View Full Version : Self medicating w/Coca Cola

Bex88
11-28-10, 04:02 PM
Anyone else have a problem with caffeine (HELP I can't for the LIFE of me remember how to spell caffeine right now!) prior to starting meds? I just started Adderall XR last Tuesday. Prior to - for years - I would drink no less than 8 cans of Coke a day (my personal preference).

I would get seriously freaked out if I ran out. I never understood why I didn't react to Coke like other people. I would always get asked - aren't you jittery? How can you drink that right before bed? It CALMED me! I understand now, and since starting meds my consumption has dropped to maybe 2 a day.

So - just curious - anyone else feel like they were single handedly funding the Coke execs salaries? And did you notice a decrease in your consumption after starting a stimulant med?

Imnapl
11-28-10, 04:04 PM
Soda pop is very unhealthy, especially cola's. Bex88, are you taking any stimulant medications?

Bex88
11-28-10, 04:07 PM
Yes - since Tuesday I have been taking 20mg Adderall XR in the am & 10mg in the afternoon. All the extreme Coke drinking was prior to starting meds. Now, I maybe drink 2 a day which was really impressive to me. I think in a week or so I will be down to just water because I really just don't feel the need for it anymore!

Saboit
11-28-10, 04:09 PM
How are the meds helping you Bex??

No, I still havent figured what can help me...

nova2012
11-28-10, 04:11 PM
You were drinking 8 cans of regular coke per day--315 or so grams of sugar! That's a lot of sugar and could easily lead to becoming pre-diabetic or diabetic over time. It's good you've cut down, but even 2 is excessive. I stopped drinking soda entirely a year and a half or so ago, and I don't regret it at all. I occasionally crave one, especially with certain foods, but it hasn't been a hardship at all, and I'm much healthier for it.

PixiePlumber
11-28-10, 04:12 PM
I used to drink it loads, but then again I don't react to caffeine like most people. To get even some energy from it I have to take in a lot in a short time, like down a triple espresso. Then it only lasts about an hour or so.

I'm not even addicted to it and never have been. I do enjoy the deliciousness of coffee and coke, but if there was sprite in the cupboard as well I'd go for that first.

Saboit
11-28-10, 04:18 PM
I wonder what happened to your teeth...
anyway I drink alot of grape juice, its tasty, okey and it produces energy.

Bex88
11-28-10, 04:19 PM
You were drinking 8 cans of regular coke per day--315 or so grams of sugar! That's a lot of sugar and could easily lead to becoming pre-diabetic or diabetic over time. It's good you've cut down, but even 2 is excessive. I stopped drinking soda entirely a year and a half or so ago, and I don't regret it at all. I occasionally crave one, especially with certain foods, but it hasn't been a hardship at all, and I'm much healthier for it.

Yes - it was/is EXTREMELY unhealthy - but for the life of me - before - it was one of the only things that made me feel better. The meds have made a HUGE difference in so many things. I have more focus, energy, less irritation/anxiety. My eating choices are much better and, I hope to have cut the coke by next week. I also quit smoking in July after smoking a pack a day most years since I was 15.

I used to hate the idea of turning 40. But with the positive changes I have made this year both before and afte my Dx (just las TUES!) I have to say it is shaping up to be one of my best years (still early days yet-but I'm hopeful)

Ironically - I have a rare kidney disease that I am supposed to be drinking about one gallon of water a day. The Coke was not helping in that respect - but with the new meds I am fast approaching the ability to actually comply with this treatment need!

Bex88
11-28-10, 04:21 PM
I wonder what happened to your teeth...
anyway I drink alot of grape juice, its tasty, okey and it produces energy.

Because of kidney issues - teeth have never been good - but I kinda obsess about brushing my teeth so the soda wasn't the imapct of that - thanks to my dentist I still have a pretty smile!

nova2012
11-28-10, 04:21 PM
Yes - it was/is EXTREMELY unhealthy - but for the life of me - before - it was one of the only things that made me feel better. The meds have made a HUGE difference in so many things. I have more focus, energy, less irritation/anxiety. My eating choices are much better and, I hope to have cut the coke by next week. I also quit smoking in July after smoking a pack a day most years since I was 15.

I used to hate the idea of turning 40. But with the positive changes I have made this year both before and afte my Dx (just las TUES!) I have to say it is shaping up to be one of my best years (still early days yet-but I'm hopeful)

Ironically - I have a rare kidney disease that I am supposed to be drinking about one gallon of water a day. The Coke was not helping in that respect - but with the new meds I am fast approaching the ability to actually comply with this treatment need!

