View Full Version : Which of your symptoms improved on dexedrine?

jonny87
11-29-10, 08:41 AM
Hi,

I'm about to start dexedrine and am wondering which symptoms improved on it for other people and which didnt or got worse.

Things like:
- Regulating emotions (getting obsessed about things, ruminating etc.)
- Mood
- procrastinating/motivation
- focus on a particular task without drifting off
- ability to switch attention from one thing to another
- reading ability/desire to read
- speed of thinking
- being more talkative/sociable
- energy levels
- memory (working memory, short term, long term etc)

And any others you can think of.

I am especially interested in the first one because I find I can get obsessed about things that bother me and this is a real problem in relationships.

Thanks
Jonny

stampy91
12-04-10, 06:18 AM
On dex:
-I obsess more about things (more on this below).
-I think that sometimes it's more motivating / procrastination-reducing (at least at my comfortable dose).
---That said, on dex (maybe only on a too-high dose), I often begin to do things and then simply cannot stop and move on to other things, unless I'm finished. I always think of more websites I "need" to check, or more things to put in an essay.
-Focus/concentration on tasks is improved.
-I think I can switch attention okay (though I think this might not be true on a too-high dose).
-Not sure about the others, but:
---One thing I notice is that Dex (at the correct dose) makes me more confident. So I'm much 'looser'/'open' in social situations (more 'energetic', more willing to do things, e.g. go out of my usual comfort zone), and my aspirations seem to change - on Dex, I'm enthusiastic about things that I'd normally be hesistant about.

I find I can get obsessed about things that bother me and this is a real problem in relationships. Interestingly I have the same problem (not on Dex), and I'm not actually sure how Dex affects this. Above, I said I "obsess more", but I was talking about task completion / perfectionism, rather than regulating emotions.

However, I will say that both the dose & routine definitely have an effect on emotion regulation (and other things). At some dosages+times, you'll be insanely irritable, at others, you'll be fine. E.g. I haven't been sleeping well lately and skipping my super multi-B vitamin w/ magnesium last night, and since I took my Dex this morning after stopping for a few days, I've had this incurable 'depression' all day, which will only go away when I sleep. Just fyi, my routine is: 15mg 'loading dose' before breakfast, then 5mg after that every 2-2.5h for as long as I need, and I make my last dose or two a 2.5mg. I try to only eat 1h after a dose and 1+ hours before - food too close to a dose can make it useless for me.

Hope that helps. :)

jonny87
12-04-10, 02:18 PM
i like the effects that it gives you. Im a little bit worried about the depression thing you mentioned tho. Iv heard that people get depressed when the pill wears off which makes me a bit worried. hopefully me antidepressant will help with this tho.

I can relate to the obsess over a task thing. I normally start a task and then get bored and switch to another. Then maybe come back to the first one later. but when I was on concerta I doing some stuff for my business on my computer and spent about 8 hours non stop with no break. Sounds good but I didnt even get up to eat or anything. My appetite was less from the concerta but even when I got hungry I just wanted to finish what I was doing before I ate.

Its kinda stressful because its like I CANT take a break, I HAVE to finish the task...probably better than not getting anything done tho lol.

Michiko74
12-15-10, 05:42 PM
For me, dexedrine did wonders for my attention/focus. While it was still a struggle, I found I could retain information a lot better than I could before. I was able to sit down and read stuff without it completely wiping me out.

Yes it did improve my overall energy. I find I'm more productive when I take the dexedrine vs. when I skip a dose. If I do procrastinate, it's not as much as it would be without.

I can't really address issues like socialibilty, etc. as I never really struggled with them. I can say that being more productive and getting things done improved my mood overall.

I really agree that ADHD is a condition that is managed with one med alone. My doctor recently put me on Abilify, and I have to say I feel much happier these days. Not that I was super depressed, but there is a slight difference to my mood and I like it!

jonny87
12-15-10, 10:38 PM
Has anyone found that dexedrine helps with being able to switch attention from one thing to another quickly? eg. switching attention from one person talking to another person talking?

