View Full Version : Technology is ALL about SWITCHES(buttons)

EshkaronsEngine
11-22-10, 03:12 PM
I am just at the rudimentary stages at learning computer programming. I bought a Nintendo DS game called DIY where you learn how to make games and build AI for them. As I was doing some problems I realized that everything comes down to making the computer notice if a SWITCH is either on or off.

Whenever I run into a technical issue I do not run to the instruction manual instead I start pushing buttons and through this process realize the algorithm:confused: that makes the gadget work.

Anyone else realize this about technology? That really it all comes down to pressing the right buttons in the right sequence. So I think this means technology comes down to LOGIC or maybe MATH?

EshkaronsEngine
11-29-10, 09:33 PM
If you are open-minded enough you will realize that we ourselves are technology and the science points out that at specific times at our earliest developments specific<a href="http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/138969.php">genetic </a>switches turned on and off making us who we are today.

Mignon
11-29-10, 09:40 PM
Esh. you seem like a person who might like to read Christopher Alexander, Nikos Salingaros and especially Stephen Wolfram (Wolfram Mathematica)'s stuff.

There was a big breakthrough in the 1970s (or was it 1980?) with computing. Well, I'll let Arthur C. Clarke tell it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8m85p7GsU&feature=&p=94A0D40E445E942E&index=0&playnext=1

Yeah genes are algorithms (did I say that right?) and living things are electric terminals comprised of yet more electric terminals. Cool stuff.

EshkaronsEngine
11-30-10, 03:31 AM
Thanks mignon that I think has put a nail in it all for me. I am a firm believer that there is nothing new under the sun that somehow we just have to rediscover everything. Halfway through those videos I couldn't resist thinking if a fractal was at the bottom of Consciousness and sure enough I had already posted it I just had to rediscover it for myself. Here's the link (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89277&highlight=consciousness+equation&page=2)

doiadhd
11-30-10, 03:54 AM
technology built us to build it

EshkaronsEngine
11-30-10, 02:10 PM
I concur. After watching those videos about the Mandelbrot set I realize that we are at once reaching for the stars while continually moving inward and pulling out of ourselves. Soon I believe we will have made technology that will be able to think like us but truly I do not think machines will ever be conscious as I believe this is the fire of the gods and was bequeathed on us at the very beginning of the universal fractal. In a way I think WE are the fractal and out of us emanates us so I think we are the singularities upon which all subsequent technologies are hung.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhsupNrvGo&feature=fvsr">we r the seeds of the universe</a>

Mignon
11-30-10, 03:26 PM

I suspect that my kittys' robo litterbot is attaining reflective consciousness.

EshkaronsEngine
12-12-10, 02:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSWjkYAjAzA

Even the fire from the gods came in a switch. The flash of lightning creating fire. We now are not only masters of fire we also control electricity and still it is all about switches. From the bonfire to the candle to the light switch technology has always been all or nothing.

tipoo
12-12-10, 11:10 AM
Anyone else realize this about technology? That really it all comes down to pressing the right buttons in the right sequence. So I think this means technology comes down to LOGIC or maybe MATH?

Yes, a switch can either be on or off, a 1 or a 0. Thats a bit simplistic though as modern processors can have billions of switches/transistors, like a reaalllly long assembly line where each worker, or switch, can do either one function or the other. Intel's Nehalem EX processor (their 8 core Core i7, in human terms) has 2,300,000,000 transistors. Nvidia's Geforce GTX580 graphics chip has 3,000,000,000,000. So think about how many total transistors would be in a supercomputer with tens of thousands of these chips!

I'm in second year CS right now, what programming languages are you learning? I've done Java and C++.

EshkaronsEngine
12-13-10, 01:21 AM
Computer Programming is a huge uphill battle for me. I am really surprised ADHDers can do it at all. I have a lot of difficulty focusing on all the little details.

I am great with the "overall" view but could care less about the details. I need to buy a newer computer so I can install Excel 2010. I bought a book about how to program with it.

I have books on HTML, Perl, Basic, Ruby etc... but I will really have to try hard to get through them. Good luck with school. I never was able to stick with it cause I find their regimented way of teaching too boring.

EshkaronsEngine
12-14-10, 02:47 PM
I think another word for Technology could be Evolution and it's impetus is war. From the very beginnings of intelligent life it was war. Whichever organism had better technology killed off the lesser equipped. So the switches were 1 vs 1 = 1 and 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m28a0i0gQ5M

addkid92
01-15-11, 09:51 AM
I am just at the rudimentary stages at learning computer programming. I bought a Nintendo DS game called DIY where you learn how to make games and build AI for them. As I was doing some problems I realized that everything comes down to making the computer notice if a SWITCH is either on or off.

Whenever I run into a technical issue I do not run to the instruction manual instead I start pushing buttons and through this process realize the algorithm:confused: that makes the gadget work.

Yes, boolean logic - TRUE or FALSE: can be represented in comp sci by 0's and 1's where 0=false, true=1. In this particular situation, you discovered the input algorithms of the device. Technology is about interaction, programmers design their software to immerse the client or user into his or her program. So yes, in a way technology is all "switches" or boolean logic - as technologies gotta keep the masses immersed somehow right?

EshkaronsEngine
01-15-11, 03:00 PM
as technologies gotta keep the masses immersed somehow right?
I love this. Totally! I feel totally immersed in technology as if it were water I was swimming in. I find it absolutely amazing how technology can seem so fluid when it is only built on 1s an 0s.