View Full Version : Any ADDers out there also DXed with a personality disorder?

jaimegerise
08-03-04, 11:28 PM
How many of us have also been DXed with a personality disorder???

I am a recovering Borderline (BPD). Anyone else?

exeter
09-05-04, 12:42 AM
PD NOS ;) Of course, I think that therapist was full of s***, though. :-) I think I am actually recovering from avoidant personality disorder.

auntchris
03-23-05, 04:27 PM
hi Jaime...I was dx with Borderline personality disorder a few years ago. The counselour I was working with left and now am still searching. Can't seem to find the right therapist and we clicked that was the thing.

NightStar
03-26-05, 11:50 AM
Chris, how are you doing, I currently have counselor, but not talked about BPD problem yet, but I see her on the 28th this month and hope we can have a conversation about this. She just diagnosed me as personality disorder.

auntchris
03-28-05, 04:56 AM
Not to good have been crying alot . Not being able to see a therapist is not helping either. I have been trying to find someone but it is so hard. No one is calling back and i get frustrated. At times I feel like giving up. It may take some time but I ususally get up, but this last problem I have encountered has really struck me for a loop. I just cant get out of this depression. Alot of bpd characteristics too are taking over. I have fallen out of the dbt program meaning practicing it. Well it bed time for me talk to you later. missya

NightStar
03-28-05, 06:14 AM
I understood, thought a bit harsh, but we can move forward on this none the less, get some sleep tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes always a start over.

I will send you e-mail tonight.

auntchris
03-28-05, 03:30 PM
not a good day today nightstar....dont think it ever will be now. bpd is taking over and am upset drastically about a situation I have no control over and it is tearing me apart.

NightStar
04-02-05, 06:07 AM
Hope you are feeling better, I had a few bad days myself, I have paranoid issues with my ex been brought back to surface last few days worry about him leaving me. Trying to get better, don't think medication is working as good as I would of liked, can't wait until 14th to adjust dosage.

I ordered that book, not sure when it will be in, but hoping soon, and by next week so you can meet my friend and we can start working on the skills manual.

Also share with you what I get from my counselor on building self esteem too.

auntchris
04-18-05, 12:21 AM
I hopw to hear from you soon Nightstar. I lookforward to the information on the bpd and self esteem . I hope you feel better.

NightStar
04-18-05, 08:12 AM
So glad to hear from you, yes I finally got the book. I am having trouble with the book, some of it seems so strange, on the things suppose to do, and ways that they expect thinking process to be.

I missed you, thought you were angry with me and not talking to me any more.

I have been slowly moving my stuff over to my new apartment recently, today I have to move some more stuff.

Oh good news I found a support group here, called Robert Young Center, they are going to give me an evaluation for BPD on the 2nd of may.

I am on new medication too, Geodon, the Abilify was causing trembling problems, but I think this medication is worse, been shaking sometimes too much. I have a feeling they are going to have to change medications on me again.

I have been having trouble still up and down with my emotions, just don't know what to do there. My counselor wants me to just move over to apartment, and try to get use to living by myself, but I don't want to, I want my SO with me.

Hope that you are ok, missed you, tried e-mailing you a few times.

Take care,

auntchris
04-19-05, 12:25 AM
So glad to hear from you, yes I finally got the book. I am having trouble with the book, some of it seems so strange, on the things suppose to do, and ways that they expect thinking process to be. Nightstar you have the manual right? what are you having problems processing or understand? There ar 4 modules. Mindfulness is a fancy word for awareness . Then there is Emotional Regualtion, Interpersonal Effefctiveness, Distress Tolerance. I went thru this stuff would be happy to talk to you and go over it with you.

I missed you, thought you were angry with me and not talking to me any more.
how could I be mad at you, you have been trying to support me. I am not mad at you hun. I am upset but not at you.

I have been slowly moving my stuff over to my new apartment recently, today I have to move some more stuff.

Oh good news I found a support group here, called Robert Young Center, they are going to give me an evaluation for BPD on the 2nd of may.

