View Full Version : ADHD Med + SSRI or BENZO?

cbnj
12-15-10, 11:46 PM
Approximately 6-months ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease. One of the wonderful (sarcasm) byproducts of Celiac, as an autoimmune condition, is highly heightened anxiety, as well as depression. I think it definitely effects one's emotional health.

Anyhow, about 6-months prior to the diagnosis, I had had enough, and asked by primary doc for an anti-anxiety medication. He surprisingly prescribed Xanax...which was great. I was very cautious, and even took considerably less than what was prescribed for me. I'm a curious person though and having never taken meds, was curious what else might help my anxiety, partly which I believed was the result of an overactive brain. Then, after a series of tests with a Neuro -- ADHD-PI --, I was prescribed Adderall...voila! This was very good in many ways, and had a surprisingly calming effect. I took the addys for approximately 3-months with minimal side effects, other than some increased reflux, which I'm trying to manage. Anyhow, I'm curious what others are taking for ADHD + Anxiety...and a sprinkling of OCD, likely exacerbated by ADHD meds.

For example: Would a methylphenidate be better option for reflux vs. an amphetamine? I took Vyvanse for 2-days, but it seemed to greatly exacerbate the reflux, so I stopped. Maybe I didn't give it enough time.

And, as for the SSRI, I am in week 1 of Lexapro (perceived least side effects) and will eventually add Adderall or some other stimulant. I'm curious though what other SSRIs others have successfully taken with a stimulant...as well as successful pairing of stimulants with benzos? All stories welcome -- thanks!

425runner
12-17-10, 07:56 AM
Hi there -

I was dg. with a celiac disease 2 months ago and believe me it's no fun adjusting to new diet, eliminating foods you can't have, paying extra attention to everything...I'm also suffering from anxiety, brought on by various medical conditions and chronic pain, take Klonopin 1mg/day and it works wonders for me.

I've tried SSRI's but always had a bad reaction to them. Now on Wellbutrin XL 150 and doing well.

It's funny you mentioned it, I got ADD-PI and the Adderall makes me more calm as well. I expected some kind of a high or something...but no. It changed my life for the better.

hollywood
12-17-10, 04:14 PM
I take concerta or ritalin , I had a good reaction to adderall once but it's hard to adjust and get used to it as I'm not sure if it helps me focus as good. I'm not sure, I think it lasted longer though, can't remember. I take my stims with wellbutrin 300xl and it works good. I have not had good reactions to ssri's either but due to some repetitve emotional responsed that have gone on for too long I'm trying lexapro at 2.5mg at night with my meds... Not sure , kind of feel less focused and more tired lately although my mind is not wandering or ruminating on negative thoughts which actually is a good thing. Problem is that I'm not as focused. I hope it fades and that I adjust.

Velvetdragon
12-18-10, 03:09 AM
A couple medications I've been on have given me INSANE reflux. In fact, so serious I have a permanently damaged esophagus (I can't feel heartburn any more, it just feels like pressure). I was on my hands and knees trying to sleep that way, and crying.

Have you considered talking to your doc about some anti-reflux medications? Prilosec was amazing for me when I was on the reflux-causing medication. It was prescription only at that point. There are several prescription options and many OTC options now.

Yellow
01-14-11, 11:54 AM
zoloft and dex works, pristiq and dex works, but gotta be careful for serotonin syndrome, so if your anxiety is paralyzing a benzo would be better anyway

anxiousguy26
01-14-11, 11:01 PM
I've posted before but I'm on adderall 10 mg twice a day (adhd), zoloft (deprression/anxiety), and klonpin (1 mg / .5 mg as needed) for social anxiety disorder/panic

hollywood
01-15-11, 02:42 AM
Celexa?

davoidone
02-12-11, 04:31 PM
I take Vyvanse 70 mg once a day in the AM. I take Klonopin .5mg 3X/day and Remeron at
bedtime. Only complaint I have since being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD at age 43 is the
Vyvanse can be inconsistent from day to day. Somedays I am very focused to hyper-
focused and other days I am quiet and feel unmotivated. All in all I think the combinatiion
works well and is a life saver. I have battled depression and an Anxiety/Panic disorder
for over 25 years or more. I finally feel at peace.