View Full Version : Good way to ask doctor for increased dosage?

Collegestudent4
12-20-10, 03:20 PM
Hi all , new to the forums here, I am currently taking 30 mg of vyvanse for ADHD and it was fine in the beginner but now Im noticing that its wearing off halfway through my day, it will be working through my classes but when it gets past about 7 hours after taking the meds they stop working and I need it to still be working for when Im studying/doing homework in college. A friend of mine who also has ADHD takes a 70mg vyvanse in the morning and a 30 mg vyvanse when that starts to wear off later in the afternoon, she also has a 10 mg Adderall IR that she takes if she needs an extra kick, Im just wondering what a good way to ask my doctor for something like that might be. I know the meds are wearing off and after hearing how shes doing with her current set up I am wanting to get something like that to try out. I dont want to just flat out ask my doctor "Hey i know someone with blah blah blah can you prescribe me it" because I dont want it to seem like drug seeking behavior I really need a higher dose to be able to focus on anything and just dont know a good way of asking.

jjwalters
12-20-10, 09:52 PM
Just tell the Dr. what you just told us, except for the parts about your friends. A good Dr. should recognize the need for a second dose later in the day.

You can also try to eat more, smaller meals; always with some type of protein, that's helped me immensely.

I typically take 60mg vyvanse around 7am, eat at 8am, split lunch into two meals at 11am and 2pm, take a second 60mg around 12, have some kind of protein (nuts, snack bar) around 4 - 4:30 pm, and then dinner around 7.

anonymouslyadd
12-20-10, 10:08 PM
Im noticing that its wearing off halfway through my day, it will be working through my classes but when it gets past about 7 hours after taking the meds they stop working and I need it to still be working for when Im studying/doing homework in college

I believe what you said above is the perfect lead into how you can ask your doctor for an increase in dosage. Tell him you feel that you NEED a larger dose to aid in your studying.

I asked for an extra 10mg of Adderall from my nurse practitioner (up from 20mg). He was fine with that, and I got what I wanted. It's a little unnerving to ask someone for a med increase. I was wondering if he would say no or not, but he complied.

Hope this helps!

Proletariat
12-29-10, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I just asked mine at my last med check, which was a week or two ago. I was asked how things were going, and I just said that I've noticed it not lasting as long as it used to when I first started on it, work days are harder to get through etc. What the doc suggested as the increase was what I was hoping for. If it wasn't, I was just going to say "well, I'd really like to try x dosage for a while". The doc even said that if it didn't seem like enough to give the office a call, so.. I have a good doc, too bad I'm leaving that office because the office staff is such ****e.

Mignon
12-29-10, 03:40 PM
Good way to ask doctor for increased dosage?

heartfelt interpretive dance

Illiterati
12-29-10, 04:14 PM
I'll note here that you also avoid using the word "extra kick", as there are college students out there using their adderall (and related meds) in order to cram for classes/exams.

From what I can see online in regard to Vyvanse, doctors will commonly start you at 30mg and go from there. Your doctor may well be seeing how you settle into taking it.

Canuck223
12-29-10, 05:30 PM
Mine is cautious. I started on 20mg Adderall, then was bumped up to 25mg for the second month. Last month I told her I didn't really feel I needed an increase in dosage, as I felt the RX was effective in the mornings, it just doesn't stay effective long enough. I mentioned that since I work days, on most days I could cope, but wondered how I'd fare with afternoon meetings.

She kept me at 25mg, and added a 5mg Dex booster at noon if I feel I need it.

If your goal isn't a cheap high, but rather a longer duration of effective meds, my suggestion is to stress that point.

Your doctor may choose to increase you to 50mg of Vyvanse and review it later, before going to a booster or second vyvanse

Illiterati
12-29-10, 05:37 PM
My doctor asked me if I was starting to feel as though I was starting to crash and/or hungry in the early afternoon.

When I said yes, that's when he suggested the 40/20 split. It works just fine for me, and it helps me head down a bit so I can sleep at night. :)