View Full Version : Switching from Ativan to Klonopin to taper off?

LaVieEnRose
12-21-10, 07:25 PM
I called my doctor asking if I could try Valium to ease my withdrawal of Ativan. He said he'd prescribe "Klonopin, which has a longer half life" than Ativan. Will that help or would I be taking something harder to get off?

He also said 1mg Ativan = 1mg Klonopin. From what I've been told and read, that's not true.. From what I understand it's 1mg Ativan = .5mg Klonopin.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Aspie101
01-08-11, 05:46 PM
Not the best choice by your doctor..valium would be better since 1MG of Lorazepam = 10MG of Diazepam thus you can play with the dose easier...Klonopin would theoretically work the same but instead of reducing the dose by like 2MG or so you would have to reduce it by like 0.1MG given Klonopin is so damn potent. Diazepam and Chlordiazepoxide are the best choice for tapering.

Abi
01-08-11, 05:59 PM
1mg Ativan = 0.5 mg Klonopin, more or less. You are correct, lurve. :)

My concern with Diazepam (Valium) is that it's half like varies significantly from person to person. Also, when I was on Valium, I was VERY erratic. (Though this is purely anecdotal evidence ;))

My opinion stands... stick to the drug you are taking, tapering by 0.25 mg a week.

Yellow
01-14-11, 11:53 AM
valium would be the best choice as mentioned

Jester
01-23-11, 10:34 AM
1mg Ativan = 0.5 mg Klonopin, more or less. You are correct, lurve. :)

My concern with Diazepam (Valium) is that it's half like varies significantly from person to person. Also, when I was on Valium, I was VERY erratic. (Though this is purely anecdotal evidence ;))

My opinion stands... stick to the drug you are taking, tapering by 0.25 mg a week.

This. High variation but in general it will last longer than Klonopin.