View Full Version : Questions about Abilify, 2 mgs

AddaptAbilities
12-10-10, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I was recently put on 2 mgs of Abilify as a mood stabilizer and to deal with some "intrusive thoughts" (basically I'm still lucid enough to know that the furniture is not plotting against me, but still felt compelled to cover the offending piece in aluminum foil. Seriously).

I am also on 50 mgs of Zoloft and 60 mgs of Vyvanse, soon to go to 70.

I was reading about some of the potential side effects of Abilify. Restlessness seems to be the most common one, but there are also things like muscle tics and spasms, unusual weakness, difficulty lowering body temp if you overheat ... that sort of thing.

Has anyone here had trouble with these? I want to make sure I can still exercise (since that's an important part of mood/concentration management for me).

Also, you're not supposed to have alcohol on Abilify. How hard is this rule? Is a drink at a party or wine with Christmas dinner OK, or can you really, absolutely NOT DRINK?

Thanks, everyone. It's helping me a lot to read other people's experiences.

ironmountain
12-19-10, 02:20 AM
I'm on 30mg of Adderall XR 2x/day and 80mg of Celexa and just this past week I started 1/2 5mg? Abilify (small blue rectangular pill) and next week I will bump up to 1 full. I haven't noticed anything. I take all of this in the morning around 7am...I'm hitting the weights by 7:30-8:00 and doing intervals/HIIT around 9ish...

buddy
12-19-10, 03:59 PM
I am on 30mgs of Abilify & I haven't had any side effects in the 2.5yrs. I've been on it.
I live on a farm & do lots of heavy work & it hasn't affected me at all.I also have wine
a couple of times during the week with no effects.I also take Paxil 60mgs,xanax 2mgs &
dexedrine all with no side effects.Best of luck to you.
buddy

AddaptAbilities
01-05-11, 12:58 AM
Thanks for replying. It's good to know what other people have experienced.

Now that I've been on it for a month, I'm liking it -- no real side effects (except dry mouth, but I get that with *everything*) and it works really well.

Yellow
01-14-11, 12:02 PM
2mg of abilify is ususally used for addon for depression or to start titration for a higher dose, i wouldnt expect much from it, but youd need weeks to tell, 5mg maybe would start to feel effects, but the usual dose range is 10 -15mg and then adjusted upwards from there. i find 5mgs to work, but 10mgs to be stronger in its stabilization

myvinyl333
01-17-11, 10:41 PM
I used Abilify for about 2 months then stopped because the delusions ceased. There was some restlessness, but not bad.

Now I am on Haldol due to reoccurring delusions... decided not to go back to Abilify?

Yellow
01-18-11, 01:54 PM
take abilify over the haldol. abilify has least metabolic risks of all antipsychotics, especially the older typical antipsychs.

daveddd
01-18-11, 01:57 PM
im pretty sure all meds say not to drink alcohol with them

daveddd
01-18-11, 01:58 PM
I used Abilify for about 2 months then stopped because the delusions ceased. There was some restlessness, but not bad.

Now I am on Haldol due to reoccurring delusions... decided not to go back to Abilify?

isnt it funny when are meds actually work we decide we dont need them anymore :D

Yellow
01-18-11, 01:58 PM
were on almost the same meds...i also agree dont drink alcohol

myvinyl333
01-18-11, 02:12 PM
isnt it funny when are meds actually work we decide we dont need them anymore :D
Correct!!! I have contacted my Dr. and want to go back to Abilify....

ironmountain
01-19-11, 04:09 PM
I'm now on 15mg of abilify in the AM with 30mg of Adderall XR and 80mg of Celexa and 4mg of Gabitril at bedtime. I wake up and end up staying very anxious and in need to do something. Wondering if it's a side from upping the Abilify or if 4mg of Gabitril would affect me all day/evening like that.

I wake up feeling anxious and jittery, like I need to do something right now. Not sure I want to keep waking up at 4am to shovel the driveway or clean the basement or stove or workout for 2 1/2hrs... or if I'm just going through a very manic phase. Saw pdoc last week and he noticed I was severely on edge and ready to go go go (this was prior to adding gabitril into the mix which makes me think it's not the Gabi)...