View Full Version : Want/need to Lose Weight poll

healthwiz
05-08-03, 04:01 PM
Do you want/need to lose weight, gain weight, or is your weight just where you want it to be?

misclee
05-08-03, 04:20 PM
I really need to lose at least 10 lbs...15 better....20 would be a dream. The only way I really lose weight is by running...but I do it for awhile, then quit. My weight has always fluctuated within about a 10 lb range. I will lose it once or twice a year, then spend the rest of the year beating myself up. Once I lose it, I feel like rewarding myself with junk...then before you know it......blooooOOOOP.....I'm at maximum density again. I've tried diet pills like Redux and Phentermine, which worked well....but are too dangerous. Why does all the good stuff have to be fattening. I am all about excess.....putting limits on me only makes me rebel! And who pays??? Yours truly.

healthwiz
05-08-03, 04:30 PM
At one time I was at 182. Most recently I was at a high of 177, when I decided it was time to lose weight again. I want to be at 140. So far I am at 169 in my first 11 days of cooking. Thats right, not dieting, cooking.

I am meal planning a week at a time, one grocery trip to the store, and one gigantic grocery list compiled from the recipes I choose for the week. I keep a book now of all the meals we will be eating, and all the recipes follow after the meal plan for the week.

Breakfasts start out with fresh baked oatbran muffins or blueberry muffins somedays. They are not as hard as I thought to bake, and I never baked before. Other days, a nice fruity smoothie is made, low in fat and delicious, from bananas, or berries, orange juice, yogurt, vanilla, --there are many varieties.

Snacks are no longer the junk food of grocery store shelves - no more doritoes or chips or crackers or all that junk. Now we blend up a Cherry Slushie made of real cherries (frozen) and ice, and a few other ingredients, low fat and not too bad on calories, and delicious and refreshing from this Florida heat.

Dinners are full meals. Having cooked and served a 4 lb Sirloin Pork Roast, honey and pepper glazed, and had it come out low in fat grams and delicious, was a great meal, and I never cooked a roast in my life. We all only ate one serving too, as it was filling. The left overs were all sliced and indiv packaged in foil for future meals.

Sandwiches are no longer made with yucky sandwich meats, but mostly with combinations of veggies and fruits. Fat free mayo always. Fat free honey mustard always.

Anyhow, just a few days of meal planning, the second week is not even over yet, and the grocery bill is down, the fast food bill is almost non-existent, and the pounds are coming off, and I'm never hungry.

Jon

misclee
05-08-03, 04:36 PM
Wow, that sounds great. Maybe you could post some of those recipes?

healthwiz
05-08-03, 05:13 PM
Yes, trying to start a low fat dish recipe list over in creative endeavors/recipes. Will post some later or in next few days.

Jon

sixes
05-09-03, 09:32 AM
oops. i meant to check the 10 to 19 #'s. I would look like a starving cow if i lost any more than that. 15#'s would be great with me as long as 1/2 of it was boobs. (Can I say boob here?) hehehe

Energizer_Bunny
05-14-03, 06:36 PM
Well, I started back on Atkins diet again yesterday. The first time I did it I lost 42 pounds and in a year gained back less than 20. I know a lot of people dont' approve of it, but it works. But this time I promise that once the weight comes off, I am going to a much healtheir diet than before. I have also started walking and toning. I have bye bye arms. They wiggle when you wave bye bye.

joanrdtobe
05-28-03, 07:42 PM
Wow -- 40% of us would like to lose 50 pounds or more??? Not surprising....that's pretty much the state of the whole U.S.:(

Keppig
05-28-03, 07:53 PM
I'm on Atkins too! I used to weight 350 now I'm 280 still going down. Its taken me over two years (I started August 2001) but at least I am not getting bigger. For those not familiar with Atkins, its a low carb diet with moderate, not high protein. Fat makes up the carb absense. I eat a variety of meat, olive, coconut, and seaseme oils, Berries, all kinds of veggies, I don't eat dairy, tomatoes, cheese, oranges, wheat, chocolate, and eggs.. food allergies.

