View Full Version : ADD-friendly hobbies

Enigma33
12-27-10, 10:11 PM
In the new year I am going to try to take up at least one hobby. I feel that I need to get "out" of myself more and focus on some other things other than what is going on internally. I have hyper-focused on many things in the past, but those things have generally failed. I've been interested in growing African Violets, betta fish and other things, but I have failed miserably. I need to find something that does not depend on me to live!

My psychologist made a good point when it comes to hobbies and ADD- find a hobby that does not have its own schedule. Those of us with ADD don't need to worry about yet ANOTHER schedule with deadlines on top of what we already try to juggle. No fish water to change on a scheduled basis, fish to feed, plants to water, plants to repot, etc. Pick something that can be put down and picked up 6 months later, if need be. Like knitting. You can knit, and put it down for a few weeks, and there is no schedule screaming at you, or living being dying.

So, with that in mind, what are some hobbies that I could explore? I'm asking because I sometimes don't think of many options and stay too much in my comfort zone. Just as a reference, I am in the northeast, don't have much, if any, money to play with, and am not very active (though I'd like to be, but baby steps are needed!).

What are some of your hobbies or things that you would like to try? Please throw some things out here!! Thanks!!

anonymouslyadd
12-27-10, 10:19 PM
This is a good post. I have wondered about a hobby for a long time. I became very driven about school and success that i forgot about the need for a hobby. I love what your doc said about a hobby that doesn't require scheduling. You made a good point like we don't need another schedule with subsequent deadlines.

For me, it would be video games!

AbsentMindProf
12-27-10, 10:26 PM
A few random thoughts...

I would think many ADHD folks would do well at sports (sadly, I'm not one of them though).

I've always been fond of computer games.

What about creative hobbies? They say many ADHD folks are very creative.

Enigma33
12-27-10, 10:31 PM
I am not good at sports either :( I used to enjoy biking when I was younger, but never enjoyed team sports. I can't focus on video games, or television, or movies. Things like that just zap my brain.

I am creative... but get frustrated easily. But I haven't really tried anything creative since starting meds... I could try sewing, maybe.

mADD mike
12-27-10, 10:49 PM
You mentioned fish several times, how about fishing? It isn't too expensive, and I personally find it incredibly relaxing for my turbocharged brain. It really is therapeutic for me, even if I don't catch a thing. Just sitting out, enjoying a quiet lake, and appreciating the beauty around me really helps.

Another thing that I like to do is geocaching. It isn't too expensive to get started, you just need a cheap portable gps receiver. You would be shocked at how many things people have hidden all over the place. Finding them can be fun, and can really introduce you to some new places that you might otherwise not have known existed.

Photography is also fun. You don't need fancy equipment, as much of a good shot is in the eye of the one taking the photo.

As you can see, I enjoy hobbies that get me out of the house. They help my mood, get me active, etc.

Now, as far as indoor hobbies, that is something that I struggle mightily with. I hate the winter, as it really slows my hobbies to a crawl. If the weather is decent, we will do some hiking/geocaching though.

peripatetic
12-27-10, 10:57 PM
i don't know if you'd consider it a hobby, but i volunteer with my dog. we used to go to one of the hospitals here in the city, but we just finished training to do this literacy program where children who are struggling to attain basic literacy will take turns reading to him. we start that program in january. it's incredible to see people's faces light up when he walks in.

the other hobby i have is that i run trails several times a week. i ran cross country in school, too, and it's just stuck. aside from a decent pair of shoes you really don't need much in the way of equipment:)

Enigma33
12-27-10, 11:08 PM
hmm I do LOVE fishing... in the summers we get together with my husband's family and go fish for a weekend... I am the only female to go out with the guys... I just love it... That's not a bad idea, and I could go with my husband and share that time together. Do you have a boat? We don't have a boat or a car large enough to pull one so we'd have to figure that out.

I also love photography, but just haven't done much with it. Sometimes I am too anxious to GO places to take pictures, go for a walk, etc. But I think that may be different when the snow is gone and I am taking my meds. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I've heard of geocaching but have never tried or decided what I think of it. I think it would be worth and shot and I would enjoy it once I got going. I'll have to write that down too.