While ritalin helped me focus on something or made me not need immediate stimulation as much (I didnt get as bored as quickly if someone was talking for instance), it was still hard to switch my attention quickly to something else.

I think this is why I find groups of people so hard to socialize in. When the group is in that excited state and talking a lot then often people will say just a little bit each about something but it keeps changing quickly from person to person. I find this really hard to keep up with compared to when just one person is talking and so I switch of straight away.

Jonny

buddy
12-16-10, 05:12 PM
I have been on dexedrine & it has helped me in all aspects of my life.I especially notice that I read especially well & really enjoy it.I can read book after book & retain all that I have read.
buddy

ginniebean
12-16-10, 05:21 PM
I really wasn't able to tell so much but my attention improved, my sister told me the difference was night and day they can now have a conversation with me (?)

I drive better, I don't talk to myself outloud all the time anymore (whew)

Hasn't done anything for my memory tho certain routines have stepped in there (some of the time)

I feel like I can now stand but it's not quite enough for walking without tripping.

Marspider
12-17-10, 08:13 PM
The noticeable difference for me is that it has improved my working memory.
I recently got ill and didn't take dex for a few days, I had forgotten to put some in my bag and was in class the whole day so no meds at all.
I noticed I forgot what the teacher said by the time I got to the end of a sentence. My notes were sparser than usual. I had the memory of a fish. It's easier to hold onto things in my head with dex.

I also noticed I was jumping from one thing to another and felt my brain was moving in circles.
And I don't eat out of boredom

I can also observe myself. Before I would just react. I would know what to do before the event I was reacting to and I would know after the event but while the event was going on, it was as if I was mindless.
On dex, I can't always stop myself but now I can see myself. It's odd.

Marspider
12-17-10, 08:13 PM
Funny, I talk to myself much more on dexedrine. :)
I really wasn't able to tell so much but my attention improved, my sister told me the difference was night and day they can now have a conversation with me (?)

I drive better, I don't talk to myself outloud all the time anymore (whew)

Hasn't done anything for my memory tho certain routines have stepped in there (some of the time)

I feel like I can now stand but it's not quite enough for walking without tripping.

jonny87
12-27-10, 11:37 PM
Michiko, I'm thinking of taking abilify with dexedrine for the antidepressant properties and increased appetite. Have u found that it makes dex less effective tho because I think it lowers dopamine?

Peterr
12-28-10, 07:19 AM
slightly positive effect

- Mood
slightly positive effect

no effect

positive effect

???? I have NO problems with that, in fact, I switch far too easy. That's ADHD! I find it now easier to stay on topic.

positive

- speed of thinking
dex slows down, which is positive

less talkative

- energy levels
lower (I don't like that)

no effect

Naussicaa
12-31-10, 06:56 AM
I have no emotion.
- Mood
I feel only one thing (amphetamines, it feels neither good or bad, just awake otherwise I am asleep)
Same.
I'm better with video games haha, if I read its better too to a degree.
Easy, no change unfortunately. I tend to obsess, and obsess over another.
Faster, same.
- speed of thinking
Slower, I'm happy about that though, I can plan better.
Much lower.
- energy levels
If I don't take it I am asleep.
Worst, better, better.

buddy
01-01-11, 03:51 PM
jonny,I take 30mgs. a day of Abilify & I also take Dexedrine daily.I have been on the Dexedrine longer than the Abilify & I could tell that the Dexedrine wasn't as effective after I started the Abilify.I don't know why this is but I also take Hydrocodone for my back & the Abilify seemed to take away any euphoric feelings that I used to get from the pain pills.Abilify has really helped my depression/anxiety though & I am really happy with it.
buddy

jonny87
01-01-11, 09:09 PM
I was wondering about taking abilify because I heard it increases appetite, and could help with my depression too. But am worried about it causing tiredness/sedation.

I think abilify actually lowers dopamine (specifically D2, D3 and D4 receptors) and so will couteract the amphetamines which increase it (although not sure which receptors specifically dexamp increases)...but it doesnt completely lower the dopamine as amphetamines are more potent at increasing it than abilify is at lowering. I might be wrong about this..But I think this is why you feel the dexedrine has less effect while on abilify.

Jonny