View Full Version : Using my new cell phone to help me stay on track

FroGpants
12-14-10, 04:58 PM
I was due for an upgrade and I finally caved and got a smartphone (this time of the year I got one for $30 - coulda had it for a penny a week later). Anyway having a smart phone isn't necessary (my old phone had a place for notes and stuff too) but it DOES make it a LOT more fun (which means I'm much more likely to do it) to make notes and keep info i need to remember.

I've already started using the Notepad on it. And btw I didn't know anything about these things but was able to figure the phone out almost completely by myself with just playing with the stuff on it. I did stop in at the at&t store to ask a question and I did have to consult yahoo answers. I was just thinking, wow, if *I* can figure this thing out... :)

I was shopping with my bf who was pointing out specific things he wants so I took pics of them. I usually write it down then forget I have the list or write it down wrong, get the wrong thing. Or he already knows what he's going to get bc it's the obvious stuff like xbox games.

Anyway, I'm sure many of you have already tried this route or are using it now. I was using just a dry erase board and post it notes but so far this has been way more fun and I'm almost always able to remember my phone bc I've drilled it into my head to never walk out of my house without my keys and my phone. Usually works :cool: I know a lot of you forget your phones (my bf does ALL the time) but he's going to upgrade to a smartphone too so maybe that'll help him remember :)

EshkaronsEngine
12-14-10, 06:24 PM
I just gotta say I rule the world with my DROID.;)

FroGpants
12-16-10, 02:09 PM
I just gotta say I rule the world with my DROID.;)

hahha :cool:

Yea, I got the Torch only because it was so cheap!

FroGpants
12-16-10, 02:21 PM
CAUTION

It just occurred to me that you can end up with a really high bill if you're not careful! I signed up for a data plan (internet) but at&t didn't have it on my account when my phone was delivered to the house. UNBEKNOWNST to me. So the next morning I had a ton of emails from at&t that I had exceeded my data usage-I had barely even used it!

IT WAS ONLY BECAUSE I'M ON MEDS that I took care of it right away. I called and they corrected my account. Otherwise they would have tacked another $125 to my bill :eek:. And that would have been either yet another fire to put out or another financial burden I inadvertantly created.

I'm also being ocd about what's free and what I have to pay for. Like apps. And I have an icon on my desktop now for data usage so I can make sure I don't go over what my plan allows for.

Just throwin that out there...

Velvetdragon
12-16-10, 03:29 PM
OMG I'm with Esh. I am so full of love for my Droid. And like you, Frogpants, I use my phone for organization.

Droid uses Google Maps, and I can't tell you how many times it's kept me from getting lost. I'm actually more confident of going out now that I have it, with GPS and walking directions I can see on the screen as I walk. This has DEFINITELY changed my life for the better.

I use the notifications and alarm systems synced with Google Calendar to remind me of events, it's very useful. If I remember to look at the notifications..........

I take tons of notes in Notepad... and then forget to look at them. *cough* Maybe I should open that up now.

Astrid task manager is a good app by the way, because the reminders are SUPER insistent. Like if you don't do it, it'll pop up again, "Don't you think it's time to get started?" Of course, I just get intimidated by it and uninstall it once in a while.... Hahaha. It's a free app. I recommend it.

Okay, so it doesn't make everything magically better, but I love it so much. :) Hahaha.

FroGpants
12-16-10, 04:21 PM
OMG I'm with Esh. I am so full of love for my Droid. And like you, Frogpants, I use my phone for organization.

Droid uses Google Maps, and I can't tell you how many times it's kept me from getting lost. I'm actually more confident of going out now that I have it, with GPS and walking directions I can see on the screen as I walk. This has DEFINITELY changed my life for the better.

I use the notifications and alarm systems synced with Google Calendar to remind me of events, it's very useful. If I remember to look at the notifications..........

I take tons of notes in Notepad... and then forget to look at them. *cough* Maybe I should open that up now.

Astrid task manager is a good app by the way, because the reminders are SUPER insistent. Like if you don't do it, it'll pop up again, "Don't you think it's time to get started?" Of course, I just get intimidated by it and uninstall it once in a while.... Hahaha. It's a free app. I recommend it.

Okay, so it doesn't make everything magically better, but I love it so much. :) Hahaha.

Thanks for the helpful tips!

I've got to get the gps thing figured out on my phone. I mean like the one I started to use that came with it, they said they charge for it. I suppose I can use mapquest. I'll have to figure that one out. I'd feel a lot better too. I'm used to mapquesting (and printing) before I leave the house. Oh yea, I have a TomTom but I lost the cord to plug it in :cool: Never have gotten a new one...

Google calendar. Ok I just signed up for it.

Gonna check out the task manager.

Yea, right now I'd of been thrilled with any smartphone. I loved the Torch until I played with the iphone 4. It's got a faster processor :cool: I have no idea what the Droid is like.

I do love this new way of keeping up with things :)