View Full Version : Starting Focalin tomorrow...

FinkPloyd
12-06-10, 07:36 PM
Greetings!

I am currently taking 70mg vyvanse and 20mg adderall daily, but for whatever reason even this dosage just isnt doing it for me. I have tried upping my dose with various combinations of vyvanse and adderall with good results, however i am VERY selfconscious about being prescribed such heavy doses. I have found that what works best for me would be around 100mg vyvanse in the morning with 30mg adderall booster in the evening, however since I have never even heard of anyone taking that much i don't feel comfortable even going to a pharmacy with such excessively high doses of amphetamines. Before you judge, keep in mind that every person is different. I don't abuse my meds, honestly i just really do need that high of a dose.

My doctor and i have a good relationship, and he has been open to prescribing me any dose of any med available. He is 100% comfortable with prescribing me way higher doses of amphetamines, however i am just not comfortable with it so we have agreed to try something else- Focalin. I have never tried a methylphenidate product, so im hoping that i wont need as high of a dose of methyls as i do amphetamines.

My doctor has prescribed me 20mg focalin xr, which i am to start at 10mg once daily in the morning, and increase as needed up to 40mg. Everything i have read indicates that thats a very high dose to be taking, especially since it is my first time taking any methylphenidate. Since there are so few focalin threads, i havent been able to read much about other peoples experiences with focalin. Are there any other people out there who have similar experiences as mine? Anyone who took high doses of amphetamines, and switched to focalin? Is 10mg focalin too much to start with?

StoicNate
12-07-10, 06:11 PM
Focalin is 2-3 times stronger than Ritalin.

I hope you have a good reaction with Focalin.

Always get the brand with Focalin, since Teva/Barr makes the generic Instant Release form of Focalin and people get more side effects with Teva/Barr generics.

hollywood
12-07-10, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about your dosages. I take a high dose too, I don't abuse either, never would . I just require more. I have tried ssri's in combo to see if that helps , it just messes me up. Fact is that I require more milligrams than some people. Don't worry about it, be thankful your doc is smart.

FocusPocus10
05-03-12, 07:20 PM
Focalin is 2-3 times stronger than Ritalin.

I hope you have a good reaction with Focalin.

Always get the brand with Focalin, since Teva/Barr makes the generic Instant Release form of Focalin and people get more side effects with Teva/Barr generics.

While I'll be the first (and loudest) to criticize barr generic IR adderall, do you have evidence that all of their medications are poor? I notice no difference between brand and generic teva focalin, and I am quite sensitive to these things. Barr adderall xr for example is supposedly made by shire but is cheaper than the "shire xr", so maybe we shouldn't religiously oppose barr?

Yellow
06-10-12, 10:34 AM
@OP - 10mg is not a high dose, its a moderate/medium dose....tho high for some and not enough for other lol....i take 20mgs IR, 5mg does nothing, 10mgs is a very brief moment of clarity followed by an annoyed state of "what just happened" a few minutes later, and 20mgs is a couple of hours of focus. ive taken 30mgs before to check if it might last longer than 20, but that just seemed like i was intoxicated, so 20mgs it is for me....gota see what it is for u, good luck

LauraF915
06-10-12, 01:01 PM
I'm on 20 mg XR & have been for a long time. I did start on other stimulants before landing at Focalin (I have been on Ritalin before), but I'm pretty sure that when I started on Focalin it was at the 20 mg dose (it's been like 5 years now so I don't remember exactly).

I think a lot depends on your body size/type and how you react as to whether 20 MG is a lot or not...

VioletC
06-16-12, 12:57 PM
@OP, I think a lot of the time the problem with Focalin posts is that the dosages discussed are children's dosages. 10 mg XR is what I take, and that was my starting dose. That's the lowest dose I have heard of an adult taking.

There is a relationship between dosing for amphetamine based meds and methyphenidate based ones, but it is not a perfect one, and you'll soon enough see for yourself.

Good luck to you.

Yellow
06-19-12, 09:30 AM
well hows it goin, update....................

VioletC
06-29-12, 09:29 AM
How are you doing?!

G252013
10-26-12, 05:31 PM
Update?

hollywood
10-29-12, 12:19 AM
Update

G252013
10-29-12, 02:15 PM
Update: