View Full Version : Frustration

Tara
04-28-03, 06:47 PM
How manyof you have experienced frustration because the therapist you went to to help you with AD/HD didn't really "get" AD/HD?

joanrdtobe
04-28-03, 07:01 PM
oh absolutely Tara...or even the psychiatrist I went to didn't get ADD...and so wanted to give me another diagnosis......but yes I have been to a few therapists in the past and even in in-patient facilities who have looked at me cross-ways and side-ways or with a blank stare when I mention I have ADD diagnosis...they'll say "ah-huh" - almost as if 1)not believing me or 2)not knowing what I'm talking about.....I want to scream...because THEN they want to take the medication away from me for which I was being treated for ADD....(cylert at the time) -- claiming it's an addictive substance and I will abuse it right there in the inpatient facility.....yuh right -- like I couldn't have done that on an outpatient basis....so I hear you Tara.....some so called professionals out there -- haven't got a freaking clue.....

kcrady
05-26-03, 09:19 AM
I was in therapy around '89/'90, with a diagnosis of general anxiety and depression. I'm sure now that I was misdiagnosed - yes, the anxiety and depression were there, but they resulted directly from the effects ADD was having on my life! I feel as though I never really accomplished anything during that time -- wasted time and money, in fact, looking for "causes" for my problems that didn't exist! If I only knew then what I know now...

I'm very lucky now to have found a wonderful therapist who understands ADD from personal experience - her partner, son, partner's kids, grandkids all have ADD. When I talked to her about my own experiences, she gave me the validation I needed to pursue treatment. I'm NOT currently in long-term therapy, but have the comfort of knowing she is there when issues come up I need help with.

misclee
05-26-03, 09:22 AM
Ooh! me me me me me!!! I was sitting in a room with two psychiatrists, basically spewing a list of my many many adhd traits...they both looked at me like I was crazy, then told me that I was simply a perfectionist and should give myself a break!

Djiril
05-28-03, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by misclee
Ooh! me me me me me!!! I was sitting in a room with two psychiatrists, basically spewing a list of my many many adhd traits...they both looked at me like I was crazy, then told me that I was simply a perfectionist and should give myself a break!
Hmmm, that makes me wonder if one of them had undiagnosed ADHD. Just a thought.

vinceptor
06-25-03, 03:47 PM
Yes.

There is a lot of clueless denial out there in the professional world of headshrinkers. For some of them, the denial is personal, as they are obviously AD/HDs themselves.

As a case in point, I'll mention this: I'm reading "ADHD in Adulthood", by M. Weiss, L. Hechtman, and G. Weiss (all M.D.s). A quote will suffice (a comment on a 1994 article on pychosocial treatments):

"The focus of psychosocial treatment is on remediation, coaching, and environmental restructuring to enhance attention and daily functioning. It is ironic (sic) that with such a carefully selected focus on changing actual behavior, the byproduct (sic) should include a powerful effect on changing the inner world of the patient."

Sad, huh?

Ken / Claremont