I did take my interest in fish and applied it to getting a job this past summer... I teach, and have summers off, so I got a job at Petco. The manager already knew me after complaining to their corporate HQ about the neglect of their fish in the fish dept. I was polite about it, but let them know what I thought of their poor care and employees. Well, apparently I didn't tick her off too much because she gave me a job last summer!! I worked my *** off there and she really liked me... but I couldn't prioritize to save my life, so the managers had to make a list of least to most important things to get done during my shift... I hadn't been diagnosed at that point. Anyway, I am totally off subject now!! Time for bed!! During the winter I could always go back there and work on the weekends if I am really bored, then start looking into hobbies in the summer.

mADD mike
12-27-10, 11:20 PM
hmm I do LOVE fishing... in the summers we get together with my husband's family and go fish for a weekend... I am the only female to go out with the guys... I just love it... That's not a bad idea, and I could go with my husband and share that time together. Do you have a boat? We don't have a boat or a car large enough to pull one so we'd have to figure that out.

I also love photography, but just haven't done much with it. Sometimes I am too anxious to GO places to take pictures, go for a walk, etc. But I think that may be different when the snow is gone and I am taking my meds. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I've heard of geocaching but have never tried or decided what I think of it. I think it would be worth and shot and I would enjoy it once I got going. I'll have to write that down too.

I did take my interest in fish and applied it to getting a job this past summer... I teach, and have summers off, so I got a job at Petco. The manager already knew me after complaining to their corporate HQ about the neglect of their fish in the fish dept. I was polite about it, but let them know what I thought of their poor care and employees. Well, apparently I didn't tick her off too much because she gave me a job last summer!! I worked my *** off there and she really liked me... but I couldn't prioritize to save my life, so the managers had to make a list of least to most important things to get done during my shift... I hadn't been diagnosed at that point. Anyway, I am totally off subject now!! Time for bed!! During the winter I could always go back there and work on the weekends if I am really bored, then start looking into hobbies in the summer.

I actually combine my love of taking photos with my fishing. My wife likes to come fishing too. We get to spend quiet time together, which is nice, away from the stresses of life. We both take our cameras, and while we're fishing or if the fish aren't biting we take off a bit and take pictures of the cool things around us. When we get home, we hook our cameras up to our computers and see what we got to look at. It is one of the more fun things that we do.

Honestly, we once went even went geocaching in an area that we knew had some ponds. We always take our cameras geocaching as well, but this time we threw in the fishing poles as well, and combined all three. It was really fun.

Hey, if you really know aquariums and fish well, and wanted to make some money with your love for those things, perhaps you could start a small business taking care of aquariums. Many people have nice setups but don't know how to take care of them, and maybe you could teach them or do it for them. Some businesses have big aquariums in waiting rooms, and you could take care of those for them. There are people that do this, and make good money for the time that they spend, plus they get to do something they love.

alan1
12-28-10, 12:00 AM
Snowboarding - When going reasonably fast, I get a clarity of thought and focus that is extraordinary. My whole self is focused on getting down the pure white stuff. It satisfies the need for adrenalin.

Summertime - Biking and kayaking. I also used to build and fly radio control airplanes from kits. They also get you to focus and provide a good thrill as the aerobatic models go in excess of 100 - 150 mph. When building, Iget into hyperfocus mode and love that. It unclutters the mind for me.

Lunacie
12-28-10, 12:27 AM
Learning to play a hand drum is awesome, even better when you can play in a Community Drum Circle. Check out some of these. (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=drum+circle&aq=f)

StoicNate
12-28-10, 03:21 AM
I don't really have a hobby either.
The internet is my hobby for now.

Rebelyell
12-28-10, 06:53 PM
Funny I usually get 1 hobby and end up turning it into 3 things at the same time.Last summer I went jet skiing fishing,swimming,reading all in the same day but then again Im just a nut:D

EshkaronsEngine
12-28-10, 07:16 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQmD1-nY5DI">the best RTS game ever</a>

learning French
playing games on smart-phone
posting on forum
chatting
making friends:p

razrbak
12-28-10, 07:27 PM
For me: find and old car and breath new life into it. A first gen Miata for example- tons out there to be had, easy to find cheap. Parts are cheap, you and the huddy could work together on a fun project that will give you a fun little covertable to get around in on those sunny summer days.
... or you could pick-up jiu-jitsu.

stef
12-29-10, 04:22 AM
crochet or knitting!
totally soothing.

anonymouslyadd
12-29-10, 07:11 AM
I teach, and have summers off, so I got a job at Petco. The manager already knew me after complaining to their corporate HQ about the neglect of their fish in the fish dept. I was polite about it, but let them know what I thought of their poor care and employees.

