View Full Version : Anyone from Montreal??

ShcShc
11-13-10, 09:11 PM
Who do I see to see if I have ADD/ADHD?
My doctor said that I have all the right symptoms and he gave me a referral but its 2,500$. I don't have that much money.

I heard I shouldn't go to therapists because none of them believe in ADHD?
Any help from Montreal???

ShcShc
12-25-10, 08:33 PM
:(
Guess nobody is

AbleTon
12-28-10, 10:31 PM
Hi,

I am. What is $2,500? The batter of tests to get the official diagnosis? If your doctor told you that, it is flat-out wrong. Let me know if this is what you are trying to say and I can give you some resources for where to get tested cheaply (possibly even free-ly).

Mike

ElectricLight
01-25-11, 03:33 PM
I would be interested in this information.

As a non-Canadian working here, the system can be confusing. I have a childhood diagnosis, and would finally like to explore some drug therapy. I've been in CBT for awhile, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. I'm tired of trying to manage it all myself.

Thanks.

Poochie's Dad
01-26-11, 10:29 PM
Hello, fellow Montrealer. :)

ShcShc, having been through $2000 assessment that was paid for by my dad's insurance, the best that I can recommend for you is to either 1) contact the Psychology Department of the McGill University Health Centre and ask about being tested for ADHD (it should be around $400 for students) or 2) call up the Department of Psychiatry of the Montreal Children's Hospital and inquire into a "research project" that can assess you for the disorder.

That last option would probably be your cheapest one though it comes with a catch: participants would probably have to attend a night-class every week for who-knows-how-long. On top of that, I'm not even sure if the study is still being conducted.

There are a few other options but from what I remember, they're either expensive or hard to earn access to. Regardless, if you have any more questions, you can ask away but odds are that you should speak with a professional. Do you go to school? Does your school have a disabilities-center or something like an "academic-advising" department? I would ask around there if I was stuck.

Best wishes!

DaveyJones
02-20-11, 12:57 PM
I was part of a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It was helpful. However when it came to get the medication treatment. Dr. Hetchman helped me a great deal however I had to go back to my GP to do follow-ups. But here is a catch the GP sandbagged me and didn't want to do follow-ups with me. So at the moment, I am going trough some run arounds. I might go back to Dr. Hetchman and asked her if she can refer me to a good gp who's familiar with ADHD. But the GP I had told me that meds are only for children, what can a doctor is that? Anyways, I am also looking for alternatives, I might try Attend, a dietary supplement. I shall see. But ShcShc, I feel your pain.

Rebelyell
02-20-11, 01:02 PM
I like montreal.especially old montreal,back in 04 I went to my 1st hard rock cafe there.

Memofunk
06-13-11, 12:02 AM
Bonjour de Montréal :)

ar_anand
06-29-11, 12:01 PM
Montreal seems to be a horrible place for diagnosing ADHD, and information online is hard to find.

pechemignonne
08-10-11, 11:50 AM
There are a few options I have found:

For children:

Montreal Children's Hospital ADHD Clinic (http://muhc.ca/clinic/adhd-attention-deficit-and-hyperactivity-disorder-mch)

The Douglas ADHD clinic for children and teens (http://www.douglas.qc.ca/pages/view?section_id=141)

For adults:

Dr. Miglena Grigorova (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=61400&sid=1312990320.6944_15257&city=Montreal&state=QC&spec=6)

If you either are rich or have really good insurance, this woman is really really nice and seems to know her stuff. It's basically 2000$. But she was really nice about it and offered me tons of advice, even said she would give me the names of doctors if I was having trouble with my GP, etc., despite the fact that I cancelled the appointment with her because my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Allen Memorial/Queen Victoria (http://www.psych.mcgill.ca/labs/rvh/depservice.html)

There is a waiting list, they told me it's a few months. Dr Sinyon, who I spoke to, asked me some questions over the phone and he seemed really nice, and you can check out an article he wrote about adult ADHD (link on the page above). It's 700$, and it is possible to pay in installments. The secretary gave me a hard time about this, complaining that some people don't pay and it's so much less expensive than elsewhere, etc. Whatever. Who has 700$ just lying around? And it's a medical test, it should be free. This is Canada.

