View Full Version : Christmas Breakfast - read it and weep!

Amtram
12-24-10, 10:09 PM
This is our family tradition, the heck with counting calories for one day!

Creme Brulee French Toast

2 Tbsp Rice Syrup
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 baguette, cut in 1 inch thick slices
1 1/2 cups half and half
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt

Place the syrup, butter, and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and let cook for 5 minutes. Pour this syrup into a 9x13 pan and spread evenly over the bottom.

Put the bread slices over the syrup.

Mix the half and half, eggs, vanilla, and salt until well mixed. Pour this over the bread, making sure all the bread is covered by the custard on top.

Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, until the custard is set and a knife stuck into it comes out clean.

Lunacie
12-24-10, 10:15 PM
That sounds simply scrumptuous! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

It's only me tonight and tomorrow morning. We had our par-tay on the Winter Solstice. The grandkids are going with their father to visit his family. My daughter is at her fiance's house for the weekend. When everyone gets home again mid-week I'll have to fix this for them and wow them all. :)

Sandy4957
12-24-10, 10:33 PM
Deadly.

I make a similar French toast. Soaking it overnight really makes it custardy. YUM!

peripatetic
12-24-10, 11:01 PM
amtram,

i REALLY want this tomorrow morning!! i have all of those ingredients except rice syrup...which, actually, i don't think i even knew such a thing existed until your recipe caught my eye:confused:

is there a substitute? i have maple syrup, molasses, honey...?? there's zero chance i'll go shopping so procuring actual rice syrup is out of the question (i had to do the last-minute sprint from 4:30-6:00PM today as hadn't purchased a single gift...:o while i'm grateful to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of shops and liquor store open until 6:00, if forced to engage even one more human in person...my partner's holiday will be ruined by bailing me out of jail).

Lunacie
12-24-10, 11:57 PM
amtram,

i REALLY want this tomorrow morning!! i have all of those ingredients except rice syrup...which, actually, i don't think i even knew such a thing existed until your recipe caught my eye:confused:

is there a substitute? i have maple syrup, molasses, honey...?? there's zero chance i'll go shopping so procuring actual rice syrup is out of the question (i had to do the last-minute sprint from 4:30-6:00PM today as hadn't purchased a single gift...:o while i'm grateful to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of shops and liquor store open until 6:00, if forced to engage even one more human in person...my partner's holiday will be ruined by bailing me out of jail).

I don't have any rice syrup either. Like you, I'd never even heard of it although I've heard of Rice Dream (milk). I figure I'll give it a try with maple syrup (artificially flavored because that's all I can afford).

Don't go out shopping again, try the syrup or honey that you have on hand, and please let me know how it works out for you.

Sandy4957
12-25-10, 01:25 AM
Peri,

In my experience, any syrup will do. Honey, too. It's just two tablespoons. This isn't the type of recipe that requires precision. If you don't have half and half, but do have heavy cream or whatever, I'd substitute a little heavy cream into whole milk. This is one recipe that benefits from having the fat.

Have fun!!!! ;-)

I'll PM you with my email address and feel free to email me if you have questions.

peripatetic
12-25-10, 02:53 AM
sandy,

you are AWESOME!!! cheers to you and happy holidays:D

Amtram
12-25-10, 10:39 AM
The original recipe called for corn syrup, but since corn syrup now contains high fructose corn syrup (say what?!?!?) and hubby and I are sensitive to it, I switched to rice syrup.

The syrup helps to thicken the mixture a bit. I'd imagine you could probably even leave it out.

I'm eating this now, and it is heavenly!

Lunacie
12-25-10, 11:56 AM
The original recipe called for corn syrup, but since corn syrup now contains high fructose corn syrup (say what?!?!?) and hubby and I are sensitive to it, I switched to rice syrup.

The syrup helps to thicken the mixture a bit. I'd imagine you could probably even leave it out.

I'm eating this now, and it is heavenly!

I love the confusion about renaming corn sugar products, which is exactly what the corn industry was aiming for. My dad was sensitive to it as well, and even back in the 60's had a terrible time finding food that didn't include corn, usually as a sweetener. It's been added to even more processed foods since then.

Honey would be great for thickening purposes.

Sandy4957
12-25-10, 03:54 PM
I just discovered this morning that Welch's grape juice concentrate is now a "Grape Cocktail" with corn syrup. WTF? Grapes aren't sweet enough for us????!!!

Look, if I want a "cocktail" in the morning, it's got vodka in it, and it ain't sweet, know whumsayin'?

peripatetic
12-25-10, 04:29 PM
will give more details later as did make some substitutions, but must say before eating another piece...

AMTRAM IS BRUNCH QUEEN:D:D:D DELICIOUS!!!

Amtram
12-25-10, 05:20 PM
Heh. We're big-time foodies here. If I share a recipe, you know it's gonna be good.