View Full Version : Aspergers and meds??

Canuck223
12-28-10, 11:31 AM
Last night we had an excellent dinner party with a group of old high school friends. Three couples and 6 kids, and all the associated chaos.:D

Our one set of friends have a 7 year old with Aspergers. He's very high functioning, but his behaviour cycles wildly. They have done a lot of work on the alphabet soup of training and behaviour management programs. They have also radically adjusted thier family diet to eliminated gluten, excess sugars, and chicken eggs.

We said up front that our house is child resistant, and our own kids are not fragile. Kids are kids, and short of cuts and broken bones, we're cool with the inevitable fuss.

Still, I wondered if there were any meds that have helped manage the behavior issues associated with this condition?

Imnapl
12-28-10, 11:05 PM
I know a lad with Asperger Syndrome who takes Concerta and Risperidone. We can tell when he doesn't take his medication.

Spikey 723
02-23-11, 12:02 PM
I know this is reviving an old thread - but the two other posters are still around.

I happened to be given risperidone - to cut impulsivity. This was some time ago - before I had an adhd diagnosis.

Yesterday I was also diagnosed with aspergers.

My question is - how would the risperidone help someone with aspergers? I know for me it cuts down the number of times I act instinctively - but that's part of my adhd (I would think!).

Just on the lookout for more information really.

Scooter77
02-23-11, 05:49 PM
THere's a lot of ADHD symptoms present in Aspergers so it's often treated successfully with ADHD meds. It's also common to have co-morbid anxiety or depression so anti depressants or anti-anxieties are sometimes used.
In saying that, most aspies respond differently to medications than other people so it's just a matter of hitting on the right med for that person.

Lunacie
02-23-11, 06:00 PM
I know this is reviving an old thread - but the two other posters are still around.

I happened to be given risperidone - to cut impulsivity. This was some time ago - before I had an adhd diagnosis.

Yesterday I was also diagnosed with aspergers.

My question is - how would the risperidone help someone with aspergers? I know for me it cuts down the number of times I act instinctively - but that's part of my adhd (I would think!).

Just on the lookout for more information really.

The P-doc we saw this morning for my granddaughter (who is on the Autism Spectrum) told us that the Risperidone she's been taking for a year now - that we thought was to help with her intense anxiety - was actually more of mood leveler. I know kids with Autism have a lot of frustration, and it helps moderate that frustration, which can lead to aggression and/or self-injury.

daveddd
02-23-11, 06:08 PM
The P-doc we saw this morning for my granddaughter (who is on the Autism Spectrum) told us that the Risperidone she's been taking for a year now - that we thought was to help with her intense anxiety - was actually more of mood leveler. I know kids with Autism have a lot of frustration, and it helps moderate that frustration, which can lead to aggression and/or self-injury.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21294670

yea, frustration and irritability

Lunacie
02-23-11, 06:27 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21294670

yea, frustration and irritability

Had to look up Aripiprazole to see what it was. The P-doc said there were two meds that are approved for kids with ASD, Risperidone and Abilify (Aripiprazole). He feels that Risperidone is the better choice, and it does seem to be helping my granddaughter with no terrible side effects.

daveddd
02-23-11, 06:50 PM
Had to look up Aripiprazole to see what it was. The P-doc said there were two meds that are approved for kids with ASD, Risperidone and Abilify (Aripiprazole). He feels that Risperidone is the better choice, and it does seem to be helping my granddaughter with no terrible side effects.

had i heard that too

i just posted that for anti psychotics in general

Spikey 723
02-23-11, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the responses - good ideas as often are.

XR,SR stoneyend
02-23-11, 09:08 PM
Keppra helps me

Spikey 723
02-23-11, 09:12 PM
Keppra helps me

Had to google that - never heard of it before.

Triptych
02-23-11, 09:48 PM
What Lunacie said.

I've heard a few people on low doses claim they feel a therapeutic benefit with no side effects. I've also seen parents make similar claims about their kids' behavior. Less impulsive, calmer, fewer angry outbursts or sensory meltdowns.

Personally, I don't trust it. I was on Risperdal for insomnia and mood problems associated with an anxiety disorder. The dose was extremely low (half a milligram), but it turned me into a zombie.

I'm oversensitive to the environment around me (an AS/ADHD trait), which leads to anxiety, irritability, sleeping problems, etc. I don't remember Risperdal blunting that oversensitivity in a good way--it just kind of numbed me. I'm sure I was well-behaved, but mentally, I felt tranquilized. Of course, you can't generalize from one person's experience.

fracturedstory
02-24-11, 12:08 AM
Risperidone is for the really out of control kids who have meltdowns. I knew a few adults on it too.

SSRI's are good to lessen obsessional behaviour, anxiety and depression. I was on one for PMDD. Kind of like a hormonal depression/anger disorder.

ADHD meds help me for my ADHD issues; lack of focus, impulsivity, inattentive symptoms and even works to lessen my irritability. So it's better than Risperidone for me. I don't think I'd ever go on an anti-psychotics. My brain is a magnet for bad side effects. I only require a small dose of Ritalin and don't really take anything else. I need codeine in my painkillers to block pain from dysmenorrhea. I'm even too scared to take anticonvulsants.

Also, I'm a bit iffy about parents who put their AS kids on GFCF diets. Also, what's wrong with chicken eggs? Aren't they a good source of Vitmain A and protein? If I've got a big day I better have a poached egg and a few strips of bacon. Don't forget that tomato sauce. It's an Australian thing.