I am also looking into evaluation at the Douglas in Verdun. They have a clinic for children and teens with ADHD, and apparently they do evaluations for adults for free, but I think the waiting list is long. The procedure I had to go through is ridiculous, too.

First I needed a referral from my doctor for an evaluation, it had to be written down. I have to bring that to my local CLSC (I'm going Friday morning bc I don't have work). There I will meet with a social worker who will speak to me and hopefully put me on a list for evaluation by a psychiatrist at the Portail Santé Mentale, which for me the closest is in Lachine.

As per usual, accessing mental health services requires one to have the specific skills and energy that nobody with poor mental could ever have. Luckily I drank a lot of coffee yesterday, and my bf is going to drive me on Friday. We'll see how I do after that.

Otherwise, I have an appointment on August 24th at the Allen Memorial for the 700$ thing, which I have no idea how I'm going to pay for. Hopefully they take installments in 20$ bills.

michaelmas
12-05-11, 02:39 PM
Hi Montréalers.
Thought I'd share my own experience in case it of use to others.
Getting any mental health treatment in Montréal is challenging; ADHD treatment for adults even more so.

I'll start with some recommendations:

1. Linda Aber was a wonderful resource.
She does some coaching/classes at the Queen Eliz. Health Center on Marlowe, but I can't vouch for them myself, since I haven't been. But just talking to Linda on the phone for 10 minutes, I got more info on treatment (and local treatment options) than I had received from anyone else in months. I almost cried when I got off the phone with her because it was the first time I had spoken to someone who a)understood how hard it was to get treatment, and b)actually had real suggestions for how to do it.
Her website doesn't necessarily inspire confidence, but I assure you she was very helpful: http://www.lindaaber.com/our-services.html

2. Isabel Melo, therapist.
Isabel was actually the person who first suggested I had ADHD, and for that I am eternally grateful. As a therapist, she can't prescribe meds or officially diagnose ADHD, but I highly recommend her as a therapist. She's knowledgable about ADHD, aware of local treatment options/challenges, and someone who can help support your work through the emotions pre-and-post diagnosis.

You'll notice, of course, that neither of these recommendations solve the diagnosis issue.
Even after having been through it myself, it still isn't clear whether the official test ($$) is needed to receive treatment. I've heard from people outside Montreal who got treatment without testing from their CLSC, but I can't say whether that's common or simply luck. Not having a family doctor at all (as I did not) certainly makes things much harder.

The Study Route
I received my diagnosis from the research study at Montréal Children's Hospital. It feels very much like a research study, and is not geared toward treatment, but it is free (via RAMQ) and can give you a diagnosis which will open up doors for treatment.
It consisted of:
-phone screen
-questionnaires (self, parent, spouse/friend/sibling)
-1 visit for testing (a few hours)
-1 visit for diagnosis review (maybe 45 minutes?)
-follow-up treatment (a few times a month) with medication, therapy, or both

Pros: free, good for anglos, researchers very friendly, rather simple process, no waiting list
Cons:doesn't guarantee long-term treatment, have to work around research schedule

If you haven't been diagnosed yet, give them a call and see if the study is still open:
Adult ADHD Research Program
Montreal Children's Hospital
Department of Psychiatry
4018 Ste Catherine St. West
Tel: (514) 412 4400 x 23286

Apparently there's also an UQAM-diagnosis option, though it has a waiting list. I also was in touch with another group: (http://www.cliniquetdahdemontreal.com/)
Nice people, but a couple hundred dollars for testing and entirely francophone (which may be good or bad depending on your mother tongue.)
I tried to contact several people at the Douglas, but never heard back.