I am on new medication too, Geodon, the Abilify was causing trembling problems, but I think this medication is worse, been shaking sometimes too much. I have a feeling they are going to have to change medications on me again.

I have been having trouble still up and down with my emotions, just don't know what to do there. My counselor wants me to just move over to apartment, and try to get use to living by myself, but I don't want to, I want my SO with me.

Hope that you are ok, missed you, tried e-mailing you a few times.

Take care,

First what is SO. I think it will be good for you to learn to live on your own.:p I am still learning everyday. I know what it like going up and down with the emotions. I too, have been going through that myself. I think alot of it has to do with being on the computer and talking. The landlord has had some problems with the people in the building I live in. :soapbox: He is trying to get them out and I am being blamed for alot of the stuff going on when the only person I talk to is Mary my friend downstairs. I am fed up with this bs. going on in this building. I cant wait till it ends, then it will be peaceful :D again. One word of advice on the Geodin keep a diary of your symptoms. It is a strong drug, I know many people on it and some it worked good for and others not... Try emailing me again okay I miss talking to you.

NightStar
04-19-05, 01:12 AM
I was having trouble understanding parts of the manual that talk about being assertive, I have not read too much, most of it is out of grasp for me, and complicated with the medical terms... I had to google search to figure out what the word Liable meant, stuff like that... I also have homework from my counselor to read about boundries and self esteem.

My one friend has been on drinking beinge so not helping me with the book yet, but he e-mails me every day and listens to me. Most of the time I feel like I am wandering around rambling to myself trying to get help. But it is just too much to coup with.

Oh SO means Significant Other (my ex-husband).

I have been having trouble, mood swings just dependant on him all of the time, I cry easily trying to talk to him, every time I try to tell him how I feel, he points out that he has it worse, and that I have not been thinking about him, how he feels... all I want is for him to acknowledge me and love me. But I get all confused and feel inferior to him, so I mess up when I have something I want to talk about, he just turns it around on me, and it becomes a pick session... when that is not where I wanted it to go.

I will do that with the Geodon, keeping track on the trembling problem. Least I finally stopped biting my toung all the time, that was driving me crazy. I don't know what I am suppose to expect with these different medications. I am still on the zoloft also.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with landlord and tenants, hopefully it won't be too long that things are back to normal.

Look forward to e-mailing again, miss chating with you. Take care

Scatterbrainz
09-06-05, 08:21 PM
Hi Jamie-

I am also a recovering borderline as well. Havent SId for 4 years and running and am getting out of supported community living and into my own place soon. Yaaaayyyy! It was a long uphill battle but it was well worth the fight.

I have a few of the paranoid issues myself but not nearly as bad or overwhelming as they were. I learned to deal with them to the point that they dont interfere and basically turn them off and catch myself.

Take care

Matt S.
03-17-06, 05:47 PM
i have OCPD i am obsessed with rules, shop "cheap" to get needs and prepare for adhd med wearoff (impulsiveness...the catastrophy) have to overly obsess about things to learn or remember them or practice routines excessively to prepare for the possibility of missing my meds and i am comfortable with being dominated (figuratively stating) complying with the "rules" yet in my mind I hate the rules Past dx of ODD as a kid this pd is sort of the passive-aggressive ODD with being "in control" i am a clean freak and i feel odd in places without a clear set of rules... it is a strange personality disorder... nothing at all like the Actual OCD itself... in fact they say that the two disorders aren't in the same spectrum and it is highly unlikely that OCD and OCPD will even coexist in people... well according to statistics that ive read

runinl8
03-17-06, 06:00 PM
I have been dx with schizoid Personality. My doctor was trying to explain this to me and he said "basically you're just weird." He was being funny. But I can live with weird. :D

Scattered
03-17-06, 07:41 PM
I've never officially been diagnosed with a personality disorder. I came out high in Avoidant and Dependent years ago on a psychological assessment test I took. I was reading over the personality disorders recently and so many of the traits can be explained by ADD. I'm sure it's very possible to have ADD and a personality disorder, but I also think ADDers frequently get personality disorder diagnosis for just plain old ADD or ADD accomodations (IE: I used to have an abnormal psyc profession who relentlessly teased me about being OCPD because I was always checking and rechecking everything -- well duh! I'm ADD, there was no other way I could get the information I needed to get through school!

