View Full Version : iPhone or Droid?

LaVieEnRose
12-02-10, 09:18 PM
There comes a time in a cell phone's life when it's been dropped so many times it's just embarassing to pull out in public. I've held out a long time with my iPhone 3. It's been good to me. But tragically, I dropped it getting out of my car on to the unforgiving cement floor of the garage. Glancing down to see where it had landed, I gasped as I beheld a crack in the screen.. resembling with haunting likeness a gunshot. A web of cracks protruding from the lower right corner. She's still alive, but the shards of whatever that is.. glass?.. make it unsafe to hold it up to my ear. *sigh* The time has come.

Do I get an iPhone 4? Do I get a Droid?

The iPhone is what I know, but the Droid, from what I've been told, can act as a modem for your computer, you have unlimited free minutes to any cell phone, and that's all I remember from my sister's shpeel.

EshkaronsEngine
12-02-10, 09:24 PM
I love my DROID but if I were to get a phone at this very moment it would probably be an iPhone for it still is faster on the draw. The DROID is catching up quick though so in a year I would get a DROID again. If I had a lot of contacts I would definitely get an iPhone because it is so quick form anything from the phone and especially texting. I got the DROID because it is more for nerdy geek types and there are a hellova lot of free apps on the DROID market.

String
12-02-10, 09:29 PM
Droid all the way.

More free. Less corporate lock in. More customizable, hackable. (Besides, I think Apple is even worse than Microsoft when it comes to overly aggressive monopolizing tactics.)

LaVieEnRose
12-02-10, 09:42 PM
Is it true I can use it as my modem? As in, cancel my internet service? That sounds a little too good to be true..?

EshkaronsEngine
12-07-10, 09:30 PM
so what did u end up buying? Huh?:)

LaVieEnRose
12-08-10, 12:01 AM
so what did u end up buying? Huh?:)
Hells bells. I haven't bought one yet! :o My cracked 3g is going to have to hold on a little longer! Just a little longer! But it looks like I'm going to have to get a Droid from the poll! Yeah! Droid Power!

EshkaronsEngine
12-08-10, 01:49 AM
Goog on u. I heard yesterday on a tech show that the iPhone 4 wasn't that great of a phone. I know that it does drop some calls as my little bro has one.

sarek
12-08-10, 02:56 AM
Is it true I can use it as my modem? As in, cancel my internet service? That sounds a little too good to be true..?

That is indeed too good to be true. Your smartphone will contact the internet through the 4g connection or whatever successor is in the works for that. Its good enough for smartphone-optimised internet pages but still a lot slower than internet through cable or ADSL.

In addition smartphones can use local area networks as well, but so can all laptops.

I voted droid because its open ended. Thankfully it appeared on the markets before Apple achieved a lock-in status. Thus, android has been an equal contender from the start allowing its open character to give it the edge over the Iphone.
That is unlike the DOS and windows case where Microsoft cornered the private market before Linux became a factor.

bumblebe
12-08-10, 04:10 AM
I dropped my iPad tonight the same way you dropped your iPhone. I am so sad that when I saw your post I knew I had to give you a hug! I'm so sorry a out your iPhone! You should defenately hold out for another IPhone. U owe it to the one you have now! Lol a bit dramatic I know, but I'm feeling so bad about breaking my iPad:( last month I drowned it and it came back to life a few days later only to be shattered on the pavement :( I nee a hug!

crackerbelly
12-08-10, 04:28 AM
I have an Android, a Fascinate by Samsung. I love it. I can't use it as a modem but I can use it as a wireless hotspot for other devices. It works like a wireless router and connects via 3G. I do have a limitless Internet package. It's spendy but if you really want to use the whole set of features regularly, you pretty much have to do that. That's true with both systems though.

It is more powerful and diverse than most computers I have owned in my life but that would be true of the iPhone as well. The reason I prefer Android is because it is a more open platform, much like PCs were (are) as compared to the Mac. The PC >>> Mac parallel fails a bit because those lines between the systems has blurred with virtualization and emulation.

....but I ramble. Anyhoooooo, Steve Jobs is more inclined to create a walled garden. This means essentially, that Apple reserves the right to say what will and won't go on your phone in the way of applications. So the thinking goes that you ultimately have a more secure and standard environment with a walled garden approach. The trade off is the amount of stuff (applications) you have (or, will have) available to you. If the cell phones go the way that PCs did and I think they will, Google should win in volume but will never really win the hearts of their users the way Apple does.

So, I think in the end, it's a matter of whether you like the nice groomed pathways of the 'Apple Garden' or the wild, wild, west of Android. I'm more the wild west kind. Giddyup pardner.

metzfanaz
12-08-10, 10:58 AM
I loved my Driod, I had the Eris before it became extinct. Had it about 6 months before I decided to drop it and get a Blackberry Curve. My reasons are:

1. ADD with so many apps to play with, I spent most of my time on the phone playing and would get so lost in it I'd forget what I was doing. At work, that kind of sucks. :p

2. My wife and SIL and BIL have BB's so it's easier just to BBM then txt.

3. Touch screen drove me insane, it would take me twice as long to write a txt as normal. I know ppl say you get used to the touch screen, but that didn't work for me.

4. Battery life was crap. I know it's probably because I had alot of stuff running but still, I shouldn't have to figure out what's running and what I need and whatnot just to have a battery last more than half the day.

