View Full Version : Lab Tests: what did your doc order?

PrairieGrasses
11-21-10, 08:11 AM
On my first visit to the psychiatrist she ordered a number of labs. I am curious if others also had lab work ordered as well. I would expect there are a few "routine" labs that some doc's get for all suspected or diagnosed ADD folks. What is your experience?

Labs Ordered:
Vitamin D
B12
Thyroid studies
Testosterone studies
Liver panel

Imnapl
11-21-10, 12:46 PM
On my first visit to the psychiatrist she ordered a number of labs. I am curious if others also had lab work ordered as well. I would expect there are a few "routine" labs that some doc's get for all suspected or diagnosed ADD folks. What is your experience?

Labs Ordered:
Vitamin D
B12
Thyroid studies
Testosterone studies
Liver panelMy daughter was recently diagnosed by a psychiatrist and had to have lab work done. She was deficient in B12 which may have been the reason she was dealing with mild depression.

nova2012
11-21-10, 02:00 PM
Huh. I didn't know this was standard practice, but it does make sense. My psychiatrist didn't order any test. She just diagnosed me based on my answers to one of those questionnaires and my history (and my mom's account of said). But I recently told her my thyroid levels were a little off, so I'm going to get those fixed before starting on any other meds.

PrairieGrasses
11-22-10, 03:58 PM
Imanaple and NOVA2012
Thanks for your replies.
In that you are the only two to reply I suspect most folks don't have lab work as part of an initial diagnosis. I expect that most lab work is to help identify comorbid conditions and not for the primary ADD diagnosis..

Imnapl
11-22-10, 11:01 PM
Imanaple and NOVA2012
Thanks for your replies.
In that you are the only two to reply I suspect most folks don't have lab work as part of an initial diagnosis. I expect that most lab work is to help identify comorbid conditions and not for the primary ADD diagnosis..That's my understanding too. My daughter's bloodwork showed lower levels of B vitamins which the doctor said could explain her symptoms of mild depression.