View Full Version : Depression or my ADHD?

beachhouse
11-22-10, 11:32 PM
Hello.. I was raised in a house with one older sister, and my two parents. My mother was diagnosed with manic depression and OCD after I was born. She recieved successful treatment for for her depression but has lived with OCD since then. It manifests itself in a strange way, being that nobody in the house can clean or touch anything. Her lonliness has made her into a cruel and verbally abusive person who will do anything to see that she gets her way. My father drinks a bit and does everything for my mother like he's her own personal doormat. I figure this is because of him being in love with the person she used to be. Finally, there's my sister. I love her more than anyone. She enlisted in the Navy last year and is never coming home.
I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 7 years old. In the begining I was good at taking care of it, testing three times a day, giving myself the appropriate amount of insulin, etc. But now, I honstly can't bring myself to care. I view my diabetes as important but I feel as though the only reason i view it that way is because everyone around me tells me to. It's so unimportant that sometimes I find myself forgetting to give myself insulin. I haven't tested my blood sugar in three weeks. I know I'm killing myself and that scares me.. I want to live, to be happy.. But it doesnt motivate me at all!
Then theres school. I hate every moment of it. From bullying to tedious classwork that won't serve me in the least.. I feel like it's the bane of my existance. I know inside, that school is the only thing that can get me out of my house, but, again, I can't bring myself to feel much for it. I lack motivation in every form. I skip at least one of my classes a day. My future is draining away, and I care.. but I can't bring myself to do anything about it. The only happiness I feel is from social interaction. I wonder sometimes if I'm substituting friends for the family I never had.

So my real question is; is the lack of motivation a manifestation of my ADHD or is it something deeper? Thanks for your time

baaadgoat
11-22-10, 11:51 PM
Definitely depression. Serious depression. You need to find help.

Nancy18
11-25-10, 12:30 PM
I'm so sorry about your current situation. I couldn't tell how old you are - if you are in high school or college. In either case, is there a counselor at school or maybe a local social service agency that you can talk to? It must be difficult to feel so hopeless. I hope things get better for you soon!

Nancy18
11-25-10, 12:43 PM
Another thought - maybe consider talking to your family doctor or endocrinologist (if you have one) about how you are doing? I've heard that hormone levels can affect mood - maybe they can do something about it.

ADHDAlbert
11-26-10, 02:47 PM
It's sounds like depression to me, but depression and ADHD are very common together. It also sounds like you have it a bit ruff. I agree with Nancy18, try to find some help. It can make a world of difference. See a doctor to make sure nothing is out of wack (hormones, diet, other med conditions) AND see a mental health professional. It might take a while to get back up to par, (I went through multiple counselors before I found one that helped) but it's the best thing you can do for yourself.

If you like social interaction, get more! Join a club, or a team sport, what ever you find enjoyable. If getting out of your house make you feel better then do it. Until I moved out of my parents house I basically only came home to sleep. I think had I spent most of my time there, and not surrounded by people my own thoughts would have eaten me alive and I am pretty sure I would not be here today.

You will get better.

-Albert

rogerdodger91
12-30-10, 05:27 PM
If your adhd medication doesnt make your depression better either consider you have been misdiagnosed; you may be bipolar, and the stimulant itself is making you depressed or you need to switch medications because the medicine is having no affect on you. I highly suggest against being put on a stimulant and an SSRI because of the dangers of serotonin syndrome.

Spikey 723
12-30-10, 06:08 PM
. I highly suggest against being put on a stimulant and an SSRI because of the dangers of serotonin syndrome.

I know people can take both SSRI + ritalin with no ill effects. I take both, in total 4 meds together, and it works really well for me. I'm sure the prescribing doctor can comment for individual cases.

addkid92
01-17-11, 11:42 AM
If your adhd medication doesnt make your depression better either consider you have been misdiagnosed; you may be bipolar, and the stimulant itself is making you depressed or you need to switch medications because the medicine is having no affect on you. I highly suggest against being put on a stimulant and an SSRI because of the dangers of serotonin syndrome.

I'm sorry, but that was the most ridiculous post I've ever read. ADHD medication isn't designed to give the user a "euphoria" or sense of well being - if it is, the person is abusing it, or is on too high of a dosage and is feeling the high.

Also, I don't see how suggesting her to be put on a stimulant AND a SSRI would cause serotonin syndrome. Stimulants RAISE DOPAMINE levels, NOT serotonin levels. SSRI's - raise SEROTONIN levels, that's why their named: selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors.

To the OP, I see nothing wrong with adding a SSRI to you daily regime of medications. If anything it will help improve the efficiency of the medication, as depression can imitate ADHD symptoms; clouded mind, unable to focus, a-motivational syndrome(*adhd-pi*), etc...

If this option is unavailable, I would recommend speaking to your psychiatrist or doctor about Wellbutrin or Effexor - it'd help the adhd to some extent while treating the depression.

If neither of these options are possible for you - I found Sam-E to be effective at 400mg 1x per day. About a week or two you should start feeling the effects. It is a bit pricey though.