There were more but I done forgot them. :p

tipoo
12-08-10, 12:36 PM
Droid 2, you mean? I'd go for that one. With the iPhone your in a very locked-in ecosystem, stuck with itunes for music sync, stuck with the app store for apple-approved apps only, etc. Android on the other hand was built to be open. Same goes for how much you can customize the interface, with Android you can make it look however you want, with iOS devices your pretty much stuck with what Apple wants unless you jailbreak. The droid 2 also has a slider keyboard, so weather you like physical ones or virtual ones you have a choice. Android phones are also capable of playing Flash content (the vast majority of online videos and games) and the Droid 2 comes with this by default. Also, Google's rate of updates for Android is far higher, they are constantly adding features and improving performance with software updates. Older iPhone models like the 3G are actually SLOWER with the latest Apple software than they were originally (just search "iphone 3g slower with ios4", this is widespread), so that could be the fate of the newest iPhone as well.

tipoo
12-08-10, 01:18 PM
Also, the browser is faster -

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/droid2_091810233051/24777.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/droid2_091810233051/24773.png

LaVieEnRose
12-08-10, 11:25 PM
I dropped my iPad tonight the same way you dropped your iPhone. I am so sad that when I saw your post I knew I had to give you a hug! I'm so sorry a out your iPhone! You should defenately hold out for another IPhone. U owe it to the one you have now! Lol a bit dramatic I know, but I'm feeling so bad about breaking my iPad:( last month I drowned it and it came back to life a few days later only to be shattered on the pavement :( I nee a hug!

Oh man!! Breaking an iPad deserves more sympathy than an iPhone! **hug** That's terrible and I'm so sorry! Gosh, you'd think they could make them a little more durable! I saw 2 people yesterday with cracked screens on their iPhones! But they weren't the iPhone 4. I wonder if that's improved at all.

LaVieEnRose
12-08-10, 11:29 PM
I loved my Driod, I had the Eris before it became extinct. Had it about 6 months before I decided to drop it and get a Blackberry Curve. My reasons are:

1. ADD with so many apps to play with, I spent most of my time on the phone playing and would get so lost in it I'd forget what I was doing. At work, that kind of sucks. :p

What about the forum?! This place is unlike anything I've ever come across as far as taking my time. I could be (and have been) on here every day for HOURS on end since I found it. I look down at the clock on my computer and I'm stunned.

Either phone that I get will not get anywhere near the attention this website does. I. Am. Addicted.

Werl
12-19-10, 11:46 PM
I love my 4 a lot. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

tipoo
12-19-10, 11:50 PM
I love my 4 a lot. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

No one would have guessed your pick from your avatar or signature :rolleyes: lol

Werl
12-20-10, 12:31 AM
That,and I've used a Droid phone.

tipoo
12-20-10, 12:40 AM
That,and I've used a Droid phone.

Droid 1 or Droid 2? Running which OS? The first came with Android 2.0, but 2.2 is available for it and is much better, and 2.3 is around the corner and about to bring some large improvements as well.

Werl
12-20-10, 12:46 AM
My bad, meant to say I have not tried it.

oops

Velvetdragon
12-20-10, 02:25 AM
My husband and I have Droids; my wife has a Droid Incredible; my dad has a Droid X. Yes, love the Droid!

tipoo
12-20-10, 11:31 AM
My husband and I have Droids; my wife has a Droid Incredible; my dad has a Droid X. Yes, love the Droid!

More importantly, you have a husband AND a wife?

:p

danelady
12-20-10, 11:37 AM

Another driver was just showing me his Evo...I WANT ONE!!

I'm due for an update so I'm getting one. And yes..it is a hotspot so I can cancel my internet service and just use the phone when I want to use my laptop. And I'll still be paying less than I'm paying right now for my freakin' little soup can with a string!

String
12-20-10, 12:34 PM
More importantly, you have a husband AND a wife?

:p

Must've been an English-as-a-second-language snafu.

Velvetdragon
12-20-10, 11:11 PM
No, it's not a snafu, and yes I have both.

I'm polyamorous.

Fortune
12-20-10, 11:32 PM
I believe I'll be able to get a droid soon. It's extravagant but I need a way to disconnect from my computer and still go online. :D Or read ebooks.

Oh, and maybe call people. Who knows? The options are endless.

Trooper Keith
12-21-10, 12:52 AM
I've just got to say, if you haven't decided yet, Swype is ****ing amazing.

If you have the bones for it, I strongly recommend the Samsung Continuum. It is an awesome, awesome piece of machinery.

EshkaronsEngine
12-29-10, 08:02 PM
OMG!! I never thought this day would come. ANDROID u can kiss my hairy *******. I am tired of ur klunkiness and I am getting an Iphone so I can have some FACETIME with peripatetic. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:cool:

Werl
12-29-10, 08:16 PM
What about me?!?!?!?!?!?! I have a 4 too. Also anyone with a Mac can FaceTime as well.

Esh, who is your carrier?

EshkaronsEngine
12-29-10, 08:18 PM
What about me?!?!?!?!?!?! I have a 4 too. Also anyone with a Mac can FaceTime as well.
do u need a phone number or simply an email address. Anyways u can pm me those and sure we can talk bro.

Werl
12-29-10, 08:35 PM
For Mac all you need is a mobile me account.

EshkaronsEngine
12-30-10, 11:13 AM
OMG!! I never thought this day would come. ANDROID u can kiss my hairy *******. I am tired of ur klunkiness and I am getting an Iphone so I can have some FACETIME with peripatetic. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:cool:

Sorry ANDROID for being so hasty. Truly u r the best phone; u do not drop calls. I just hope u won't be jealous with my new iPod Touch.