View Full Version : A.D.D. Timer

Dagwood
12-28-10, 10:53 AM
Here is a simple application I wrote to help me keep track of time at work.

http://addtimer.sourceforge.net/

The timer allows you to launch as many as you want. Each can have different time periods and messages. As an example here is how I use it

On any typical work day I'll have 2 to 3 timers going.

1) A three hour timer the reminds me to check my email.
2) A one hour timer to keep me from losing myself in a task.
3) A three hour timer to remind me to do the rounds and speak with my co-workers.

I have to warn you, it's not polished but it works for me. I did make it into a SourceForge project, which allows you to make suggestions for improvements and report bugs.

addkid92
01-15-11, 09:24 AM
I liked it, although a possible improvement in a future version could be seconds to minutes: *take minutes that user puts in the input box where seconds goes, then, multiply by 60* - simple modification.

Also, to run the timer file, I had to drag example.xml or whatever timefile i created onto the app - don't know if thats the correct way of doing it, but, double clicking on the timer file only opened the file in internet explorer as .xml file.

I do like the concept and idea though, this i believe, is very handy for a person with adhd.

good work. you wrote this with the .NET framework? what language?

Dagwood
01-15-11, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I added your suggestion for entering the duration in minutes.

As far as starting the timer you need to launch it from a shortcut. Basically create a shortcut where the target is the path to the executable and the path to the xml configuration file. For example

"c:\Program Files\ADDTimer\ADDTimer.exe c:\stuff\emailTimer.xml"

This allows you to launch multiple timers each with different durations and messages. I did it this way because I tend to run 2 to 3 timers at once. At a minimum I have a 3 hour email timer and a 1 hour come up for air timer.

The latest version asks you if you want the program to create a shortcut for you. The program is written in C# using the .Net framework.

Dagwood
01-21-11, 11:09 PM
Your suggestion has been implemented. The software is now at version 1.0.2.
Basically when you run the timer by itself and bring up the editor you can choose minutes or seconds. Also I updated the installer to associate *.atf files with the ADDTimer application. This allows you to launch by double clicking. Thanks for the feedback, I hope the changes help.