colour, I wear fuchsia which is a bright deep pink with blue undertones also known as hot pink. And I will never touch yellow with a barge pole

What do you prefer?
Cream or white?
Gold or Silver/Cold Brass?
Brown or Black?

And ignore those charts which claim fair skinned people look good in this, and dark skinned people look good in that. Olive skinned look good in this bla bla.
It depends on what is your base shade. You can be dark skinned and look better in cool colours and fair skinned and look better in warm colours.

my sister and I are fairly close colour wise though she wears mustard and looks good, I look like I'm ill when I wear it. She wears pastels, I don't. She's a turquoise, I'm an electric blue :-D

ChickenGirl
11-11-10, 02:14 PM
Just to muddy the waters: depending on your skin tone, hair colour, eye colour etc, also affects which colours look good on you. Not everyone can wear black or white, and some people look better in warmer colours vs cooler colours etc.

I went to an image and colour consultant to learn all this: was worth it in my opinion.

Apperently, I have a good skin tone. I can wear orange ( I didn't know it was generally not a good color to wear until I was told) I only know this because Mom told me. Go figure, I have a skin tone perfect for many different colors, and I can't take advantage of it because I don't know if they match and clash them :rolleyes: .

@Marspider
It is not little things like that... I am talking apparently major ones that apperently are so obvious everybody but me knows it. As soon as I walk into the living room, mom just looks at me in exasperation and sends me back in to change. I honestly didn't know it didn't match.

Marspider
11-11-10, 02:42 PM
Does your mother tell you what things don't match? Because lots of old rules on what you could wear together are not in vogue anymore. Maybe what your mother thinks don't match are rules that she picked up from years ago.
For example wearing navy blue and brown. I found that you weren't supposed to match these colours until recently lol, still don't care.

Is that sort of thing? What kind of things does she say didn't match.
Lucky you, you can wear orange :)

Apperently, I have a good skin tone. I can wear orange ( I didn't know it was generally not a good color to wear until I was told) I only know this because Mom told me. Go figure, I have a skin tone perfect for many different colors, and I can't take advantage of it because I don't know if they match and clash them :rolleyes: .

@Marspider
It is not little things like that... I am talking apparently major ones that apperently are so obvious everybody but me knows it. As soon as I walk into the living room, mom just looks at me in exasperation and sends me back in to change. I honestly didn't know it didn't match.

ChickenGirl
11-11-10, 06:57 PM
Is that sort of thing? What kind of things does she say didn't match.
Lucky you, you can wear orange :)
Magneta pink and dark blue shorts. It is not just my mom, it is my older (22 year old) sister who tells me this too.

RedHairedWitch
11-11-10, 08:16 PM
Are they nitpicking just colours or also styles? Casual pants with fancy top type stuff?

ChickenGirl
11-12-10, 12:51 PM
Yes, they do that too.

itsanADHDthing
11-14-10, 09:38 PM
I just look at the match up. If its athstetically pleasing ill wear it.