Kuk, this is not about a hobby and I hope you don't mind. You're petco problem story reminded me what my undiagnosed ADD mom would do! You made me laugh. Plus it worked out for you. I'm impressed at how your bosses made a list of priorities for you. They must have really liked you to put that effort into making you successful.

Enigma33
12-29-10, 10:55 AM
Kuk, this is not about a hobby and I hope you don't mind. You're petco problem story reminded me what my undiagnosed ADD mom would do! You made me laugh. Plus it worked out for you. I'm impressed at how your bosses made a list of priorities for you. They must have really liked you to put that effort into making you successful.

Yeah, I get really upset with people/companies who aren't doing their job well. That is one of my huge pet peeves and one thing that I will go out of my way to complain about. Especially when it comes to a living thing. They did really like me because I worked my butt off and was anal about details. I didn't realize at the time that I had ADD, I just knew that I couldn't look at my list of daily duties (I was stationed in the animal areas, not cash) I couldn't for the life of me decide what NEEDED to be done or what could be done IF there was time. And, since I closed the store, many of the first shift people didn't finish THEIR tasks, so I had to prioritize the crap they left for me in addition to my other duties for my shift, in addition to whatever customers needed. It was very overwhelming, and prioritizing has been my Achilles's Heal all my life. So I was very open about this and asked the manager on duty to tell me what NEEDED to be done and what could be done if there was time. Once she gave me that, I was good to go. But, had they not helped me out with that, I probably would have stood there for a good hour trying to prioritize the list, or would have been crying in the break room, overwhelmed. Now, with my meds, that disconnect of knowing I need to prioritize, and actually prioritizing has finally been fixed and I can prioritize "on the fly"! I haven't worked at Petco since I started my meds, so I'm excited to start again next summer and find out what kind of work powerhouse I can be now!! :):)

buddy
12-29-10, 04:07 PM
:)When springtime comes I get outside and garden.It's really good exercise & it's wonderful for the mind.
buddy

Firebird
12-30-10, 03:47 AM
My hobbie is motorcycles and cars, then snowboarding in the winter and downhill biking in the summer. Snowboarding has to be my biggest though, The adrenaline hit is amazing, its good exercise, and its something you can do all day and not get bored because theirs always something new to do.

But like rzrbak said theres something to be said though for picking up a cheap sports car with good potential and spending some time fixing it up. Even though I hate it when my stuff breaks, I really dont mind fixing it to much as long as I'm not rushed.

diced
12-30-10, 04:20 PM
I've taken up Judo. And I'm loving it :)
I'ts really energetic, you get to throw people around, yet nobody gets hurt

ImissATARI
12-30-10, 06:39 PM
Ugh I need a hobby! Always seems financials get in my way of what I want to do....

anonymouslyadd
12-30-10, 06:59 PM
I've taken up Judo. And I'm loving it :)
I'ts really energetic, you get to throw people around, yet nobody gets hurt

diced, is that a hobby or does it serve your exercise needs. I guess I didn't think that an exercise would fall under the realm of a hobby. Any insights?

Ugh I need a hobby! Always seems financials get in my way of what I want to do....

I, I think about that all the time. I want to purchase a tv and a play station. There was a really great deal at a store near me for a combo tv and play station for under 700 bucks, but I didn't read the circular in time. Silly me.:(

la girl
12-31-10, 01:56 AM
Maybe join a gym...and just go when you feel like it...I did and haven't been in over six months, but if I want to go again I can. I like painting...really abstract...no need to be too talented...but it can cost a little bit to get started. How about cards? There are some card games in yahoo that are really good, especially if it's against three other people or in teams...then there's always poker...but that can be really costly and if you're ocd like I am...a little addictive. You could do some research into something you would like to do, but never have, I am doing this right now...I've been researching for a year...and I just pick it up on the computer when I feel like it...sometimes get lost and forget how long I've been at it...but again, it's at my pace. I hope this was helpful.

FroGpants
12-31-10, 04:25 PM
I've been wondering about this too. I really want to move outside my comfort zone. Plus I've noticed that my brain really does feel better when I do.