I'm glad you've found so much improvement from these meds! I wish you the best of luck in approaching life with a renewed vigor. It's certainly an amazing time in any adult ADHDer's life to be diagnosed and to be able to put an "a-ha" to those series of behaviors we've so resented in ourselves for all these years.

Saboit
11-28-10, 04:23 PM
Good Luck with the new treatment - meds.

Stop smoking, drinking and you will be fine.

I am too obsessed with my brushing my teeth :)
Maybe 8 times a day, lol

Bex88
11-28-10, 04:25 PM
I am definately the type of person that once I see a reason for my behaviors - I can usually look back, analyze and implement changes. However - unless someone points it out I am CLUELESS - lol!!! It has definately been eye opening - and I find myself now catching myself BEFORE I act which is really new for me! I know this feeling of newness and AHA! won't last so I am trying so hard to really establish some hard habits to help carry me through when those feelings wear off!

Metalweeds
11-28-10, 04:32 PM
I struggle with the same issue with caffiene/soda/coffee...I don't feel awake until I have something to start my day but on the contrary, to do a task in my day (sit down and read, due homework, exercise, etc.), I cannot calm down enough to focus on that task (enough to complete it, not just start it) until I have my fix as well. Meds are starting next week when the insurance BS sorts out...Good to hear that it has made a difference in that aspect for you. I hope for the same.

lynette19775
11-28-10, 05:01 PM
I have to admit something horrible I did in the past. This is bad. Please don't pelt tomatoes at me, as I realize the error of my ways, and completely stopped this behavior years ago. It's hard for me to even admit this to everyone.

My stepson has a very severe case of ADHD. The most severe case I've ever run across. And I used to work in foster homes, residential treatment centers, group homes, etc. with many kids that had raging cases of ADHD. He is by far the most severe.

So, I've been in my stepson's life since he was 5 years old. I was 21 years old at that time. And he had not been diagnosed at that time. And this was before I entered social work and was not accustomed to ADHD and all of its behaviors. I had never been around any ADHD children. Ironically, I had ADD, lol, but of course, I did not realize it at the time, and I have never been hyperactive a day in my life. So I never made any type of connection we might be dealing with the same type of disorder. Or that we had any disorder at all. I just assumed it was our personalities.

So anyway, whenever my stepson came to stay with us he would trigger my ADD with a fierceness I didn't know was possible. His hyperactivity was unbelievable. His incessant chatter and bouncing off the walls was really more than I could take at that point in my life! I could always feel myself unraveling at the seams.

Sometimes it was so severe that I had to lock myself in the bathroom to keep from yelling at him and try to regain my composure (I would only do this if my husband was there to supervise him. I never did this when it was just he and I and there was no one else to supervise him.)

Oddly, I began to notice that whenever he would consume a caffeinated drink, the kid would calm down. I was fascinated by this. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on!

So here comes the horrible part. I selfishly decided to use this to my advantage. I started giving the poor kid soda after soda when he was with me! He was so much easier to be around! I stocked up on as many Cokes as I could get my hands on!

****Hangs her head is deep shame****

I seriously feel awful that I ever did this. This story does have a pretty happy ending, though. A couple years of years later, he did get diagnosed and prescribed meds. And they were very effective. He is a joy to be around now.

And now I am diagnosed and hopefully soon I will be a joy to be around, too! lol

Bex, I didn't mean to digress so much, but your thread brought back this memory instantly and I think I needed to get this off my conscience, lol. I've never told another living human being about this. Thanks for giving me the chance to purge. =]

Bex88
11-28-10, 05:14 PM
OMG!!! Lynette - you have NO idea! I have always been an experimantal girl - if I do X will Y happen or will it be Z??? So - like you know I was Dx last week. I did know prior that there was a genetic link (I knew my Hubs was ADD) so I have always kinda looked for it in my 4 & 3 year old. Ironically - my 13 year old son is ADD and I always blamed it on my ex-husband and him not being Dx when it was probably me all along- lol!

