Cynthia (CJ) Sutton
Title: Mental health counselor
Address: 1017 SE Delaware Ave. Suite A
Ankeny, Iowa,
Phone: 515-965-5872
E-mail: cynsutton@aol.com
Web Address: http://www.cjsutton.uswestdex.com
Areas Served: Ankeny, Des Moines and surrounding area
Professional Associations: Associate Member American Psychological Association (APA), American Counseling Association (APA), Association for Treatment and Training in the Attachment of Children (ATTACh), EMDR International Association (EMDRIA), Child Abuse Prevention Council (CAPC)
Organization Type: Private Practice
Staff: Under 3
Types of Therapy/Theoretical Orientations: Child Assessment, Eclectic, Humanistic, Play, Psychodynamic
Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Adjustment disorders, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Bipolar/mania, Depression/dysthymia, Gay/lesbian Issues, Personality disorders, Womens Issues, Attachment Disorders
Fees: Medicaid, Medicare, Sliding-scale, Reasonable fee for service, Some insurance
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9AM - 7PM Emergencies Anytime
Additional Information: General practice of counseling for individuals, families and couples--adults and children. Special emphasis on the use of EMDR (see http://www.emdr.com) for more information. I believe that all persons who come to counseling are striving toward health and are entitled to my highest regard no matter where they are in their healing process. I am a facilitator and "cheerleader." My clients are the heroes and heroines whom I admire and respect and from whom I continue to learn.

F. Sammet, ACSW, LISW.
Title: Clinical social worker, Marital and Family therapist, Mental health counselor
Address: PMB 196
Iowa City, Iowa,
Phone: 319.351.5775
E-mail: Fdsammet@avalon.net
Areas Served: Johnson Co.
Professional Associations: ACSW, LISW
Organization Type: Private Practice
Staff: Under 3
Types of Therapy/Theoretical Orientations: Adult Assessment, Child Assessment, Psychiatric Assessment, Behavioral, Cognitive behavioral, Family/Marital
Disorders Treated: ADHD/ADD, Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, Depression/dysthymia, Eating disorders, Mens Issues, Personality disorders, Sexual disorders
Fees: Insurance, Medicaid, Set cash fee
Additional Information: Specializing in behavior, personality, and eating disorders. 12+ years of clinical experience with mental health and family system treatment. In-home services available

KnittingJunkie
03-25-05, 03:55 PM
It's in Iowa City, but completely worth the drive even if you're in Cedar Rapids or all the way over in Davenport. They're not paying me to go to the trouble of advertising for them...I just like 'em that much.;)

The Neuropsychiatric Clinic & Counseling
2101 ACT Circle, Suite 202
Iowa City, Iowa, 52245
Phone: (319) 337-6483. Fax: (319) 337-4208

Vernon P. Varner, M.D., J.D.
This guy rocks! (No, seriously.) He spins Neurology in with Psychiatry, he's a lwayer (so he can be quite an advocate) and he's got ADD, so he doesn't just look at it from the eyes of an educated practitioner--he actually knows what it's like.:)

Haven't actually seen the others as a true client, but I've met them all, if just briefly, and they all seem very cool. I have it on good authority (from an employee who I know wouldn't lie just to avoid getting in trouble) that, in fact, they are very talented.

Others in the practice, listed in alphabetical order:

Susan Fisher, M.A., L.M.F.T.
Specialties: Couples, Family, and Play Therapies, as well as Individual Therapy

Sandy Gannon, A.C.S.W., Licensed Independent Social Worker (L.I.S.W.)
Specialties: Relationship Issues, Teens and Parents, Anxiety, Stress, PTSD, Depression, and Biofeedback for Pain Management

Phil Striegel, Ph.D., L.M.F.T.
Clinical member, A.A.M.F.T.
Specializes in Individual, Couples, and Family Therapy

Lynda Topp-Varner, M.S.W., A.C.S.W., L.I.S.W.
Advanced Practitioner Member of the Association for Conflict Resolution
Specialties not declared...however, of all the counselors, I have spent the most time around Lynda, and I think she can handle just about anything.