Here's a few:
baking/cooking - www.allrecipes.com (http://www.allrecipes.com) Look for their 4 or 5 star rated recipes. Tons of great stuff with few/inexpensive ingredients.

photography - like others mentioned and you can play with them at www.picnik.com (http://www.picnik.com) or other sites like that. That's just the main one I liked so it was easier to remember :p Take a pic of a leaf on a tree. It gets you outside with a purpose then back in with a purpose :) And if you have a camera, it's free! Have your final product printed at walmart, walgreens or wherever cheap and frame it, collage with it, whatever. Or post them on here :)

Get a small piece of wood at Home Depot (or wherever they have leftover pieces from cuts they've done) and a container of nails, thumbtacks, whatever can be pushed into wood. Think of or draw a design (or use a template) on the wood and hammer away. GREAT stress/anger/boredom reliever. Attach a wire (or yarn or string or anything to hang) to the back and hang. Or throw away :cool: Home Depot (Lowe's?) also has a bin for incorrectly mixed paints that are really cheap.

Spray paint stuff you already have... remove hardware, cover whatever you don't want painted.

Speaking of leaves, collect them then look them up online. Personally I've always wanted to learn more about types of trees & flowers. Or take pictures of them and look them up.
Look on craigslist for free stuff. Go pick something up. Fix it up and sell it, keep it, find a charity that can use it and donate it.

Rock collecting. Did you ever do that as a kid?

Collecting anything. I used to collect Spongebob stuff back when it wasn't anywhere near as common. And I collect frogs. Not live ones though :cool: I've decided recently to collect candles. Dang things are kinda expensive so it takes some window shopping to find them on sale :)

If you're into movies, become a critic! Post reviews online. Netflix has a place for reviews too.

Some of these are things I've wanted to do but haven't started. I think I'm gonna keep a copy of this to remind me :rolleyes:

diced
01-01-11, 02:09 PM
@anonymouslyadd
I consider Judo a hobby. I enjoy the techniques used, keeps my mind busy as well. I also enjoy the exercise.
If you don't like doing exercise, it becomes a chore, it doesn't feel like a chore to me, but it does have the benefit of exercise.

tired1823
03-02-11, 11:55 PM
Maybe join a gym...and just go when you feel like it...I did and haven't been in over six months, but if I want to go again I can. I like painting...really abstract...no need to be too talented...but it can cost a little bit to get started. How about cards? There are some card games in yahoo that are really good, especially if it's against three other people or in teams...then there's always poker...but that can be really costly and if you're ocd like I am...a little addictive. You could do some research into something you would like to do, but never have, I am doing this right now...I've been researching for a year...and I just pick it up on the computer when I feel like it...sometimes get lost and forget how long I've been at it...but again, it's at my pace. I hope this was helpful.

What are you researching?

HighFunctioning
03-03-11, 12:26 AM
What about creative hobbies? They say many ADHD folks are very creative.

Digital art. It's less likely to cause clutter than non-digital art (physically, that is). One need not worry about spilling paint or other real substances. One can easily correct mistakes without starting over. 3d modelling falls into this category, which includes FPS "map" development.

In general, the hobby's friendliness will depend on the individual. Some will desire hobbies that are more physical and involve more movement than others.

maggie403
03-03-11, 01:28 AM
Another thing that I like to do is geocaching. It isn't too expensive to get started, you just need a cheap portable gps receiver. You would be shocked at how many things people have hidden all over the place. Finding them can be fun, and can really introduce you to some new places that you might otherwise not have known existed.

I love geocaching - best ADD hobby ever! I love it because it gets me outside, to new places - when I do quiet sit-down hobbies I have a tendency to hyper-focus and lose track of time, but not with this. It's great because you can do it close to home or on vacation, alone or with people, kids love it, etc. Check out www.geocaching.com

shadowpower88
03-03-11, 01:45 AM
LA Girl has it on the money....

heres the problem though. I hit the gym 2 hours a day 3 days a week, weight training. WHen I go home, I feel as though I cant focus on studying and shyt. I recommend that if you join a gym.... do your studying and important stuff before going to pump iron.

:-)

Flibbertigibbet
03-03-11, 04:07 PM
I paint. :)
Acrylic on recycled vinyl records. tiny brush. one. dot. at. a. time. for. hours. and. days.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1038&pictureid=7955

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1038&pictureid=7956

(same record art- in blacklight)
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1038&pictureid=7957

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1038&pictureid=7958

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1038&pictureid=7959

ideaman
03-03-11, 04:40 PM
I love these (and your photo as well:)) You must be found of the 60's, right?

Surly Dave
03-03-11, 04:58 PM
I've really been enjoying knitting lately. Being able to sit down on the couch, engage with my family, and keep my hands busy had been a blessing to both me and my family. I'm teaching my daughter now, and we spend time a lot more time together because I'm not absorbed by television or a book (I still read though).