So - sorry train derailed for a minute - my hubs and I always said "We wil never allow our children to drink soda" - (oops - my 3 year old just hijacked my Coke - not even kidding) - okay - so anyway - my 4 year old is definately hyper. Remember the movie Parenthood? Well - my 4 year old is the kid who lost her retainer at the reseraunt crossed w/the scary genius girl. My 3 year old (bless her little heart) is the kid who ran around w/a bucket on his head crashing into things. So - I have never really kept to the rule that my hubs an I set. It was always kinda easier when my 4 year old had the Coke - so I would kina pretend to not notice when she would down the last 1/4 of the can!?!?

If tomatoes are to be thrown - I will be right there next to you!!! But I have to say I am now trying to be a responsible parent - put my foot down about the soda (not easy) and I am researching ways to structure life for a pre-diagnosed ADHD child to make things easier for her - which will also in turn make things easier for everone. I have no doubt that one day she will most likely be Dx, but I am certainly not going to jump on the bandwagon to early - I will wait a bit and see how things play out.

So I will now stand next to you with MY head hanging in shame and wait for the first SPLAT!

lynette19775
11-28-10, 05:20 PM
LOL!!!!!

Thanks so much, Bex! :D I LOVE the movie Parenthood! I knew exactly what you were referring to! :)

And you have lifted my veil of shame a bit, so thanks for that! :D

Bex88
11-28-10, 05:21 PM
GROOVY! We gotta stick together - lol!

talkfreak
11-28-10, 05:41 PM
I have the same energy/caffeine obsession you do bex, only with coffee. I am somewhat in love with whomever invented "High rev coffee", "Jolt coffee", and "2x caffeine coffee" at gas stations.
*tangent alert* Why can't you buy the coffee itself? I have not been able to find any sort of super coffee for sale anywhere, and this is probably why I have yet to experience my first kidney stone... *end tangent*
Anyhoo, after I started my meds, (10mg a.m. and 10mg p.m. IR Adderall at the time) I noticed an immediate decrease in my coffee intake. It was literally like going from one to two pots a day, to cups a day overnight.
I began to increase my caffiene intake again once the alert effects of adderall began to wear off, and while I don't drink as much coffee as before, I am back to about a pot of coffee a day and would suggest keeping a close eye on cola intake after the first month or so to see if it starts to increase again. It snuck up on me because I'm so used to drinking that much coffee, I never thought twice, but if you are attempting to slow down, this may be of some help

Bex88
11-28-10, 06:04 PM
Thanks so much for the heads up - hopefully I can be aware of that and will watch out that I don't fall back into the habit!!

Bex88
11-28-10, 06:10 PM
Oh - and the kidney stone thing - I hope you NEVER go through that! I have had 500+ kidney stones - ironically not the Coke - I have a genetic kidney disease called Cystinuria - basically I "manufacture" purely cystine kidney stones. My body makes way to much cystine (most peoples numbers are around 50 - mine are around 1275) and then the kidneys don't process it at all so I make really pretty rocks. They really are - I've seen them under the microscope!! Anywho - very painful. But on the plus side - since cystine is a building block for your hair - I do have FREAKIN AMAZING - hair! LOL

metzfanaz
11-28-10, 09:04 PM
Anyone else have a problem with caffeine (HELP I can't for the LIFE of me remember how to spell caffeine right now!) prior to starting meds? I just started Adderall XR last Tuesday. Prior to - for years - I would drink no less than 8 cans of Coke a day (my personal preference).

I would get seriously freaked out if I ran out. I never understood why I didn't react to Coke like other people. I would always get asked - aren't you jittery? How can you drink that right before bed? It CALMED me! I understand now, and since starting meds my consumption has dropped to maybe 2 a day.

So - just curious - anyone else feel like they were single handedly funding the Coke execs salaries? And did you notice a decrease in your consumption after starting a stimulant med?

Abso-freakin-lutely! I contribute to that myself in the order of Diet Dr Pepper. Everyday on my way to work I polish off a 44 oz ThirstBuster from Circle K and drink about 4-5 cans while at work. Got so bad at one point they were joking about a DDP Intervention and calling the A&E show to take care of it.

That said, I have noticed no decrease since starting Adderall. Really hasn't effected it at all actually.

EshkaronsEngine
11-28-10, 10:01 PM
<a href="http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84559&highlight=coke">liquid diabetes</a>

metzfanaz
11-28-10, 10:05 PM
<a href="http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84559&highlight=coke">liquid diabetes</a>

Bubbles Bubbles Yum?
Sounds like what Jay named Shannon Elizabeth on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. :p