The CLSC Route
This process shouldn't be that hard, but I certainly found it to be.
Basically, the CLSC is in charge of gatekeeping mental health services. You get them to make an appointment with a psychiatrist/therapist/social worker on your behalf. It goes like this:
1. Get form from CLSC (guichet d'accès en santé mentale)
2. Get family/clinic MD to sign form (their "referral")
3. Return form to CLSC; wait to be assigned doctor.
I'd say this takes a month minimum, and I have no idea whether this route can skip over a testing diagnosis, or even facilitate an appointment for one. But it's probably a good idea to do this anyway, so that when you need some mental health treatment you can get it.

On your own
Other options I've tried:

1. Getting treatment directly from family/clinic doctor.
After I had a diagnosis, I had no immediate way of getting treatment. CLSC was taking a long time, so I just brought my diagnosis to the walk-in clinic and got the MD there to prescribe trial meds. It's not the best solution (given that I probably knew more than she did about ADHD medications) but it beats having to wait a month or more to see a psychiatrist.

2. Making your own appointments with psychiatrists.
Technically, this isn't supposed to work, but it sometimes can. There are two psychiatrists at clinic MED-EGO (accepts RAMQ) that seem to operate outside the CLSC's grasp; I was able to get an appointment there without a referral.
They even claim to treat ADHD on their website, but I don't know if you could get a NEW diagnosis there or if it is simple designed for maintenance treatment for students (I'm not a student and was still able to get an appointment there.) Possibly worth a shot.

So my route was:
Montreal Children's Hospital Study ---> private therapy ---> Clinic doc for Rx ----> CLSC referral for psychiatrist (in the end, not helpful)

It definitely wasn't easy (not enough doctors, disconnected systems, two languages, not a lot of adult adhd familiarity) but it is possible.

My advice?

1. If you haven't yet been diagnosed, try to get into the children's hospital study (or maybe the UQAM one). I think paying upwards of $2500 to get diagnosed is criminal and not necessary. It's probably cheaper to cross the border to Burlington or Plattsburgh and pay for a visit or two to a psychiatrist there who can provide you with a referral.

2. Be bold and confident with your family/clinic doctors. I was afraid to ask for meds at first but in the end that was the only way it worked. If docs legally can't write scripts without an official written diagnosis, then I guess that's that - but I actually don't know if that is even true. Consider asking your doc whether you have an official Dx or not. Come armed with information - books about ADHD, the DSM, or treatment guidelines, and be prepared to take charge of your own treatment: start small (low dosage, only a few days of meds at a time), and keep very good notes of how you respond.

3. Do the CLSC-guichet process as a backup if you can't get treatment any other way. Do as much of this in person as possible - you'll likely get better and faster responses, and, if like me your French isn't perfect, in person is much easier to understand!

4. Finally, if you feel stuck and alone and confused (like I did), call the resources I've mentioned here, or that are available elsewhere online, and just ask for advice. This may work only one out of 10 times but any information you can get from people will help.
Honestly, anyone can handle jumping through hoops to get treatment - but they have to be told what the hoops are first!

BellaDiMott
09-10-14, 11:41 AM
Hello fellow Montrealers. I've been followed regularly by my psychiatrist at the Allan Memorial for a long time for depression. When I asked him if I could have ADHD instead of treatment-resistant depression, he said that it was highly probable and that he's had his suspicions since March (when he started me on Ritalin). He has sent a referral for diagnosis to the Children's (sent last Friday). I have no idea how long I will have to wait to be seen, but I know it's free.

Six years ago, my partner also got referred to the Children's for ADHD diagnosis. I remember that she didn't wait very long to be called and it was free. To my knowledge, it wasn't research based.

So, if it helps ShcShc, you should ask your doctor to refer you to the Children's. You might be able to get the diagnosis you need.

As someone who may have ADHD (I'm positive I do), the above posts are not all that encouraging. I've found a ton of info online, but I hope that I'll be able to get the proper treatment when I am finally diagnosed.