View Full Version : Generalised anxiety, or GAD; what do you take for it?

Sweet_pea
12-05-10, 09:53 AM
Anyone have GAD? or just generalized anxiety that manifests in too much worrying, like me? I'm curious what you take for it.

I've been on Zoloft for a year, tapering off over the last few weeks, almost quit now. I'm concerned that the worries are creeping back slowly, but I can't be sure. However, sex side-effects are definitely subsiding, which is GREAT. So I've decided I'm not going back on Zoloft any time soon.

I have a trusty stash of Valium for the occasional extra-anxious times, but that's no solution for pervasive anxiety that can't be pinned down to any specific situation, infiltrating my entire life with ridiculous obsessive worries. OK hopefully it won't get to that point again. But I'm trying to be prepared this time.

Has anyone found a good med for generalized anxiety WITHOUT sexual side effects?

Abi
12-05-10, 10:34 AM
I've had sereve GAD since childhood, though I was only dx'ed as a young adult.

I take 0.5 mg Klonopin (Clonazepam) every 12 hours. Works like a charm. It has no sexual side effects. I *strongly* recommend this medication for GAD.

I take SSRI's (for depression) but they don't help my GAD at all. Klonopin will give you a smooth, consistent feeling of calm and well-being throughout the day, as it metabolises very slowly compared to something like Valium.

Lunacie
12-05-10, 10:41 AM
I have GAD, and I also have SAD. I looked for information on treating SAD with supplements and discovered research indicating that people with SAD often have very low levels of Vitamin D (which is really a hormone, not a vitamin). I added Vitamin D3 to my regimen, and was disappointed when it didn't seem to be working.

But before giving up like I did last fall/winter, I upped the dose. And yay! It seems to be working now. It also seems to be helping with the GAD - even though I should be stressed to the max this week. I've having some repairs done on my house and the repair guy is making a LOT of noise. It's not pleasant, but I'm not freaking out and I'm not ending up yelling at the grandkids like I probably would have a month ago.

I'm still looking for a supplement that will prevent the migraines - research seems to be indicating some similarities to other neurological disorders like ADHD and Depression - and a very clear relation to Seizure Disorder. So if Omega 3 helps me with the ADHD and Vitamin D3 helps with the Depression and Anxiety, I hope I can find something to help with the Migraines.

hollywood
12-14-10, 03:58 PM
maybe bright lights . I hear they can be quite useful.

shelly7783
12-14-10, 08:44 PM
I was prescribed Lexapro and Buspar for GAD. It helped take the edge off, but since my anxiety is a side effect of the ADD, I think my adderall has helped the anxiety too, in conjunction with the Lexapro and Buspar. The great thing about these two drugs is they don't have many side effects. I had none when I started taking them, and still don't.

hollywood
12-14-10, 09:15 PM
Really? No fatigue or sedation? I have had some sides, just don't want any weight gain or anything. Lexapro is supposed to be neither activating nor sedating right?

Sweet_pea
12-18-10, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys. Not too keen on another SSRI as I think it's likely to have the same side-effects, and I think I'm still sick from Zoloft withdrawal ... don't want to go through this again.

Will keep Klonopin in mind - might have trouble getting prescribed a benzo though.

Vitamin D & bright light - I don't know - I think I'm ODed on this stuff as it's summer here in Australia :) right under the lovely ozone layer hole.

Buspar - don't know much about this - do you take it specifically for GAD? does it work alone?