View Full Version : What happens during and ADD evaluation?

wikitiki10
12-19-10, 11:36 PM
Hi, I'm Sean and i'm 16.

Goin on the 29th
Told my mom ( a nurse ) I am always low on motivation and can't focus in school/easily distracted/lose things all the time/never do homework/ procrastinate till literally the very last minute when the teacher collects HW and she told me I was a normal teenage boy that needs to tell himself to get motivated/ it's all in your head.

Well I took her advice ( like a year ago ) and it still hasn't helped. Not good for an asian. So she scheduled an appointment with my doc and told me to tell him "I would like to get screened for ADD". However, I don't know what to say or if it's the right thing to say. He might see me as someone looking for drugs or something. Do I just tell him my symptoms or something? or say I think I have ADD... he says why then tell why.

To anyone who has ADD, what would be the best thing to say?

WhoaaaaaI'mADD
12-19-10, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I had like 4 appointments with a psych. We talked about family life, school life, etc. etc. I took a test-type thing with how I would rate certain statements based on how they described me.

It's not something you need to feel pressure over. I told her, after she asked, that I had tried medication before and what its effects were (calmer, better memory, more focus and more drive to finish things) and this helped a lot for my diagnosis.

Just say "I've been thinking about it and researching a lot, and I think I might have ADD". They'll know what to do from there.

wikitiki10
12-20-10, 05:05 AM
I'm just thinking whether or not I actually have it or if I'm just a normal teenage boy that just needs to discipline himself... but that is my problem. I can't discipline myself to do homework, clean my room, do my laundry, pay attention, etc.

I'm just kinda scared my doc wont take me seriously and feel like I waste his time

bof00
12-20-10, 10:27 AM
I share the same concern. I'm 29, and was never diagnosed when young - appointment is tomorrow. I had all the same problems at your age, and I did LOTS of reading and trying to discipline and motivate myself and it's somewhat better but no where near people my age. Others my age have not worked on those things and can do those things naturally.

So, if you feel you are trying hard to even start to do those but never get to actually doing them, I wouldn't say that's normal and lazy. I think people without ADD/ADHD know they're not even trying when not getting anything done.

wikitiki10
12-20-10, 02:45 PM
glad to see someone with the same problems. I've tried googling different ways to get motivated like the reward system, doing a little at a time, even NLP. Nothing has worked unless I drink like 4 cups of coffee. and that only helps a little. It's weird that it makes me sleepy too. Isn't it supposed to keep me awake?

Anyways, tell me how it goes alright?