I've been big all my life so I have no idea how it would feel to be smaller. My parents have tried to put me on a diet since I was 8 years old. I'm the oldest of 4 sisters and the only one who wasn't born petite. I've been keeping my weight loss to my parents and sisters a secret. I just can't handle the critasizm. If you know what I mean.

Kelly
08-11-03, 12:59 PM
I've been on Weight Watchers twice in the past 2 years. The first try - I lost 30# (Online), the 2nd - I lost 6#(Meetings). For some reason, I can't get back in the WW Online state of mind.

My husband is now the weight he was 6 years ago. I'm back up to my heightest weight (283 *bleah*). It's so sad that I weight about 20lbs more than my hubby (altho my 6-foot-talledness and boobs account for some of that ;)

We're going back to the WW meetings tomorrow night, together and we're going gung-ho on the gym - atleast 30 minutes every day except Wednesdays.

Let's hope it sticks this time.

Side note: Eating a Low-fat Tuna sandwich on Focacia bread while surfing and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish. WOO HOO!

joanrdtobe
08-11-03, 01:30 PM
Kelly: Good luck and congrats for having the courage to try again...it will stick this time because you want it to stick.....Why not check in here on this thread occasionally and share your progress? The tuna on Focacia sounds great....Would you please make me one??:)

Keppig
08-12-03, 05:49 PM
Hi, I've lost 5 more pounds since the last time I posted. Still low carbing. My roommate is doing it too. :wave:

joanrdtobe
08-12-03, 06:53 PM
That's great Kassie....I'm really happy for you....I know how hard it can be...so I admire your commitment.....since the end of May, wow!:)

Kelly
08-12-03, 08:14 PM
Woo - first WW meeting tonight. We prepaid for the next 17 weeks, so I'll be forced to go or waste a crapload of moolah.

I got their Smoothies to try for breakfast - I'm hoping that'll help with my hypoglycemia in the mornings. Woo! I'm all excited :)

I also wore my hubby's pedometer all day today - I walked 3390 steps in the past 12 hours. WOO HOO!

Keppig
08-13-03, 02:18 PM
Actually I've been low carbing for a few years now. I started at 350 and now 277... 73lbs so far. :D Thank you Joan!

joanrdtobe
08-13-03, 02:46 PM
Kelly: Awesome idea to wear pedometer to track steps taken....yum the breakfast smoothies sound great......hey if you prepay, you're committed to go....it's an incentive....:)

Kassie: 73 pounds....your clothes must be swimming on you....and you must be moving so much more easily....did you have high blood pressure before? I'll bet it's down....:)

Keppig
08-13-03, 07:00 PM
I dropped two sizes, my blood pressure wasn't really high, but its low now: 110/70 :)
Best of all my cholesteral dropped as well.

joanrdtobe
08-13-03, 07:21 PM
110/70??? PERFECTO:) Cholesterol droppped???? Even better....Keep it up....You have a really pretty smile and so you must look great, not just feel so much better.....

Keppig
08-13-03, 07:48 PM
Thank you Joan, I think you are beautiful, you must be, you say the nicest things and have a heart of gold. :)

Flyfisher
08-14-03, 12:12 AM
Joan, your middle name should be encouragement! You are so kind and helpful.

Keppig, I have been doing the Atkins for about 2 years and have lost 40 pds altogether. I back off some times and stick with the maintaining the weight amount of carbs and totally avoid sugar except for once every few months. It is great for my hypoglicemia probs.

Personally, I think the Atkin's diet gets a twisted perception. It's not all bacon and eggs. On it strict, I eat chicken, fish, meat, romaine lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, etc. and am full and have tons of energy. Off it, I eat pizza, chips, tons of bread, fast food, etc and feel like a slug.

I know a lot of people who have done great at WW as well.