View Full Version : Do you know what your primary purpose is?

Bluerose
11-23-10, 01:05 PM
While meditating this morning it suddenly came to me that my primary purpose in this lifetime is to break the vicious circle of physical and emotional abuse. I was abused by parents who were abused by parents who were abused. I never hit my kids, and I donít allow my kids to hit their kids. I have a lovely family and this is something I never heard my parents say, or my grandparents. I think Iíve always know what my primary purpose was but this confirmed it for me.

Do you know what your primary purpose is?

sarek
11-23-10, 03:35 PM
I can not say that I already know what my purpose in this life is. Yet, I do believe that in the past two years I have come a great deal closer to figuring it out.

EshkaronsEngine
11-23-10, 06:55 PM
To become as conscious as humanly possible. To indeed become a god!. YYYYYYYYAAAAAWWAWWAAAP!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLFQYbjYsso

meadd823
11-27-10, 09:34 AM
I think purpose can change over a life time or at the very least the view of it.

sarek
11-27-10, 12:23 PM
In a more general sense I think the essential purpose of everyone in life may be to develop his/her given talents to the maximum extent possible. However, discovering what those talents are is not as easy for everyone and in itself can be a lifetime search.

alan1
11-28-10, 03:54 PM
I believe that purpose in life comes from within, not from without. In other words, your life will have whatever purpose you choose to give it.

PixiePlumber
11-28-10, 04:06 PM
I like to think I have many purposes. I spent 10 years helping my mum look after my brother, who is a handful at times and she works full time so needs time to herself a lot. Now I've moved out, my mum has been forced to pull her finger out and make my dad look after him more often.

Now to find my new purpose in life XD

lynette19775
11-28-10, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what mine is. Helping and encouraging other people.

I'm taken stabs at this, such as obtaining my BA in Psychology and going into the social work field for 8 years. I loved it but the phrase, "Healer, heal thyself" was made for me.

I do feel I have a knack for encouraging people and helping them with their personal difficulties. I loved working with my clients and felt effective in doing that. However, my ADD completely got in my way of being effective in a corporate sort of way, in that I was HORRIBLE with paperwork and following the guidelines of the behind the scene type stuff. Filing, submitting reports, etc. In that respect, I failed terribly. I never got fired. I was good at hiding it and covering it up. But it came close a couple of times. When that happened, I would intuitively feel when my bosses were started to figure out I was a wreck at those tasks and were starting to get fed up and I would quit before they had the chance to let me go.

At the time I didn't know it was ADD though. I just thought of it as a personal failing that I didn't know how to change.

Now I am an insurance agent. Do I find this as fulfilling as social work? Heck no. But the job is more structured and it's easier for me to be successful. I do find many of my customers opening up to me, telling me their life stories, and asking for advice on quite frequent occasions. I guess you can take the social worker out of the field, but the field still seems to find them.

I am newly diagnosed and this med thing has opened up a whole new world now. I'm starting to feel hopeful that one day maybe I can return to the field and be dually effective in helping clients AND maintaining paperwork. It still seems like a far off dream, but I'm working on it. I do miss it.

Kudos to you in the quest to break the cycle. That is of utmost importance if we are going to make this world a better place for our kids! Hang in there!