View Full Version : Makes ADD worse? Anyone else?

ClaireBerri
11-26-10, 06:29 AM
I was really excited to try Focalin XR becuase Concerta XR had worked wonders for me.I was priviously on Concerta XR 72mg then I switched to 30mg of Focalin XR, after the Concerta had become ineffective.

I've been on the Focalin for about two weeks now and I hate it! My attention, motivation, mood, memory, focus, and conncentration are worse then ever. I can't even carry a conversation because I'll space out or forget words. Everything seems really blurry (not vision vise) and I have to re-read things so many times before I can understand what it means. I'm also really irritable and even wispering annoys me.
I've also preiviously tryed Adderall XR 20mg which was ineffective and
made me crash when it wore off.

My Doctor is very skeptical, he dosn't think Focalin would make my ADD worse because its similar to Concerta and Concerta made my ADD better.

Has this happened to anyone else? And did you change to anything that worked?
What would you reccommened I try next?

hollywood
11-29-10, 09:16 AM
ummm.... you have to get used to it. You will not notice the physical ramp up symptoms as much because focalin is smoother and more active in the brain. You will get alot deeper focus with focalin once you've adjusted. I take concerta and have for years, it doesn't usually stop working. Occasionally you will have to increase your dose or add to it like adding in ritalin ir with your concerta thats an option. Yet, focalin begins to work faster and keeps your peaks at higher levels so you focus a bit better. That means while concerta is a smooth bell shaped curve focalin is more of a vertical up and down with blood levels.

ClaireBerri
11-30-10, 11:35 AM
I've gotten more used to it now and the negitive effects have gone.
I think I'll stay on this for at least a month to see if it works.

I probably just hit a rough patch with my Concerta and gave up on it to soon, if Focalin dosn't work out I think i'll go back to Concerta and try to stick with it for more then a few weeks.

Thanks for the information :) I'm going to start sticking with the meds. for a longer period of time now> I knew Focalin and Concerta had differant releases but I never really got how that would effect me till now. Thank you:D

If you don't mind me asking, what were your worst days on Concerta like?

dogsdad
12-17-10, 03:31 PM
Totally the opposite for me. Recently diagnosed with ADD, however I have long had depression and OCD symptoms. Adderall made me feel 100 times worse and just made all my previous issues now go 100mph. I switched to Focalin XR 10mg and it is like night and day. Interesting how these drugs effect everyone so differently.

hollywood
12-23-10, 12:36 PM
what do you guys prefer concerta or focalin?

StoicNate
12-24-10, 04:17 AM
Maybe try good old fashion Ritalin.

I had a bad reaction to Focalin= Panic attacks even at a tiny dose.

Ritalin has a calming effect on me and prefer it.

Naussicaa
12-27-10, 02:34 PM
Adderall for sure!
Longer lasting, stronger effect, less comedown, statistically shown to be better!

hollywood
12-27-10, 04:25 PM
Yeah , I hear alot about adderall and the fact that it lasts longer. I may give it a shot sometime soon. I tried the ssri's in combination with my meds. I think they help calm down some of the chatter but I don't feel like it's really worth it. Makes adhd worse. Anyways I like focalin because of the increased onset and the effectiveness during the peaks. Concerta is subtle which I like but honestly doesn't really give me much symptom control , focalin hands down has better symptom control during peaks. Oh Naussica, I tried adderall and it moreso feels like a headrush and didn't do much for focus or concentration?

Pasha
01-12-11, 05:52 PM
I was really excited to try Focalin XR becuase Concerta XR had worked wonders for me.I was priviously on Concerta XR 72mg then I switched to 30mg of Focalin XR, after the Concerta had become ineffective.

I've been on the Focalin for about two weeks now and I hate it! My attention, motivation, mood, memory, focus, and conncentration are worse then ever. I can't even carry a conversation because I'll space out or forget words. Everything seems really blurry (not vision vise) and I have to re-read things so many times before I can understand what it means. I'm also really irritable and even wispering annoys me.
I've also preiviously tryed Adderall XR 20mg which was ineffective and
made me crash when it wore off.

My Doctor is very skeptical, he dosn't think Focalin would make my ADD worse because its similar to Concerta and Concerta made my ADD better.

Has this happened to anyone else? And did you change to anything that worked?
What would you reccommened I try next?

the same thing is happening to me !!! i cant get the words out of my mouth to my boss! and when he asks me to do someting i snap at him because I feel overwelmed and im just sufing the internet... and i feel so angry right now and every time it wears off i get ferious and yell at my kids im at work and looking at this bottle of attend I just bought but havent tried for me and my son I hope it works!! the school is giving me such a hard time with my son "every body is on it is all I hear!! I feel like crying !!!

Dantes713
01-09-12, 11:24 PM
I was recently diagnosed with ADD. First the doctor put my on adderall 10 mg, then I got switched to adderall 20 mg XR, and now Im taking a new one called Vyvanse. I've had the same symptoms too, where it feels like its making the problem worse and not working. I also have to re-read thing and pause in the middle of conversations because I forgot my train of thought. I get really irritated when I have to do work, and find myself having a hard time doing simple things. I dont feel like theres any motivation or any focus and concentration- and if I am concentrated Im always concentrating on the wrong thing and not what I should be, and I find myself wasting time and getting nothing done.

This is to CLAIREBERRI, DOGSDAG, and PASHA:
1.) Did you ever find why you were reacting this way to the medication? I've been searching all over and these symptoms arent normal and hard to find other people that have it.
2.) What was the solution? Did you just keep trying out different name brands, different dosages until you felt right? How many tries did it take?
3.) Or did it just go away all together with time and it started to feel normal?

I just wanted to know what the solutions were to the problem, because Im currently having them and I just want them to stop. Both Adderall and Vyvanse made me feel the same way

hollywood
01-10-12, 05:51 PM
Yeah focalin doesnt last long at all . Totally agree , when it does it's like an hour and done. I don't think it's as strong as promoted