View Full Version : How many people here actually meditate

mrsmith
12-02-10, 07:59 AM
Very few are able to sustain a regular meditation practice. One should think a typical ADHD person is less likely.

So do you meditate regularly (daily)? What meditation do you do?

Illiterati
12-02-10, 08:06 AM
I do a different kind of meditation.

At night, before I go to sleep, I lay back, close my eyes, and allow myself to "fall" into the vortex I tend to see at that point.

I find it's a good way to destress from the day's insanity.

Kunga Dorji
12-12-10, 06:41 AM
Before I got a handle on my ADHD with medication i could not meditate.

Now I mediate every day, and am off medication, and teach meditation as an adjunct to cognitive behavioural therapy.

The meditation that made the difference for me was a body scanning meditation- that focusses on observing the body sensations that arise with emotional states, and teaches you to let them go.
Getting overly emotionally unsettled was always my undoing as far as attention went, and when I learned this meditation technique my need for medication disappeared.

I body scan informally when walking, and when on public transport on the way to and from work. I also do formal breath observation meditation and
some tantric visualisation practices.

I went on a mediation retreat recently and loved it. The teacher, Alan Wallace, made the comment that in taking up a more spiritual life and learning to consume less we are not actually losing- as the rewards of an effective meditation practice outstrip the material rewards offered by our society. He is right.

The biggest change is that I am getting better and better at shutting down unwanted ruminating thinking. "When walking, just walk". Its really nice when one rediscovers this art.