There's also the comedy, which teeters between hobby and vocation.

ADDisme2010
03-03-11, 05:47 PM
Biking, Hiking,
I love BigFish Games (new one every day!) online
Sewing, Jar Art, Painting

Flibbertigibbet
03-03-11, 06:08 PM
I love these (and your photo as well:)) You must be found of the 60's, right?

my parents were kinda hippies, I was born in '69...but i think mostly its cuz i did a lot of acid as a kid lol
But the tedium of the design work is very meditative..its the one thing I definitely "hyperfocus" on when doing it. The problem is just getting my act together to START on it...but once i get started I'm usually so into it that I never want to put it down. I'm like... "ut oh its 1am...ok one more row or just finish this section and then ill go to bed" but then Im there another several hours w/o realizing it. And I end up producing something cool :)

buddy
03-03-11, 06:35 PM
Reading,knitting,making hook rugs,taking care of my animals,snowshoeing,& I especially love gardening.Gardening really takes my mind off my troubles & I tend to get real involved planning what I'm planting, so that I can have something blooming from April to October.

Rebelyell
03-03-11, 06:38 PM
I love making tye dyes and wild looking vortexes and fractals.I use to be in art class and I was stressing and never was happy the way my stuff ever came out.The 1 day the teacher said nothings perfect,things will go bette rif you just sit back and enjoy it as thats what art is for.Just because I didnt care for it doesnt mean some 1 wont,art is in the eye of the beholder.I took her advice and things went alot smoother and better and I actually was happier-Art teachers are the best at motivating and helping a students self esteem.At least mine was for me, she was a very encouraging person;)

LostInThought12
03-03-11, 08:59 PM
Im trying to figure out something to do myself.

Im bored silly. I need to find something to do, that I can do sitting with one leg elevated. Any suggestions? My yarn projects are all out of state now as well as my paints.

Any suggestions?

Rebelyell
03-03-11, 09:35 PM
boy you sound bored to stiches lost JK LOL :D ok that wasnt funny,um well I guess motorcycle riding is out for ya right now:( IF THERES an art supply store can you have some one,hubby bf sister brother etc pick you some needles and yarn up so you can knit or crochet if thats what interests you.What about drawing on a pad,pencil and paper?

LostInThought12
03-04-11, 12:06 AM
Hummm... thats a good idea. Ill have someone take me to an art supply store and pick some inexpensive stuff up, just to play with :) There no way I can tell someone what to get hahaha Ill take some pain meds before we go :)

TKiMNSTR
03-04-11, 01:47 AM
besides video games?

i enjoy collecting uncommon things...

designer sneakers.
japanese cell phones.

lately ive been into guns.

AlbionWest
03-04-11, 02:01 AM
Juggling! (http://www.onlinebraingamesblog.com/brain-fitness/juggling-can-boost-brain-power) (seriously.)

quark
03-04-11, 02:02 AM
Cooking, baking, DIY everything repairs, dunno what else. I work with computers too much to have too much video game interest plus I get addicted to those too easily. Collecting just leads to clutter and piles of stuff. Gardening. For exercise these days I am mostly a cyclist - running is too slow, for the same effort on my bike I get to go see something new.

cuddlezarro
03-04-11, 05:07 PM
other than video games I like to play warhammer (expecially the putting together and painting part of it) also drawing and messing with photoshop

daveddd
03-04-11, 05:11 PM
Reading,knitting,making hook rugs,taking care of my animals,snowshoeing,& I especially love gardening.Gardening really takes my mind off my troubles & I tend to get real involved planning what I'm planting, so that I can have something blooming from April to October.

i love gardens and landscaping in general (i own a landscape design/build business)

my mom has a pretty large garden that she plans like you

we have been going all organic the last few years and its great

about a month and ill be dropping 4 yards of compost in there and tilling it:D

buddy
03-04-11, 08:20 PM
i love gardens and landscaping in general (i own a landscape design/build business)

my mom has a pretty large garden that she plans like you

we have been going all organic the last few years and its great

about a month and ill be dropping 4 yards of compost in there and tilling it:D

I come from a family of nurserymen & landscapers.With all my animals,I too have been organic for years now.I love it.I think it's good for ADD'ers
to get out there & work off our frustrations.
buddy:)

Menna
03-04-11, 10:23 PM
Sounds funny - But I LOVE metal detecting. It gets me outside, its stimulating and exciting. To find detecting sites that will actually have silver coins in the dirt requires research - which can be fun too if you like history.