View Full Version : Soul

crackerbelly
12-17-10, 01:05 PM
I have difficulty with defining my soul and wonder how or if you have pondered the question, do I have a soul and if so, what is it?

I am agnostic on this question. Sometimes I believe that my soul is simply my ego refusing to accept that there will be an end. Then at other times, I can see that in humans there is a capacity for transcending the experience of being a mammal....we can become something more....better and worse.

What happens when my neurons are no longer firing? What will continue to carry my identity, my being, my ability to create? I have trouble imagining it.

Abi
12-17-10, 03:08 PM
I don't believe in the existence of a soul, by any reasonable conventional definition of the term.

There is no compelling evidence to suggest "transcendence", nor to suggest that any part of our "identity" survives after our "neurons stop firing".

EshkaronsEngine
12-17-10, 04:40 PM
I believe in the preeminence of consciousness. Before there was anything I believe there was this great consciousness. I believe that it took billions of years to develop into us. Once we die I believe we return to this Great Consciousness and begin again. So I do believe in reincarnation.

Bluerose
12-20-10, 10:38 AM
I’m not a religious person. For me the soul is the very core of me, the essence of me, the very best part of me. I don’t associate it with the ego at all. The ego for me is like a demanding child - it wants. The soul serves - gives, fulfils, protects.

Bluerose
12-20-10, 12:47 PM
Before there was anything I believe there was this great consciousness.

Once we die I believe we return to this Great Consciousness and begin again.

I tend to go along with that. But we may not be talking about the same thing. I tend to go along with the idea that we are our own creators. We are consciousness and we thought ourselves into existence. I make no apology for how that may sound. I struggle to find the words to explain so much of the stuff that goes through my head.

I tend to go along with the idea that we are creating our own reality, personally and collectively, from our thoughts, our actions, and our expectations. This for me is the all important reason for us to become mindful of our thoughts. We must stop thinking and worrying about the bad stuff that might never happen and start building a world that we would ALL be happy to live in. We are either heading for extinction or Utopia - and we are creating the answer everyday.

Sorry, soapbox moment there.

Bluerose
12-20-10, 12:56 PM
I don't believe in the existence of a soul, by any reasonable conventional definition of the term.

There is no compelling evidence to suggest "transcendence", nor to suggest that any part of our "identity" survives after our "neurons stop firing".

I try not to believe anything either. I prefer playing with rambling thoughts. Once you believe something, you're stuck.

Bluerose
12-20-10, 03:07 PM
What happens when my neurons are no longer firing? What will continue to carry my identity, my being, my ability to create? I have trouble imagining it.

This will no doubt make some people here groan, but here's what I think.

Imagine you are a visitor from another planet who has been allowed to occupy a body here on Earth just for the experience of doing so. Now imagine you can visit as often as you like, occupying a different body each time. For whatever reason, the body dies and you go back home. You wouldn't exactly carry with you all those identities, all those beings, all that creativity. But you would carry the experience. The experience I speak of is that which we get from painting a picture - not from the picture but from doing the painting. I just thought of something else. There's a question mark over why a man gets up at five am on a cold morning to go fishing. He's just going to sit on the riverbank for five or six hours, catch a few fish and throw them back. Come tea time he'll pack up and go home with no fish but happy for having the experience.

Does that make any sense?

Some people like to think of themselves as an earthly being having a spiritual experience, and some like to think of themselves as a spiritual being having an earthly experience.

All said and done, I think you just have to trust that all the pieces of the puzzle do fit together.

Real faith is knowing that no matter what happens you will be okay.

And the only prayer you need ever utter is “Thank you”.

EshkaronsEngine
12-20-10, 03:23 PM
If nothing else the soul is LOVE. I dearly love peripatetic and have this sort of soul thing going on where I can sense her even though she is a thousand miles away. I believe I have contact with her soul during times of intense love. We have a fellowship of soul and the more people I love the greater my soul becomes. Indeed I believe in the GREAT SOUL whereby we all share:p

sarek
12-20-10, 03:24 PM
You are part of everything and everything is part of you. Defining yourself as separate from the world is the true illusion.

Scooter77
12-20-10, 05:25 PM
Energy doesnt begin or end, it merely changes in form.
Science isn't particularly romantic but I base my ideas on that.