View Full Version : Your thoughts on reincarnation

Bluerose
11-21-10, 05:50 PM
How can we be afraid of something that we have never experienced? Take me for instance, I'm scared of the thought of dying in a fire. I'm also afraid to be out on the water and have never learned to swim. Some people believe reincarnation can explain these fears; that perhaps we, in another life, died by the thing we are so afraid of now. What do you think?

Marspider
11-21-10, 06:01 PM
Those are logical fears that have seeped into your unconscious from the surrounding society. I would find it intriguing if it was a specific kind of death.
I for example am very frightened of dying by tiger or a big cat. But I and all of us are from small primate stock who were hunted for millions of years by big cats so it's natural. Even now humans can be hunted by lion or tiger.
I'm not that scared of wolves though.

Don't discount all the ideas absorbed from society. We do watch lots of movies that our primitive brains don't realise are not real.

How can we be afraid of something that we have never experienced? Take me for instance, I'm scared of the thought of dying in a fire. I'm also afraid to be out on the water and have never learned to swim. Some people believe reincarnation can explain these fears; that perhaps we, in another life, died by the thing we are so afraid of now. What do you think?

Mignon
11-21-10, 11:01 PM
Bluerose, I just deleted a reply since it got to be so wordy. I'd be interested to see read a thread that beings with a poll Do you recall (suspected) past life experiences Y/N? This forum gets a lot of readers from all over, so it could be an interesting sampling.

And then people would write about their memories if any. Put my down for Yes, extensively.

Issy12385
11-22-10, 12:27 AM
Anything is possible... I am scared to death of dying in a plane crash.... so scared that I will no longer fly (and my husband hates it...):(

mctavish23
11-22-10, 12:34 AM
I must have been a rocket scientist or math whiz then, because I clearly am

at a Cro Magnon level now.

Same for art work.

I must have been the Rembrandt of cave art, although I could pretty much

step right back in and draw more stick figures,etc.

Perhaps I was the Pope though, as I dig those hats. :p

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Bluerose
11-22-10, 08:25 PM
From what I’ve read there seems to be two explanations for these fears and the experiences of past lives. 1) it’s reincarnation. 2) It’s genetic memories; your ancestors imprint on your genes. It’s too complicated to post about. I’ve read a lot about it and I’m still not convinced of either. But there is something going on. I have had a few strange experiences, like flashbacks.

Let me try to describe one of them. A few years back I was walking my dog in the woods. The dog was a little ahead of me, it was a lovely day with the sun coming through the trees. Strolling along, I was swinging the dogs lead around my back from side to side. Suddenly for a few second I was in a garden walking along a path where the trees above leant over to meet each other. I was in a nun’s habit and swinging a rope around my waist as I walked and prayed. Then suddenly I was back in the woods. I turned around and went home. I never told anyone about it. I just thought is was weird.

EshkaronsEngine
11-22-10, 09:39 PM
During a period in which I was manic I started talking to spirits and believe I contacted my dead grandma. I felt that she was biding her time in the spirit world until she knew I would be alright. When I said that I loved her and thank-you I will be fine I felt immense joy for I knew she had started a new re-incarnation. I do believe in it because I was raised not to and so deep down in my soul I feel it and now I have experienced it through some soul searching.

Sandy4957
11-22-10, 10:03 PM
Bluerose, I think that certain fears are instinctive, i.e., genetically imprinted. 1000 lb. horses are afraid of birds because once upon a time, birds were bigger than horses' predecessors.

That's not to say that I don't believe in reincarnation. I just think that fear of fire or drowning are ingrained.

I like your flashback story. :) I don't have anything that vivid, but whenever I am driving in a car watching the land move past, I picture the same view from horseback. Maybe I was a Pony Express rider in a past life! :D

sarek
11-23-10, 03:59 AM
I do not have any special extreme fears, although I am hardly a brave person. But I do have something of an obsession with certain eras of history, with certain countries and with military life although in this life I am the furthest removed from the image of a military person imaginable.
But of course, none of that needs to mean anything. We all have our likes and dislikes and our interests.

Bluerose
11-23-10, 01:03 PM
I think you have something there. I seem to have a certain affinity with stories of the south, I love the southern accent, and I love long dresses. I can often be found sitting in a restaurant fanning myself with the menu. lol

Kunga Dorji
12-12-10, 07:02 AM
I think that believing in reincarnation is a very clever thing to do.
If one believes in reincarnation then there is no way out- and one is motivated to work towards living the most meaningful life possible.
The twist I put on it is that I sort of see it like getting kept in after school till after the homework is done.

