View Full Version : Is Technology Turning Society ADD? Is That Good For Us?

EshkaronsEngine
12-12-10, 08:38 PM
There is never a dull moment for me anymore. Out on my smoke breaks I play 3 games constantly switching between them.

I'm also learning French Vocab in-between.

I post a lot on this forum.

I study computer programming a bit along with a bit of math. On the rare down moments I'll watch a little TV usually something educational.

I have never been more alive. I am surrounded by technology and find it fits my mind perfectly.

I think a person today with ADHD is actually at an advantage since there is so many distractions with so many gadgets. I think technology may very well save us ADHDers.

Abi
12-12-10, 08:55 PM
I don't agree with the exact phrasing "turning society ADD", but yeah I otherwise agree with you.

Technology is making life -somewhat- easier and more liveable for us ADDers, and I'm glad.

As for it being a good thing -- well, it's good for us :D

tipoo
12-12-10, 11:13 PM
So at what point will todays NT's take pills to make them have ADHD? lol

EshkaronsEngine
12-12-10, 11:37 PM
So at what point will todays NT's take pills to make them have ADHD? lol
I think they call that METH.

Abi
12-13-10, 02:06 PM
METH doesnt turn people ADD.

People who take meth are largely those with undx'ed conditions like depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, possibly even ADHD who take it to 'escape' from their emotional and other woes.

Of course, since Meth is very stong, and not particularly clean, it effs up their brains more creating a vicious cycle. :(

Antiks72
12-13-10, 02:20 PM
I think the overload from technology is overwhelming people, and making them more distractable. I'm not so sure full blown ADD is on the rise, but it could be. I do know there's been thinking that toxins could be the cause of ADD, which is the equivalent of brain damage.

Antiks72
12-13-10, 02:21 PM

People who take meth are largely those with undx'ed conditions like depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, possibly even ADHD who take it to 'escape' from their emotional and other woes.

Of course, since Meth is very stong, and not particularly clean, it effs up their brains more creating a vicious cycle. :(

I'm not a chemist but meth and other "legal" stimulants are very similar. What jacks people up about meth is that they're taking massive doses of it. If you regulate the dosage it might be not as bad for you. Still scary stuff, however.

ideaman
12-13-10, 02:32 PM
I think the society is continuously becoming less ADHD-friendly. Having said that, a PDA is a useful tool to deal with the increased organization and indirect communication demands of our times. I sure would prefer to live in the 60's now.

addkid92
01-15-11, 09:09 AM
Actually, I just took a test on the new york times that measures focus. There was an article that discussed this very topic. Technology is very stimulating from what I've heard for people with ADHD - I myself, am constantly surrounded by it, engaged in a variety of subjects while connected.

It can be a blessing our a curse. I believe the latest DSM manual is supposed to have internet addiction in it - with ADHD and a variety of other psychiatric disorders as possible causes.

daveddd
01-15-11, 10:12 AM

plenty of drug addicts are just drug addicts

EshkaronsEngine
01-15-11, 02:07 PM
Actually, I just took a test on the new york times that measures focus. There was an article that discussed this very topic. Technology is very stimulating from what I've heard for people with ADHD - I myself, am constantly surrounded by it, engaged in a variety of subjects while connected.

It can be a blessing our a curse. I believe the latest DSM manual is supposed to have internet addiction in it - with ADHD and a variety of other psychiatric disorders as possible causes.
Interesting! I find the internet the perfect supplier of my constant need 4 stimulation. Actually perfection is this very forum. I don't watch tv anymore and I have to tear myself away to do other things like read books, which I'm failing to do at the moment. I have to check out that manual to see this.

INTERNET ADDICTION: CAUSE - ADHD:p

addkid92
01-15-11, 08:43 PM
Interesting! I find the internet the perfect supplier of my constant need 4 stimulation. Actually perfection is this very forum. I don't watch tv anymore and I have to tear myself away to do other things like read books, which I'm failing to do at the moment. I have to check out that manual to see this.

INTERNET ADDICTION: CAUSE - ADHD:p

Your absolutely right about the internet being a good source of stimulation. I am constantly researching this condition, and, other medical conditions - when I get bored of that - it's straight to the video games.

This is very bothersome to me, I do appreciate what the internet has to offer as far as learning is concerned, at the same time though - I wish I had other interests THAN the internet or video games. Which is why, in a month or so - I'm going to order a robotics kit and tinker around with it. Something relevant to technology - but that doesn't involve sitting at a computer for hours on end.

How long have you gone without the computer, cell phone, video game console, and the internet? for me - i'll be honest, it's been a day lol....

I miss the old days when I had my lego kit.

EshkaronsEngine
01-15-11, 08:53 PM
How long have you gone without the computer, cell phone, video game console, and the internet?

I had to go without internet for 4 effing days over the Christmas holidays and I thot I was gonna die. Thank gawd I had my phone and was texting and talking with my friend a lot or I don't know if I would have pulled through.;)

MissesS
01-28-12, 11:26 PM
I agree with this. I believe my ADHD symptoms surfaced when I started using the Internet. I was only diagnosed last year but looking back, I used to spend a lot of time surfing, chatting etc. I still do. It's one thing I can't drag myself away from.

