View Full Version : What should I say?

tttts
12-13-10, 10:03 PM
Well, I recently discovered that I most certainly have ADHD primarily inattentive type. It seems like my whole life make sense now..(especially why I have near genious intelligence, but only a B average in school) I have a doctor's appointment in a few days, just a regular physcial. I plan on letting him know that I believe I have ADD, and why I believe so.

But the problem is that I've been taking Concerta illegally from a friend for a couple weeks. It helps a lot and I finally feel like I can work up to my potential. I've even been messing around, trying to find the best dose. Since I've started taking it in the morning, I've noticed a huge difference in every aspect of my life.

Should I tell my doctor that I've been taking it ilegally or not? I don't want to be put on an 18 mg starting dose because I think that even the next dose up (36mg) is too low for me. I've been taking 54-72 mg and its been working well.

But, the thought of telling this to a doctor worries me. I feel like he might think I'm a drug addict or be reluctant to prescribe me anything.

Possum
12-13-10, 10:19 PM
Its it a bad idea to take meds that have been prescribed for other people. In this case, its backfired on you already.

If you're not honest with your doctor, he can't treat you. In your case, if you're honest with your doctor, He WON'T treat you.

Most doctors will view your experimentation with concerta as "drug seeking" - a major reason not to prescribe any drug that may be habit forming.

The best advise I can give you is to stop fooling around with someone else's meds. Go to your doctor and describe your symptoms honestly. Then take any medicine he may prescribe AS DIRECTED. Its not going to kill you to spend a few weeks titrating up to the proper dose as determined by you AND your doctor.

penguin
12-13-10, 10:57 PM
Good Advice!