Having said that, there are people who research and collect stories of past life recollections, and the stories of the recognition of reincarnated lamas in Tibetan Buddhism are detailed, and recounted by people whose personal spiritual path involves a great respect for accuracy and honesty. That is second hand evidence, but personally I put great weight on it.

sarek
12-12-10, 07:18 AM
Perhaps we only have recollections of some of those specific reincarnations. I would go as far as believing that everyone on this Earth and anywhere else in the universe may be a reincarnation of the same entity.

tipoo
12-12-10, 11:18 AM

I don't think fears of things we haven't experienced can be used as proof of reincarnation. Think of it in evolutionary terms, would the girl who cant swim and is afraid of water survive longer, or the one who can't swim and isn't afraid to jump in? Its something ingrained into our psyche. Besides that, people fear the unknown in general.

Maybe take a look at this

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/10/1004_snakefears.html

Kunga Dorji
12-13-10, 06:20 AM
Perhaps we only have recollections of some of those specific reincarnations. I would go as far as believing that everyone on this Earth and anywhere else in the universe may be a reincarnation of the same entity.

That's going deep. Vedanta anybody?

It does explain that moment of recognition when one really connects with another person though.

Bluerose
12-17-10, 07:11 AM
I have always liked or disliked someone right off. Doesn’t make me sound like a very nice person but I am almost always right. I think it comes from being very intuitive. Or perhaps I met them in a past life and they done me wrong. :)

I do believe an awful lot goes on under the surface that we are unaware of (DID aside). :)

In my twenties and thirties I struggled a lot to cope with life. One day, I remember it well, I hadn’t been sleeping and I was very tired and at the end of my rope. I remember thinking that I didn’t care anymore what happened. I simply thought, enough is enough!! Then I waited for the sky to fall - it didn’t.

After that it felt like I had taken a back seat and simply went with the flow. Things began to improve. I realised that I had been getting in my own way, and worrying too much about things that would take care of themselves. Life got easier. It wasn’t paradise but life was much more peaceful.

sarek
12-17-10, 10:23 AM
That's going deep. Vedanta anybody?

It does explain that moment of recognition when one really connects with another person though.

Vedanta could be a way of seeing this. Although the full story is always more encompassing.

Yes, I do believe the recognition of another person is also a very significant point in this.

When I met my gf there was this instant totally inexplicable sense of knowing each other. It may sound dreadfully clichéd but there was this notion of 'where have you been all this time' but we meant it in a very literal way.

And what makes this so much more poignant is that all my life I have been daydreaming about relationships with girls who can almost be said to be 'shadows' of the real her.

Strangely, while that can be a sign of the existence of a greater connection, it may also be the law of attraction at work.
It may even be both but I am afraid that is beyond words to explain.

And I wish to add that some thirty years back or so I began to entertain this alternative explanation for people who claim to remember past lives. I even presented my case to my family.

I would argue the position that while the knowledge that would-be reincarnated people claimed to possess might very well be real and perhaps in some cases even verifiable, that still would not prove conclusively that this remembered past life was really their past life. Is there a rule against remembering someone else's life? We have youtube after all.

Abi
12-17-10, 10:30 AM
I think its about clicking with people who share things in common with us

And what makes this so much more poignant is that all my life I have been daydreaming about relationships with girls who can almost be said to be 'shadows' of the real her.

I also have an ide of my "ideal girL in my head, though I have not met her yet.

I think when one DOES meet someone who fits "the profile" of the type of person one always wanted to be with, its easy to believe that you knew each other in a past life, etc... when in fact its simply a case of having finally found the kind of person you've always wanted.

Glad you have.

Cross fingers for the rest of us who are still waiting :)

EshkaronsEngine
12-17-10, 11:38 AM
I have heard it said that those with ADHD are old souls. I'm not entirely sure I know what this means. For myself I feel I have lived at least 10000 years ago because I'm always surprised and amazed at technology. I have become somewhat of a tech wizard as of late but seriously I get off on soap. Like just this morning I can't believe how well soap washed my glasses?:cool:

Abi
12-17-10, 11:40 AM
Drinking glasses, or spectacles?

If spectacles, are they tinted?

EshkaronsEngine
12-17-10, 11:49 AM
Drinking glasses, or spectacles?

If spectacles, are they tinted?
spectacles and no no tint.

zannie
12-17-10, 01:13 PM
It is interesting to think about reincarnation. I do think it is possible that it could explain certain fears or aversions we have that seem to come from nowhere that we understand personally. I kind of like the oversoul idea that we are all part of a larger soul which is also part of an even larger soul and on and on.

