View Full Version : 30 Minute timer...

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
12-12-10, 09:17 PM
So, after 6 months of trying to get my ADHD (among other mental issues) under control,

I fought against use of a timer for fact I resent being beholden to time and was fearful of the perceived rigidity and mental exasperation associated with organizing doing in accordance with time. Sometimes, its easier for me to ignore a problem and accept whatever consequences because I am more fearful of the mind state I get into if I address it (think OCD).

I finally got to a place where I could implement use of a timer and a log. It's a good solution for my inability to maintain site of the goal and the steps to achieve it. While in process of a task, I lack the ability to rethink, revise, redirect, etc. to stay on target. I find that I get lost, one tangent at a time to where I end up getting so far away that I have to go back to square 1 to orient myself again. I don't think tangents are entirely bad, but I can get pretty far away within a pretty short period of time.

I don't have an automatic "re-set" and "re-evaluate", having a timer go off every 30 minutes provides necessary manual "re-set." The log comes into use by simply writing down the 30 min check was acknowledged, and sometimes notes on what was done, needs to be done, etc. For every 2 or 3 30-min checks, I am making myself move from where I am for a few minutes -- mainly to make myself urinate, eat, and drink -- because as ridiculous as it is, they're never necessary to do until its urgent.

Well, either or,

Thinking of using a timer as a "Re-Set" is helping...

... good way to touch bases with myself (cuz it feels like there are a few distinct conscious selfs... that start in concert and devolve into into uncoordinated improve or worse, just noise).

Kasechka
03-23-11, 02:43 PM
Brilliant! I'm going to try this using my IPhone tomorrow.

Dizfriz
03-23-11, 03:38 PM
You are on the right track. Since ADHDers often have deficit in the ability to judge and use time, the trick is to make time concrete. Timers, clocks whatever. These are prosthetic devices for the time sense and can work well.

For ADHDers the primary issue is the lack of ability to use internal motivation and cues so the more that can be put in the environment the better. This makes a good general principle for dealing with the disorder.

Dizfriz

Cacho
04-15-11, 09:32 PM
Sounds great. I've tried a timer, but my problem is that I set it once or twice and then I sort of get annoyed with it and let it ring and just keep on working...... and then of course I gradually veer off course and I end up wasting time as usual. Or I delay setting the timer for a task because I don't want to do it, so then I never end up using the timer.

StoicNate
04-15-11, 10:32 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that.
I have really bad time control.

I would have to find/buy me a really loud timer, since the one on my phone is pathetically quiet even when it's on the maximum volume setting.