View Full Version : Lamictal Induced Mania

That1WierdGirl
12-22-10, 03:21 AM
Thinking that I had Bipolar disorder *cough*I don't match any of the criteria*cough* my pdoc put me on Lamictal.

At 25mg, which I took for 2 weeks there were no effects.

At 50mg which I took for another two weeks I started to feel what I thought was more confident at the time - though looking back I can see that I was just more confrontational.

At 100mg I started having mania symptoms. I had never had feelings like this before and even though it felt really good it scared me because it was so strange to me. Among other things I was sleeping an average of 3 hours a night and feeling completely refreshed the next day. My PDoc had me discontinue the medication due to the sleep I was loosing on it.

aarondev
12-22-10, 05:11 AM
Erm.

Your pdoc doesn't really sound so sound. I mean, first of all Lamotrigine is supposed to be typically tapered just for the risk of SJS. This is at least what I'm getting from Columbia-Presbyterian.

In any case, there are other mood stabilizers out there. I'm kind of surprised she didn't recommend merely trying to take a sleeping pill, but I'm not an M.D. so I'm sure there's a reasoning to it.

Did the Lamictal assist at all with mood symptoms before you started to get full blown mania symptoms? And did it assist at all with any ADHD symptoms?

daveddd
12-22-10, 09:25 AM
mania is a symptom of bipolar

and that is the typical tapering routine

That1WierdGirl
12-22-10, 04:14 PM
All it really did was make me more likely to tell people off. I actually think it increased my irritability too. I emphasize again that I had never experienced that elevated of a mood before being on the medication. Actually come to think of it it would have been hypomania because it only lasted a few days and not several months. Yes Mania (or hypomania) is a sign of bipolar disorder but not if drugs have to be used to induce it. The DSM IV clearly states:

"Episodes of Substance-Induced Mood Disorder (due to the direct effects of a medication, or other somatic treatments for depression, a drug of abuse, or toxin exposure) or of Mood Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition do not count toward a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder."
http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/psychology/781/dsm.htm
http://www.mental-health-today.com/bp/bi1.htm
http://www.bipolarworld.net/Bipolar%20Disorder/Diagnosis/dsmv.htm
(all three of those sources use the exact same wording which they claim to be copied directly from the DSM IV and I could probably find more.)

((I'm not doctor either but I know how to do my research ;) - oh no wait I mean I'm obsessed with doing research ... no wonder some people think my co-morbid condition might be Asbergers))

It certainly did not help with the adhd symptoms. The mania gave me so much energy that I was actually more hyper than usual. One day I spent most of the time opening and closing the fridge door because I couldn't stop myself. Yeah I'm used to impulsive urges but not to that extreme of a degree. And I was just as inattentive as I usually am.

From what I understand the main reason for her taking me off it was the increased insomnia.

I will confess to having self medicated with hot chocolate at night once or twice while on the drug just so that I could calm myself down enough to go to bed and fall asleep. (chocolate is the only way I consume caffeine since I don't drink coffee and have eliminated all soda from my diet). Unfortunately that usually only lasted 2 hrs.

After she took me off the Lamictal I asked my pdoc if it would be safe to take Omega 3 fish oil with the Stratera that I was on at the time and am still on. She said not only was it safe but she highly recommended it. I like it much better than the Lamictal. I'll be putting in my experience with it too probably.

aarondev
12-28-10, 05:15 AM
I see.

I wouldn't go self-diagnosing just yet. That trait is common for people with OCD, too. And as I understand it the defining characteristic of Asperger's is one's inability to pickup on subtle body language & voice inflections to cue behaviiour. Is that the case with you, too?

Plus, lots of research is very common for people to do a lot of when they come across their diagnosis.

Thanks for the links for the DSM. I actually found it really helpful what you said since I'd been shying away from research on that diagnosis (of myself) since I disagreed with it so much.

May I ask what your experience is of the Strattera so far? Also, can you elaborate about the specifics of how the Omega-3 is having a beneficial effect and how you're 'enjoying it more'? Lastly, how often do you take it - every meal or just at night or..?

Thanks!

That1WierdGirl
02-15-11, 09:06 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back on this - I had forgotten about the thread *sheepish look* Now let me see if I can remember...

I wouldn't go self-diagnosing just yet. That trait is common for people with OCD, too. And as I understand it the defining characteristic of Asperger's is one's inability to pickup on subtle body language & voice inflections to cue behaviiour. Is that the case with you, too?

I would have to say yes. For example I am told that I intimidate people because of my inability to do small talk but I am unable to see this in them myself.

Plus, lots of research is very common for people to do a lot of when they come across their diagnosis.

I research EVERYTHING. Random moments of curiosity pop into my head and I find myself unable to control the urge to research the strangest things....

Thanks for the links for the DSM. I actually found it really helpful what you said since I'd been shying away from research on that diagnosis (of myself) since I disagreed with it so much.

No problem. I believe in being an empowered patient but then again I grew up in a time and place where every boy had ADHD and every girl had depression no matter what your symptoms were. So I learned to be wary of rushed a diagnoses. I also don't think the doctor expected me to do research but to take their word for it.

May I ask what your experience is of the Strattera so far? Also, can you elaborate about the specifics of how the Omega-3 is having a beneficial effect and how you're 'enjoying it more'? Lastly, how often do you take it - every meal or just at night or..?

The Strattera worked too well. Imagine only being able to cognate one very minor concept at a time, not be able to multitask and not be able to brainstorm. At least it took away my hyperactivity.

The Fish Oil continues to help it balances my moods a little but not extremely. It has actually increased my appetite (which countered Strattera's tendency to reduce it) and strangely enough has me craving healthy foods. It also increases my energy.

I find taking it at breakfast, in the middle of the meal is best, I also take a multivitamin along side it and I freeze (note they don't actually freeze solid because of their chemical makeup) my fish oil capsules to help prevent taking on a fishy smell.

Hope that helped - even if it was a few months late ;)

Imitationofself
12-10-11, 02:44 PM
Yeah dude, that happened to me when I started Lamictal. Nice, smooth, euphoric hypomania. It happens to a lot of people and it's usually harmless.

Unfortunately, it doesn't last.

Macavity224
12-15-11, 06:54 AM
Dude the same thing is happening to me. I've been on 25mg for 2 weeks, starting 50mg for 2 weeks today, and I've never felt more WIRED in my life. I'm sleeping about half as much as normal, like you said 2-3 hours a night, have a ton of energy in the day, and have an unnatural mood boost, like the kind you get when you drink like four cups of coffee in a row. The worst side effect so far is the nausea though. Do you experience that? And if so, how do you get rid of it?