View Full Version : I lost my prescription on the way to the pharmacy

audreyd
12-04-10, 03:37 PM
I lost my prescription on the way to the pharmacy, and my psych won't refill it.

The whole story is: I saw my psych Nov 2nd for a 6 month follow up, everything was fine and he wrote me my usual prescription for Dex. I didn't need the refill immediately, so I waited until this week.

I was headed to the store/pharmacy on Tuesday so I put the prescription (a tiny scrap of paper!!) in my purse and headed to the store. I was shopping for a impromptu dinner party so I was a bit frazzled, and forgot to actually drop the prescription at the pharmacy to be filled. I was at store #2 when I noticed that the prescription paper was starting to peek over the top of my purse pocket. I admonished myself for forgetting to take it to the pharmacy, tucked it back in and carried on with my evening.

So then yesterday (Friday) I go back to the pharmacy to get the prescription filled and I can't find the paper anywhere. I search my purse, I search my car, and I get a sick feeling when I realize it must have fallen out of my purse somewhere. I immediately call the Dr's office and explain to the receptionist what happened and ask for a new prescription. She says she'll give the message to the Dr, please call back in an hour (close to closing time) I call back and she says that the Dr refuses to re-write the prescription!!!

I calmly re-explain the situation, that I have not had the prescription filled, I didn't lose the meds, just the little paper that allows me to GET the meds. She asks how many I have left (three days worth) and how many the script was written for (50 days worth!!). I tell her 50 days, and her response is "oh, wow." Yeah, no kidding lady. I am SOL without this. So she says she'll relay the info the Dr again, call back Tuesday.

I don't know why I'm writing other than I need to vent about this @#$%-ing system that makes it neccessary for an ADD person to keep track of a tiny slip of paper and get it to the pharmacy. Frankly I'm shocked that this is the first time I've lost one. And the Dr's reaction has me so freaking angry... I mean, isn't there a DEA list somewhere that tracks EVERY time a prescription is filled for an amphetamine? Why the @#$% can't they check that I DID NOT FILL the prescription and write me a new one??

And furthermore, what the @#$% am I going to do if he still refuses to write another prescription???

Yours in ADD Hell,
Audrey

Imnapl
12-04-10, 03:43 PM
I put all prescriptions in the cash section of my wallet. I don't like losing money either so it seems to be a safe place.

Anubis578
12-04-10, 04:37 PM
What I don't understand is why this can't all be done electronically?

A few things that are bugging me:
1. A small piece of paper is required to fill an obviously vital prescription. Paper can be easily lost or damaged. In such a technologically-advanced world, why are we still relying on paper for something so important?
2. This paper is for prescription medication to treat ADHD. That right there should immediately raise red flags. By the definition of our disorder, we are prone to losing things, small slips of paper included. The more important the paper, it seems, the more likely I am to lose it.
3. Electronically, dammit! I didn't realize we were still living in the Dark Ages! Excuse me while I go find my papyrus scroll

Someone posted this a while back and it stuck with me:
"We shouldn't have to overcome our disorder to seek treatment."

I butchered the quote, but I'm hoping I was able to convey the idea behind it. These things are especially important for us. I'm not asking them to hold my hand all the way to the pharmacy, but a little consideration every now and then would be appreciated.

/rant

Imnapl
12-04-10, 04:52 PM
What I don't understand is why this can't all be done electronically?

A few things that are bugging me:
1. A small piece of paper is required to fill an obviously vital prescription. Paper can be easily lost or damaged. In such a technologically-advanced world, why are we still relying on paper for something so important?
/rantExcellent point. To be fair, my family doctor writes his prescriptions on the computer so my hard copy is printed on a full sized sheet of paper.

A word of caution: I take a very expensive medication regularly and although orders are faxed and mailed electronically, my service providers still have to back these up with good old fashioned phone calls to make sure that the electronic record was received because so far it's hit and miss.

audreyd
12-04-10, 06:23 PM
I agree that I should have had the prescription in a more secure place. I do actually have a system for this: a sturdy plastic envelope that all the important little papers (like prescriptions) go into before they go into my purse. But yeah, just this *one* time... you all know the story.

I can't figure out why we're using such an archaic system of walk-the-paper-to-the-pharmacy. You'd think that doing prescriptions electronically would be more secure/traceable?

Anyway... have any of you ever lost a prescription and had your doctor refuse to re-write it? I have been wanting to find a new doctor anyhow and this may be the impetus to finally do it.

Audrey

Imnapl
12-04-10, 08:38 PM
Anyway... have any of you ever lost a prescription and had your doctor refuse to re-write it? I have been wanting to find a new doctor anyhow and this may be the impetus to finally do it.

AudreySorry, I've lost lots of things, but never a prescription - thank God for OCD at times. On the other hand, my daughter moved and is having a terrible time finding a doctor who will prescribe her medication, even with the paperwork from the psychiatrist here. She had to phone our family doctor here and he faxed a prescription to her, but for only one month. So much for the myth that it's so easy to get prescriptions for ADHD medications. :rolleyes:

chartreuse
12-04-10, 09:22 PM
I agree that I should have had the prescription in a more secure place. I do actually have a system for this: a sturdy plastic envelope that all the important little papers (like prescriptions) go into before they go into my purse. But yeah, just this *one* time... you all know the story.

I can't figure out why we're using such an archaic system of walk-the-paper-to-the-pharmacy. You'd think that doing prescriptions electronically would be more secure/traceable?

Audrey

I would definitely do it. And report this doctor to the medical board in your state.

I don't get the whole paper prescription thing either. In my state, Oregon, the more potent drugs, such as stimulants, are required to have a paper prescription. What that means in practical terms for me (I have Kaiser) is that I put in a refill request, my psych okays it in the computer (which is instantly available to the pharmacy), then puts out the paper prescription to be carried by mail clerk from his office on an upper floor to the pharmacy on the first floor. Unless he's on vacation and somebody at another branch is covering; then it can take days for the paper copy of that damn prescription to make it to the right place.

I don't know about the status of a country-wide database for prescriptions, but I do know this - unless they have some prior reason to distrust you (such as you've "lost" prescriptions twice before), then they absolutely have an obligation to assume you're being an honest. Better to let a few junkies or dealers get an extra prescription than to deny someone meds they honestly need.