View Full Version : Death of Kodachrome

notsoplainJane
12-30-10, 11:03 AM
Most here have probably gone completely digital, but does anyone miss real film? Today is the very last day that the remaining lab in the world processing Kodachrome will do so. After that, the machinery will be sold for scraps.

I have a digital camera but absolutely nothing replaces my Nikon F4.

I was feeling pretty good this morning and after just finishing a run, thought I'd quickly take a look at the news.

Life as a whole certainly has more pressing problems, but I am mourning Kodachrome's demise.

Does anyone feel the same?

lunaslobo
01-04-11, 11:09 PM
Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/p/paul_simon/#share

yes I too am morning this loss. something has been taken away.

Adrian
03-12-11, 04:58 PM
I'm a film shooter.

New to photography in general though. My dad had a stash of old manual nikon bodies and a few lenses, so I got straight into them. I'd probably played with a digital camera a few times, but I came across some photo books when we were clearing out. Hyperfocusing as we do, I sat & learned all about apertures and f-stops before I even had a camera in by hand. Only really beginning to understand it all though.

Needless to say, there is just something extra when shooting film. All the home-dev stuff too. Nothing wrong with digital though, just not my bag. And yes, much mourning in the world of film. I never had a chance to shoot kodachrome, unfortunately. But it is one of many films that have been discontinued lately.

The best way to mourn them is by celebrating them. find expired specimens and make a project with them.

But there have been advances too. Film ain't dead yet!

Dizfriz
03-12-11, 05:38 PM
So far I have seen nothing that will the color and clarity of the Kchromes. I have over 4000 slides taken with mostly with this film.

Digital cameras are easy but they simply are not the same. I don't have the control over the image that I had with my Canons and Kchrome.

Oh yes, with Nikon, you can use most of your lens with new digital Nikon.

I have two full darkroom setups and probably will not set them up again. I would like to use my 4x5 cameras though. Perhaps in time.

Dizfriz

Luthien
03-30-11, 09:10 AM
Life as a whole certainly has more pressing problems, but I am mourning Kodachrome's demise.

Does anyone feel the same?

Somewhat, yes. I haven't used real analog film in quite a while, and I was never really into photography. But I found it very interesting, and my dad taught me how to develop b&w film because he had been an avid amateur photographer before we were born. I found the process somewhat magical.
Later on he also taught me to use that apparatus (I don't know the english word for it) that you project your negative on the photo paper with; and all the stuff with determining the exposure time, the developing etc.

I have never done colour development, but I did read some of his old books about that. The author was really enthusiastic about all the different brands of colour film and how they all had their own personality. Kodachrome indeed was very bright with intense colours, while agfacolour was somewhat pastel-tinted. He mentioned many more like Ferraniacolor and Anscochrome. :) those names still give me the same feeling of curiousity and wonder as ever.

It struck me that there are quite a number of iPhone applications that mimic these old film materials. So the notion that this film character was interesting is certainly still alive.

And more in general, I like the sort of technology where you can still see what's going on - even though I love to try out every new digital gizmo. Last year I wanted to get a video camera to take on a long trip to scandinavia and it is amazing what quality you get for so little money: full 1080p HD, 60 frames/sec, and a tiny memory chip that holds an almost unbelievable amount of video and/or photos. But still - it is all locked up and away in little black pandora's boxes and you can't see what is going on.

A friend of mine is a classical composer, and she just got an original Edison phonograph to use in one of her pieces .. she has this same fascination with that old straightforward technology of meandering grooves and glowing radio valves, the smell of warm bakelite.

tipoo
04-06-11, 08:27 AM
http://ca.gizmodo.com/5789381/dreamworks-is-making-a-movie-about-the-dead-kodachrome-film

At least you have this to look forward to.

wsmac
04-17-11, 05:25 PM
My 17 yo daughter was introduced to film some years ago.
She still loves to work inside a darkroom whenever she gets the chance.
She has a friend who ran the darkroom at the local university and took her through it, even letting her process some paper.

My daughter recently saved up for and purchased her own digital 35mm format camera.
It's unfortunate that she will never fully appreciate what film was all about.
But then, starting with digital, she will gain knowledge (at the rate she's going anyway) about this medium that will help her make the most of the pictures she does take now and in the future.:)