View Full Version : Desoxyn or Dexedrine

ADDinSRQ
11-11-10, 08:40 PM
I'm currently on Desoxyn, and it's super expensive before my deductible. I was hoping this would be my holy grail of ADHD meds. It worked fine for a week or two but sense then I've built up a tolerance, just like I do with everything else. I'm taking 3.5 pills per day and the first does works fine but the second is iffy, especially when I eat. If I eat anything while I'm on this I get brain fog and a reduction in mental capacity. So basically I'm trying to find out if Dexedrine would be more effective. I'm hoping to find something that I wouldn't become so tolerant. Any one that has experience with these two medications or just Dexedrine itself that could tell me how they compare or how well Dexedrine works for them please let me know what you think.

Ps. Sorry if this is rambly, my meds have worn off and I have a hard time remembering what I wrote or coherently placing my thoughts onto paper.

mechnik
11-11-10, 10:52 PM
I'm currently on Desoxyn, and it's super expensive before my deductible. I was hoping this would be my holy grail of ADHD meds. It worked fine for a week or two but sense then I've built up a tolerance, just like I do with everything else. I'm taking 3.5 pills per day and the first does works fine but the second is iffy, especially when I eat. If I eat anything while I'm on this I get brain fog and a reduction in mental capacity. So basically I'm trying to find out if Dexedrine would be more effective. I'm hoping to find something that I wouldn't become so tolerant. Any one that has experience with these two medications or just Dexedrine itself that could tell me how they compare or how well Dexedrine works for them please let me know what you think.

Ps. Sorry if this is rambly, my meds have worn off and I have a hard time remembering what I wrote or coherently placing my thoughts onto paper.
I think all stimulants are basically the same. What is the cheapest available for you and how well did it work?
I took Vyvanse (an dextroamphetamine precursor) and did not like it much. Many people refer to Desoxyn as "the holy grail ADHD med". After my Vyvanse debacle I formed an opinion there is no such thing and your experience confirms that. My generic Adderall (from Sandoz) is inexpensive and works well.

twinch42085
11-16-10, 11:44 AM

I have not taken Desoxyn, but word for word Desoxyn "IS" Dexedrine with the addition of the methyl group. With that being said and all the mumbo jumbo lingo crap that goes along with the chemistry behind it the only good thing that comes out of Desoxyn is its ability to actually LAST 8 HOURS.....AND....for your tolerance level to build quickly...Why?...This is because your neurotransmitters keep firing off extreme amounts of neurons that...IMO...are gradually being degenerated to the point that they are having a difficult time to repair.....

This is only my opinion though.

As far as the Dexedrine part of your question. I will tell you that I have had NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK when it comes to the position it plays with your brain. It is basically Desoxyn's little brother, although; that is how I refer to it. I love dexedrine. I would advise you to give it a shot.

Yes, one downfall is that it is made by BARR/TEVA, but honestly I have learned to take the pros of "WHAT THE MEDICINE IS DOING FOR ME" and compare it to the cons of "WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT NO MEDICINE"....

Dexedrine is a must try......But not for everyone.....It just happens to work for me. So I have tell you straight up that it is a good medicine even if it is made by a crappy pharmaceutical company. I take 15mg in the evening. BARR 5mg tablets. I take 20mg of Adderall XR in the mornings. To give me a boost of energy.

ADDinSRQ
11-19-10, 12:59 AM
There is something about Desoxyn that makes me brain fart out for 2 hours after i eat lunch. And this is after my second dose. Also Desoxyn only last about 4 hours for me. I'm thinking of talking to my doctor about 15 MG Dex Spans from GKS with a side of Provagil to stay awake. Comments? Opinions?

twinch42085
11-19-10, 04:26 PM
There is something about Desoxyn that makes me brain fart out for 2 hours after i eat lunch. And this is after my second dose. Also Desoxyn only last about 4 hours for me. I'm thinking of talking to my doctor about 15 MG Dex Spans from GKS with a side of Provagil to stay awake. Comments? Opinions?
I have not tried the Dexedrine Spansules, but have heard great results from individuals who have. They are made by GSK who I so wish still made the instant release dexedrine --- All good things must come to an end --- which the current formulation through BARR/TEVA is not bad at all.

15mg is the max strength for the spansules and that is not a lot in my opinion. Maybe a double dosing throughout the day of the 15mg spansules might be an idea. The releasing technology of the spansules is different from the releasing technology of Adderall XR......I think?.....Correct me if I am wrong.

For the Provigil I am unsure of. I say this because you suggested it for staying awake. The prescribing sheet for Dexedrine also states that it is also used to produce increased wakefulness, but however your metabolism works depends on whether that statement holds true for you alone. Some patients say dexedrine makes them sleepy. It doesn't do that to me. Also, Provigil is the only stimulant that is not a schedule II so the possibilities of having it prescribe to you in adjunction with the dexedrine is possible.

Keep me posted and good luck!

Yellow
01-20-11, 01:32 AM
its worth trying dexedrine because it has much less chance for neurotoxicity, also some say dexedrine is a more "activating" drug because desoxyn is smoother for some because of its serotonin release. also, i dont think its safe to mix desoxyn with ssris btw

EshkaronsEngine
01-20-11, 01:52 AM
its worth trying dexedrine because it has much less chance for neurotoxicity, also some say dexedrine is a more "activating" drug because desoxyn is smoother for some because of its serotonin release. also, i dont think its safe to mix desoxyn with ssris btw
thanks for this info. In Canada we do not carry desoxyn and I always hate it when I am not able to access a certain medication. Knowing that desoxyn triggers serotonin rules out this drug 4 me 4 my serotonin levels r in perfect balance. :rolleyes: