View Full Version : Still trying to get stims! Grrrrrrr.......

finallyfound10
12-09-10, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I am now trying a PCP at a non-profit Christian-based family health center tomorrow that takes people w/o insurance since I can't get stims from the psychiatrist at the non-profit Christian-based counseling center I go to just Prozac as she thinks that my anxiety and depression are the issue and not the ADHD. She said is the Prozac doesn't work we can try Strattera. I know that she really doesn't want to prescribe a stim AND I've researched Strattera and don't want to try it. Can I just tell you how anxious I've been since not being able to get the evidenced-based treatments for this yucky condition! I just want to try a stim! Not having insurance sux!!!! Why, why why did I quit my full-time job with benefits to go to nursing school full-time?????

:eek:

lynette19775
12-10-10, 12:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I am now trying a PCP at a non-profit Christian-based family health center tomorrow that takes people w/o insurance since I can't get stims from the psychiatrist at the non-profit Christian-based counseling center I go to just Prozac as she thinks that my anxiety and depression are the issue and not the ADHD. She said is the Prozac doesn't work we can try Strattera. I know that she really doesn't want to prescribe a stim AND I've researched Strattera and don't want to try it. Can I just tell you how anxious I've been since not being able to get the evidenced-based treatments for this yucky condition! I just want to try a stim! Not having insurance sux!!!! Why, why why did I quit my full-time job with benefits to go to nursing school full-time?????

:eek:

Does your town have any non-profit clinics that are not "C"-based? The forum guidelines state we can't talk religion, so I will just say that I am a "what you mentioned". But I also know sometimes religion based organizations tend to have a more conservative and restrictive mentality toward psychotropic meds than secular ones.

*Mods--I really hope I am not crossing the line here. I'm trying to tiptoe but I don't know if I overstepped a boundary or not. Feel free to delete this if I'm in violation. I won't be upset. Thanks.*

imreallyjin
12-10-10, 07:19 PM
lol. i feel you man. i'm scraping as much as money i could to get a diagnostic test & get my doc to prescribe me stim other than ritalin (which really sucks btw).

So far, I had to wait about 6 months to save $300 for diagnostic test and $75 for another visit... and it's not even guaranteed that my doc will believe in me :(

my bet is either to
1. take strat and tell her that it's not working
2. somehow find money and go to a psych, praying that he/she is the right one.

ADHDTigger
12-10-10, 08:11 PM
ImReally, have you looked at if you qualify for SoCal medical assistance? Might be worth a try- especially since you are a student.

Atypical Sand
12-12-10, 07:29 PM
Have you considered actually willingly trying Strattera? It didn't work for me but it does work well for a lot of people. If you have no insurance at all they have assistance programs for affordable medicine and it doesn't have the restrictions that stimulants have regarding refills and hardcopy Rx.

Plus, if it does help but has too many side effects (this happened to me) it helps give any future doctor some idea of where to start and helps you know how to tell if your medication is working.