Dependent traits can be partially explained by the fact that we really NEED other people, because we can't get it all together on our own. My parents were always providing a safety net for me and helping me understand things when I got confused.

Avoidant can be brought on because we miss social cues,are frequently criticized or rejected in social situations.

BPD has a lot of overlap too with ADD traits. Impulsivity in potentially self damaging ways certainly fits, unstable, intense interpersonal relationships, problems with self image especially when suffering undiagnosed ADD.

Narcissistic traits might at times be mistaken for the seeming self absorption displayed by many ADDers, fantasizing, and lack of empathy because they don't follow someone else's conversation and keep coming back to their own agenda.

Anyway, I just think that if ADD is present -- any personality disorder has to be examined very carefully to be sure it's not just similar appearing (but different motivationally) behavior.

Scattered

SandiRella
03-22-06, 11:00 PM
Seems like so many personality disorders overlap and I wonder what harm might be done with a definitive diagnosis----you know, like a self-fulfillling prophecy. I remember in college my professor warning us that we'd see ourselves in all the different disorders as we discussed them. Yep. Some days I wish I'd never heard of ADD or read a self-help book or even watched Dr. Phil!!! Ignorance being bliss and all:)

Scattered
03-28-06, 12:18 AM
Seems like so many personality disorders overlap and I wonder what harm might be done with a definitive diagnosis----you know, like a self-fulfillling prophecy. I remember in college my professor warning us that we'd see ourselves in all the different disorders as we discussed them. Yep. Some days I wish I'd never heard of ADD or read a self-help book or even watched Dr. Phil!!! Ignorance being bliss and all:)Yep -- I think there is a risk. I also know the feeling of wanting to close back up Pandora's box -- no going back though.

Take care,
Scattered

Naomi2
03-28-06, 09:24 AM
I was just wondering - can someone have more than one PD?

Scattered
03-28-06, 01:17 PM
I think so -- but one is generally already more than you want!:p Also something I learned is that having a personality disorder is not like having ADHD -- it doesn't have to be a permanant part of one's life -- since it is learned behavior it can be unlearned (although it takes dedication, time and effort).:)

Scattered

mccoffee
03-30-06, 09:54 PM
I belive yrs ago i was dx with boarderline disorder saw it in my high school records to be honest.

Now i just have jerk or negative creep :)

Scattered
03-31-06, 03:55 PM
I belive yrs ago i was dx with boarderline disorder saw it in my high school records to be honest.

Now i just have jerk or negative creep :)As they say, "Time heals all wounds!":p

(You're lucky you don't have my therapist -- you'd be practicing positive affirmations in the mirror for months too come!):D

Scattered

runinl8
03-31-06, 04:32 PM
Yep -- I think there is a risk. I also know the feeling of wanting to close back up Pandora's box -- no going back though.
Take care,
Scattered
My husband and I were discussing this the other day. I didn't know how screwed up I really am until I was seeking help for the ADHD. Now I find out I have This and That. Honestly I thought, except for the ADHD, I was fine.:)

Nova
03-31-06, 06:23 PM
I was diagnosed with having Borderline PD, when I was young, and that diagnosis is currently up to date.

*fear of abandonment*
Whether real or imagined.

My mom *up and left* when I was seven, to never return, and I haven't stopped fearing being abandoned since.

Scattered
04-02-06, 06:52 AM
I was diagnosed with having Borderline PD, when I was young, and that diagnosis is currently up to date.

*fear of abandonment*
Whether real or imagined.

My mom *up and left* when I was seven, to never return, and I haven't stopped fearing being abandoned since.I'm adopted, so I'm pretty familiar with the abandonment fears thing too (although having an on site mom leave at seven is much, much worse, IMO). My therapist doesn't think though that I have the black and white thinking about relationships characteristic of bipolar. Like McT says, it takes more than one symptom to make a diagnosis.I think just by virtue of being a normal ADDer we meet several symptoms, but I'm not sure the reasons for the symptoms or the purpose they serve are the same. I may be wrong. In any case, like I learned in one of my counseling classes, the map is not the terrain. (sp?) The label isn't the person, just a generalized description. Think about how many times the name and description for ADD has changes since it was first identified (Minimal Brain Dysfunction, Minimimal Brain Damage, Hyperkinesis, Hyperactivity, ADD, ADHD, and a few more). Understanding the person and what they're experiencing is the key thing, as well as identifying appropriate medication and therapeutic treatment options.

Scattered

STYLe4MotiOn
04-02-06, 09:42 AM
Surprised for not seeing any narcissistic disorders; narcissistic is more common than schizoid, wich I've seen once here, under ADHD people.

Or better formulated, 90% of the narcisists have ADHD.

This is neurologically connected, but is tooooo long for me to explain (God, haven't taken the meds today, and a bit ballistic inside.. you know)

I'm not diagnosed with Narcissistic PD, and I don't believe I have the personality disorder -- but I have lots of times that I see myself as a holy man.
I guess this is the fantasy going loose (no inhibitions!), plus a personality based on getting MORE and MORE appreciation for the Self ...

mccoffee
04-05-06, 04:15 PM
As they say, "Time heals all wounds!":p

(You're lucky you don't have my therapist -- you'd be practicing positive affirmations in the mirror for months too come!):D

Scattered
To bad stewart smaling wasn't around anymore you know the guy from snl

I'm good enough
i'm smart enough
gosh darn it people like me

MafiaKiddo
04-19-06, 07:37 AM
My doctors said I have "narcissistic tendancies" but never was diagnosed with the actual personality disorder. I don't know if "tendancies" actually classifies as anything at least I don't think it does. I think of it as my doctor's way of saying I'm a jerk but not enough of a jerk to actually be classified as one. LOL

I've also gotten conflicting diagnosises from different doctors. The one that bothers me the most is Anti Social PD. Some say I have it while others say I just have a Conduct Disorder. Then they don't even agree on if an adult can have a Conduct Disorder or not, some say yes some say no.

I choose not to accept the Anti-Social diagnosis as being correct. Obviously if my doctors don't agree on it then it can't be a definitive answer. It's not like they've never misdiagnosed someone before.

Or maybe I'm just in denial. :D I'm happy in denial so if that's the case I'll stay here for awhile.

Nova
04-20-06, 01:26 AM
I'm adopted, so I'm pretty familiar with the abandonment fears thing too (although having an on site mom leave at seven is much, much worse, IMO). My therapist doesn't think though that I have the black and white thinking about relationships characteristic of bipolar. Like McT says, it takes more than one symptom to make a diagnosis.... In any case, like I learned in one of my counseling classes, the map is not the terrain....The label isn't the person, just a generalized description....Understanding the person and what they're experiencing is the key thing, as well as identifying appropriate medication and therapeutic treatment options.

Scattered,
Thank you, so much, for your kind words.
You, have no idea, just how much they mean to me.

Nova

dormammau2008
04-24-06, 03:06 PM
true sactted......your not a ladbile i allways say iam not the one with the porblem you as as in them.....if you get what i mean....dorm

NightStar
05-13-06, 08:24 PM
I have multiple disorders:

Post Tramatic Stress Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Attention Deficit Disorder
Bipolar I
Borderline Personality

Come from past physical, mental, and sexual abuse, entered foster care at the age of 8 and jumped so many homes in the years up until I was adopted at age 15.