Having said this I am often in an agnostic postion about spiritual matters. I think it comes from embracing everything with out question when i first started to get involved i this type of thing. I started to realize that there are multple explanations for things and maybe the pendulm swung to far to the skeptical side at first. Now i think I am approaching the middle.

And I am still facinated with accounts of reincarnation experiences. I would be interested hearing them. It was cool that Bluerose felt that she was in the nuns habit when walking her dog. It seems to be a vivid memory and i am inclined to believe that it is true.

Bluerose
12-18-10, 09:05 AM
I’m getting on now so it’s easy to look back with hindsight and see how the puzzle fits together.

Brought up in an abusive home I had serious trust issues. Other issues too as it turned out but we were unaware of DID at the time. I didn’t have many boyfriends. Then at nineteen, I met my ex. The trust thing was always there but he was a smart guy and he was very patient. We had what I would describe a stormy marriage. It was often like the start of world war three. If I was to describe our relationship I’d say it was like The taming of the shrew. We were married for twenty years.

Now here comes the bit that most people struggle to understand. I asked him for a divorce. We sat down and talked it over and we both agreed. Cut a long story short I let him go. He did everything for me that he could - he had taken care of me until I could take care of myself. He was only forty, still time for him to find some happiness.

I wrote him a poem, something about being a good and loving servant and now I shall set you free.

I never had another relationship. He had a few and is in one now and seems to be doing okay. He still comes around, calls, and asks how I am.

Now here’s my point. Married to anyone else I would never have made it this far. I’m convinced he was meant to be the one. This is a guy who would give you his last penny. He was no walkover. He was in the parachute regiment and was awarded the BEM (the British empire medal) among others for long service and good conduct.

I hesitate to commit to this as a belief but I play with the idea that we have met before and he sort of looks out for me. And perhaps in the next life it will be my turn to look out for him.

There’s definitely more to Heaven and Earth than we will ever understand.

sarek
12-18-10, 11:06 AM
I certainly believe that too Bluerose. There is no way to ever convince a sceptical brain of things like this, but sometimes you just have to leave scepticism behind.
What I do know is that somehow everything in my(addmittedly rather uneventful) life seems to somehow fit together. That is up to and especially including meeting my gf. Somewhere, somehow I just know that it had to be this way and no other way.

Bluerose
12-20-10, 10:30 AM
When my kids were going through the dating and breaking up stage I used to try to comfort them with the idea that we meet other people and spend some time with them because we have something to teach each other, that done we move on. And the one’s who stay together are the one’s who have the most to teach each other. My guy certainly taught me loads. He taught me about love - something I never really felt on the inside until my first child was born. He showed me that life wasn’t all about suffering.

sarek
12-20-10, 03:16 PM
Thank you so much for saying that Rose. Because that is the same thing I hope to share with my beloved as well and i hope that fate shall make it so.

Kunga Dorji
12-21-10, 07:25 PM
Vedanta could be a way of seeing this. Although the full story is always more encompassing.

Yes, I do believe the recognition of another person is also a very significant point in this.

When I met my gf there was this instant totally inexplicable sense of knowing each other. It may sound dreadfully clichéd but there was this notion of 'where have you been all this time' but we meant it in a very literal way.

Strangely, while that can be a sign of the existence of a greater connection, it may also be the law of attraction at work.
It may even be both but I am afraid that is beyond words to explain.

And I wish to add that some thirty years back or so I began to entertain this alternative explanation for people who claim to remember past lives. I even presented my case to my family.

I would argue the position that while the knowledge that would-be reincarnated people claimed to possess might very well be real and perhaps in some cases even verifiable, that still would not prove conclusively that this remembered past life was really their past life. Is there a rule against remembering someone else's life? We have youtube after all.

My experience with my wife was very similar. I still find it intriguing to consider how well suited we are- as our relative strengths and weaknesses complement each other so well. It is apparent now that those relative strengths and weaknesses really were very much present before we met and we are not just rationalisng having "grown together"- though that has happened too.

The past life material I have seen does seem to explain some basic predilections of the current personality, which implies some sort of continuity. However, the question of just what it is that gets reincarnated is quite mind bogglingly complex. Certainly there are Buddhist practitioners who report direct knowledge of dwelling in what they call "the clear light of death".

Alan Wallace states the the personality of an individual incarnated person can be likened to a snowflake- each one is unique, but that after death the consciousness regresses back to a totally undifferentiated form analogous to a drop of water. I have no direct experience- but it is a deeply interesting observation, especially as it has been repeatedly documented by mystics from many different traditions.

Bluerose
02-01-11, 01:57 PM
Thanks people this was very helpful indeed.

Any more thoughts on reincarnation, folks?