View Full Version : November

stef
11-28-10, 06:53 PM
This is the lonliest month, it just gets darker and darker; and the first two weeks the sun came out only twice; everything is strange and foggy and my things turn up in the wrong places and simple plans are somehow thwarted. I remember strange, sad random incidents and associate unhappy things.

BUT there have been some bright moments; and the little photo studio across the street from my office has put up some Christas lights; I actually did my nails with colored polish. and Wednesday is DECEMBER, no lighter, but better.

Sandy4957
11-28-10, 06:59 PM
Stef, I always really enjoy November because it contains Thanksgiving! (I love food!) Ever thought about throwing a Thanksgiving dinner for a bunch of friends just to drive off the loneliness?

stef
11-28-10, 07:04 PM
ggaahh there is the problem! I say "lonely" because not many people understand the strangeness of the month; I used to love november - these problems are purely due to the european weather. - goodness I didn't finish my post!

I don't have the energy (honestly) and I am not much of a dinner thrower... but thanks.

Sandy4957
11-28-10, 07:57 PM
But you're from Minnesota, and you certainly had northern latitude weather here!

stef
11-29-10, 04:38 AM
No, the problem is that is almost always cloudy, and not actually "cold" (I mean Minnesota cold); and sometimes rainy with terribly low clouds.
February in the midwest was bad for me but never this time of year.

there are very few of those bright winter days with the sun glinting off the snow.
- Although believe it or not it snowed here last night and I enjoyed a magnificent walk to the train this morning!

sarek
11-29-10, 04:51 AM
I think I know what you mean when you say you don't like November. Its some kind of halfway month. Its usually not actually cold but the summer is long gone. There is a long winter ahead. And overhead is that eternal European autumn sky. That is probably the worst of it, the lack of light.

stef
11-29-10, 05:30 AM
Yes that's it! and knowing it will still look like this outside in February...
then a short break until I'm down for 3 weeks with allergies to trees, in April!

YIKES sorry, this is terribly pessimistic. I regret starting this thread.

Skully
11-29-10, 11:44 AM
I understand completely. I do not like November at all. I always have bad luck in November for some reason. I just hate the month and the darkness.

danelady
11-29-10, 11:56 AM
I totally get this,Stef. The darkness,the equipment that won't work when its cold and dark,too. Having to walk a mile just to get take a leak or get some coffee...in the cold.

And its only just begun...

stef
11-29-10, 12:20 PM
wow I shouldn't complain! I hadn't even thought of that...

thanks for everyone's replies! i actually kind of had a panic thing at work earlier today; my colleague noticed I didn't seem well. I guess I just need some rest (as usual I stayed up too late last night and it was the usual Monday office stuff, but I just couldn't deal with it today).

danelady
11-29-10, 12:36 PM
I wish I could hibernate like the animals do. My truck won't be fixed til tomorrow so I'm just staying curled up in bed in this hotel room. For SO CAL its still cold outside.
I'm gonna enjoy it as long as I can cause winter is waiting for me out there....:o

Mary
11-29-10, 02:30 PM
Danelady.. I'm with you. Hibernation sounds good to me too. I'm tired of being cold.

danelady
11-29-10, 02:34 PM
Danelady.. I'm with you. Hibernation sounds good to me too. I'm tired of being cold.

Yeah....wake us up when its time to change the clocks back!:D

Lunacie
11-29-10, 02:50 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about SAD (seasonal affective disorder). This is something I've had for as long as I can remember. I used to think it started for me when the leaves began to fall from the trees - but the last few years haven't been quite as dry here and the leaves haven't started falling in late August like they often do.

It doesn't start getting gray in until October usually, so I don't really understand why I get so depressed from the first of September until around March. Then I began learning about all these mental disorders that are either caused by chemical imbalances or made worse by them, and I guess it's another chemical imbalance thing.

Some people use special lights - but like I said it doesn't really seem related to gray days for me. I'd heard it could be low Vitamin D levels so I tried taking Vitamin D last year, didn't seem to help. Nevertheless I decided to try again this fall. I began by taking twice the dose listed on the bottle - 800 IU - but it wasn't helping. Before giving up I decided to bump it up to 3 softgels - 1200 IU - and I think it's helping at last.

Note: apparently the best and most helpful form is Vitamin D3.

http://www.life-with-confidence.com/benefit-of-vitamin-d.html

stef
11-29-10, 05:33 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

It is, but I posted this last night before rereading it, I don't think I finished!
I guess I was just trying write about all of this. But it backfired, I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. Nuts.

danelady
01-01-11, 01:03 PM
Yes Stef...the days are getting longer..ever so slightly,but it'll do!!!

Lunacie
01-01-11, 01:18 PM
I'm please to report that bumping the dose of Vitamin D3 has been helping me. Clearly I needed more than the recommended dose of 400 IU listed on the bottle. I'm now taking three of those suckers because two wasn't enough to make a difference. I got through the holidays in good shape for once and I'm ready to head into the new year.

danelady
01-01-11, 01:20 PM
Yay!!! Good for you Lunacie!!!

stef
01-01-11, 01:59 PM
Yes Stef...the days are getting longer..ever so slightly,but it'll do!!!

yes, the worst was it kept getting darker, and darker, and darker...
I'll have to look into the vitamin D. I think this light lamp can really help. I wish I had bought it right when we went to daylight savings time.

I had completely forgotten I wrote this thread! how strange.

addkid92
01-17-11, 11:45 AM
SAD lights work well for seasonal depressive disorder. You said you have a light lamp, hope it's working for you.

Good luck

stef
01-17-11, 12:27 PM
yes it is somewhat! anyway, it takes the edge off.
I didn't get it until december though, the damage was done already... But next year I'll start using it as soon as we change to winter time.

NorCalAndy8
01-19-11, 08:02 PM
..every time someone mentions November it always reminds me of that film, "Sweet November." I really don't know why...maybe its because Charlize Theron is just so hot.

Rebelyell
01-19-11, 08:07 PM
I understand November being so dark and cold,Cold november rain sums it up good for me.I lost my dad November 11 1993.

stef
01-20-11, 06:48 AM
So sorry to hear that.
I understand, I lost my Dad in October 96. (I can never remember the date).

Lunacie
01-20-11, 11:43 AM
I understand November being so dark and cold,Cold november rain sums it up good for me.I lost my dad November 11 1993.

So sorry to hear that.
I understand, I lost my Dad in October 96. (I can never remember the date).

(((hugs both RY and stef)))

I can remember the date my mother died in September because it was between my daughter's birthday on the 21st and my niece's birthday on the 24th. I don't remember the date my dad died in April but I remember the year because it was the year after the tornado totally destroyed my home town. If I can't connect dates that way, I can't remember them at all.