I have insecurities about myself and been in more relationships then I can count and going on my second marriage soon. Not all the years have I been taking medication. But I am now on several. Geodone, Zoloft, Clonzepam, and Concerta.

auntchris
05-21-06, 03:33 PM
hey nightstar.

it is good to see you hope you are doing well. Alot has changed since last yr. I am on Stratterra and celexa and doing well after reading my post. I also am in college. Taking a semester off due to a broken foot.

I know i am inse cure too when it come to relationship whether with men or woman.
I was abused by the kids at school 6-8 and high school was not good either . Mom says I blocked alot of it out . hope you are well.

NightStar
05-21-06, 03:59 PM
Hey great to see you, thought about you from time to time, how you where doing. You sound like you are doing better. I finally got past my breakdown from my divorce. Met a new guy, He is younger then me, I am his first girlfriend, and he treats me like I am a queen, and that is pretty nice for once. He dotes on me all of the time.

It is a busier life with him in it, I am constantly pulled into outings and family gatherings, it is very different life from my usual stay at home attitude.

Sorry to hear about your foot, hope that gets to feeling better soon. I would like to go back to school myself, but for now I just continue working for a web site that pays me for my professional advice helping consumers with credit reporting problems. I make like 50 cents per post, and that gives me extra 50-100 per month so that helps some. SSI said I was alowed to make up to 600 per month if I wanted to and not loose my disability.

But I do worry about the marriage if SSI would take away income from my soon to be husband Jesse, he has severe arthritis, and has needs for additonal surgeries. He is not on disability like me, since he never worked to build up disability.

Well you take care of yourself, was really a nice suprise seeing you again.

janet1969
08-12-06, 12:48 AM
Yes, I am adhd and borderline personality.

Janet

nzkiwi
11-27-06, 03:13 AM
Therapists like to label people with personality disorders, it seems more like a character flaw than a biological disorder responsive to medicine. Let's not focus on the diagnosis but the symptoms and treatment. I understand you need to label people before you can begin treatment, but i can't see how labelling someone with a personality disorder can be helpful. A personality disorder seems so set in it's ways and hard to treat. Treat the symptoms not the diagnosis. Results people, Results!:D

*~ žEEK ~*
11-27-06, 04:57 PM
I wonder why the poll didn't include:

1) ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder)
2) CD (Conduct Disorder)
3) Bipolar Disorder
4) Avoidant Personality Disorder

I don't necessarily have any of those, but both of my adopted brother's boys have ADD with ODD/CD and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few Bipolar ADDers here on our forums.

I was just curious, are those 4 disorders above not considered "true" personality" disorders or something? Or did the original poster just forget these 4 items?

Thx :)

Scattered
11-27-06, 07:21 PM
Therapists like to label people with personality disorders, it seems more like a character flaw than a biological disorder responsive to medicine. Let's not focus on the diagnosis but the symptoms and treatment. I understand you need to label people before you can begin treatment, but i can't see how labelling someone with a personality disorder can be helpful. A personality disorder seems so set in it's ways and hard to treat. Treat the symptoms not the diagnosis. Results people, Results!:DVery well said -- it seems like a prejudice that still remains in psychiatry that we have "personality" disorders. Depression, anxiety, OCD, and so many other diagnosis are now recognized as biochemical in nature, but certain ones still earn you a personality disorder label. I think it's a cop out therapists take when they don't know how to treat the condition effectively. If you look at the criteria for many personality disorder, especially borderline, many of the traits listed could be caused by the poor filter on emotions, responses and such typical of ADDers.

Scattered

Nova
11-28-06, 03:06 PM
Seek,
Bipolar Disorder is not considered a 'personality' disorder.

*~ žEEK ~*
11-28-06, 08:58 PM
Seek,
Bipolar Disorder is not considered a 'personality' disorder. Ok, thanks! Still not sure about ODD and CD though.

I think that "Avoidant Personality Disorder" might be a new thing, but I'm not really sure. It's new to me! :) I mean, I never heard of it before until a week ago.

Nova
11-28-06, 11:32 PM
All the 'PD's, that are listed on this poll, are listed on the DSM IV.