David W. Young, Ph.D., L.M.F.T.
Specialties: Individual, Couples, and Family Therapy

Imnapl
06-30-05, 12:07 PM
Vernon P. Varner, M.D., J.D.
This guy rocks! (No, seriously.) He spins Neurology in with Psychiatry, he's a lwayer (so he can be quite an advocate) and he's got ADD, so he doesn't just look at it from the eyes of an educated practitioner--he actually knows what it's like.:)

A Google found this:

Vernon P. Varner, M.D., a 61 year-old psychiatrist practicing in Iowa City, Iowa, entered into an
Amended Settlement Agreement with the Board. On March 4, 1999, the Board filed charges against
Dr. Varner alleging numerous competency-related violations in the practice of psychiatry. Dr.
Varner entered into a Settlement Agreement with the Board to resolve the charges. Dr. Varner was
required to complete a competency evaluation and his medical license was placed on probation for
five years. He also agreed to have his practice reviewed by a Board-approved practice monitor. Dr.
Varner completed the competency evaluation in April of 2000, and the program concluded that he
demonstrated deficiencies in: 1) medical knowledge; 2) clinical judgment; 3) use of psychiatric
medications; and 4) medical record keeping. Dr. Varner agreed to complete a 12-month education
plan. At the conclusion of the education plan the assessment program concluded that many serious
practice deficiencies continued to exist. Under the terms of the Amended Settlement Agreement, Dr.
Varner has agreed to have his practice reviewed by a competency review panel, made up of three
psychiatrists, to determine whether he is competent to continue the practice of psychiatry.

[/QUOTE]

Imnapl
06-30-05, 04:22 PM
. . . and this

Vernon P. Varner, M.D., a 57 year old physician from Iowa City, Iowa, was charged by the Iowa Board of Medical Examiners with failure to conform to the prevailing standard of care in the practice of medicine in the state of Iowa. Dr. Varner is alleged to have prescribed multiple psychotropic and/or narcotic medications in large doses over extended periods of time without proper documentation and without providing sufficient monitoring and supervision. A hearing on the charges is scheduled for May 27, 1999.

Imnapl
06-30-05, 06:19 PM
. . .and this

Vernon P.Varner , M.D. , a 58 year-old psychiatrist from Iowa City, Iowa , entered into a Settlement
Agreement and Final Order with the Board. Dr. Varner was charged with professional incompetency
for demonstrating a pattern of violations of the prevailing standard of care when on numerous
occasions he inappropriately prescribed psychotropic medications and narcotics to several patients.
Dr. Varnerís Iowa medical license was placed probation for a period of five years under certain terms
and conditions. He successfully completed a competency evaluation and entered into a practice
monitoring program with the Board.

boardtabitz
06-07-06, 05:01 PM
Kavilier and Associates, I think that is how it is spelled.

Dannille32
07-23-06, 12:16 AM
My daughter was seeing Kaviler and Assc. You could check them out. The are great in dealing with anyone with ADD, ADHD, Bipolar and Ect. anyways ... look them up they are located on 1003 Grand Ave. in West Desmoines. I hope this helps .. and yes they are good with Adults and Children .. Good luck..
Dannille

thewfh
11-07-06, 09:32 PM
OUch!

meadd823
08-21-08, 11:40 PM
I am attempting to get a single place for people to go when they are looking for professional in their region to help with ADD - if you know a good reputable health care practitioner that treats adults with ADD by all mean do share - if one really really sucks then by all means do share that to -

With that said:

Please be advised readers are responsible for all research into any and all health care professionals as well as baring the sole responsibility for final ADD treatment decisions. ADDF doesn't recommend or endorse any one and all opinions shared by the member are the opinions of that member and in no way reflects the opinion of ADDF as a community

Although I won't delete recommendations for children I am mostly looking for adult ADD care

In the mean time I do have a collection of directories located in the diagnosis section than may be of use to some Where Can I Find a Health Care Professional? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33989)