I bet I would have coped fine with my other symptoms. I had already developed coping mechanisms for things. But the first time I ever hyperfocused in my life was when using the Internet.

Fraser_0762
01-28-12, 11:29 PM
You could argue that the world is so busy these days, that people pretty much need to hop from one task to another.

Not long until the ADD'ers are teaching the NT'ers how to cope! :D

Psychomaze
01-29-12, 12:41 AM
Honestly, I've always hated the terms "ADDers" and "NT" but people as a whole love information, love sharing ideas, love voicing ideas, and love finding others with things in common (even those who are 'closed-minded')

Remember talking for endless hours on the phone with someone, or hanging out until you realize that a whole day has passed you by? Or how about wanting to read about some of the most obscure stuff that you can't find through normal channels.

Let's face it: It's not about the ADD, it's about people getting 'high' on information (if you forgive the blatant rip-off from the lyrics "Californication")

Otherwise we would not have newspapers or magazines to get the most up to date information on the world, or libraries to do research on topics you have an interest in that's not taught in school.

It's all about the how you get access to it. These days we get it online.

(here's my 2 cents into the topic ^^; )

soccerboy
05-03-12, 07:53 PM
Im so addicted to the internet I love jumping around from topic to topic. I don't even take the time to particiapte in forums like this, reading is way more fun.

ana futura
05-03-12, 08:21 PM
All I know is that my life was ten times better before the internet.

Rebelyell
05-03-12, 08:22 PM
Me too soccerboy:D I never knew what nt ment till I came here but I dont get most non adhd people and they dont seem to get me either.Sometimes I think the stoners/party people troublemakers ive come across in life Ive had the best times w because maybe they had some kind of add or neuro or behaviorial problemsand we could both relate to one another.Years ago my mom told me maybe some one does look up to me and some of those people who seemed attracted towards me maybe they were looking for help,as in a stronger person to guide them and maybe you were there light.I replied oh come on mom and she replied you be suprised by who sees one in a positive light.
Seeing who started this thread makes me sad as he is no longer w us on here or in life.We just all just want t belong and get along and get thru this crazy thing we call life.

Conman
05-03-12, 08:23 PM
my life was 10 times better after the internet. i doubt it makes people more susceptible to be ADD as it isnt something you "catch" like a cold or the flu. you get born with it, and it becomes more influenced depending on your environment.

i will note though that kids get stupider each year from what ive seen, and i think technology doesnt help since theyre becoming too dependent on it. when i was a kid, fun was outside of the house all the time or playing video games with siblings/friends. now kids stay in all day and leave to ****faced and ****. i mean i see 6 to 10 year olds who have a cellphone for crying out loud.

ana futura
05-03-12, 09:21 PM
my life was 10 times better after the internet. i doubt it makes people more susceptible to be ADD as it isnt something you "catch" like a cold or the flu. you get born with it, and it becomes more influenced depending on your environment.

i will note though that kids get stupider each year from what ive seen, and i think technology doesnt help since theyre becoming too dependent on it. when i was a kid, fun was outside of the house all the time or playing video games with siblings/friends. now kids stay in all day and leave to ****faced and ****. i mean i see 6 to 10 year olds who have a cellphone for crying out loud.

Oh, I definitely had ADD before the internet, but I also at least tried to do useful things with myself. The internet is nothing more than a dopamine machine for me. Why go outside, when I can just click on things all day. I'm sure I would find other means of procrastination, but computers make it soooo easy. I should have said "my life was ten times better before my internet addiction."

Fortune
05-03-12, 09:34 PM
Before the internet, the idea of a "social life" was alien to me.

Actually, it was more like "before BBSes" but the principle is fairly similar.

ana futura
05-03-12, 10:16 PM
Before the internet, the idea of a "social life" was alien to me.

Actually, it was more like "before BBSes" but the principle is fairly similar.

And my social life has only suffered because of it. I do enjoy spending time at places like this, but the more time I spend online the less I try to interact with my "real life" friends, or do anything in "real life". I have never struggled with any addiction other than the internet, but I imagine it's a lot like alcoholism.

If a person can use alcohol responsibly, then it's much easier for them to see the good in it. For myself alcohol is fairly harmless, but for some people alcohol is disasterous. I really doubt I would have graduated from college if I had internet access back then.

I do understand that most people use the internet responsibly, just like I can drink responsibly. The addiction isn't caused by the thing, but by the user.

zoomman
08-17-12, 06:56 PM
I don't think ADHD is caused by modern technology any more than blindness is caused by closing one's eyes.

People can learn to have shorter attention spans. Indeed, technology's promise of convenience is to save time, and sometimes it seems it is doubly so for media. People began flipping through channels as soon as there were channels to flip through on a TV set. Quick change buttons very quickly arose in on car radios.

I was born with ADHD, and while any number of my childhood classmates might now chatter like monkeys on multiple media, I was the one who got in trouble for not "paying attention" in class, who was teased for being a "space case" and "weird", because I simply could not focus or process what was being presented to me, for acting impulsively, for being ADHD me.