View Full Version : Addiction/dependence/withdrawal?

Alex9
01-02-11, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, ive been feeling pretty crappy lately and I need some opinions on this.

So I was on 50mg of vyvanse and I took 20mg of ritalin at around dinner time to help me finish my homework after the vyvanse wore off. The combination worked great for a little while, but for some reason my vyvanse started to wear off waaaay earlier than it did when I started. Eventually, I got to the point where I couldnt stand it wearing off while I was still in school. So eventually I stopped taking it, which my doctor recomended after I told him about how quickly it was wearing off.

Although I had been tired a lot before, when I stopped taking vyvanse I felt even more tired, constantly irritable, and I could not think at all. Eventually I started to develop what I think is mild depression. Also, my moods have been extremely unstable. So Im wondering if its possible I developed dependence on vyvanse. I think its possible since I was staying up very late studying on ritalin, and vyvanse allowed me to get through despite my sleep deprivation. The constant tiredness Im feeling certainly feels like it could be related to some type of vyvanse withdrawal.

Im pretty sure that amphetamine can be addicting, but I dont think I took vyvanse long enough and at a high enough dose to get addicted. Ive been taking ritalin in the afternoon/night to do homework for 2 years and I started taking adderall xr in spring to help me with my adhd at school. I stopped all meds during the summer, and started taking vyvanse when school started in late august. I finally stopped taking the vyvanse in mid december.

Is it possible that my brain down regulated dopamine and norepinephrine receptors enough to cause these "withdrawal" symptoms?

Also, I just started taking wellbutrin around christmas time because I didnt want to take a stimulant for adhd, and my doctor said it was possible that Im depressed. If i really did develop some sort of dependence to vyvanse, will wellbutrin help alleviate this crappy feeling I always have?

Wow this was kind of a massive rant and I might be over analyzing this whole situation, but I always feel horrible and I want to know if stopping vyvanse could have anything to do with this.

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Alex9
01-04-11, 04:43 PM
Honestly, nobody?

aarondev
01-05-11, 05:58 AM
Sir, you're impatient with response times. Most of the time - unless its for some reason a hot topic - responses will take 5 days at least.

Anyway, your question has nothing to do with dependence is what I would argue, rather tolerance. From what you described your habits of sleeping and studying were completely different on Vyvanse as oppose to off it. From what I can tell, you're struggling with these new habits without the medicine? So perhaps there in lies your answer.

Secondly, if you've been off stimulants for a while (say two weeks) your body will likely have largely reset from the tolerance issue you were experiencing (of shorter duration). You could try taking it again and seeing how it impacted you. Taking breaks from the medicine during the week (which it doesn't sound like you were) makes a big difference in how long until your body adjusts to the medicine and what happened to you, happens.

Thirdly, Wellbutrin will somewhat help with ADHD. Some report that it makes considerable differences, some fewer. There's a separate forum on here though where I'm sure there are copious reports. Set your filter for 'posts ever' as oppose to 'recent posts' since I imagine its not as popular of a forum as say, Adderall.

Lastly, Citrus is known to massively affect the uptake of these medicines. Citric acid more precisely. Were you taking any soda/fruit (present in most, tbh) during your reduced efficacy period?

Alex9
01-17-11, 05:08 PM
Sorry, havent been on the forums lately so Im just getting to reply to you now aarondev. thanks for the reply.

Your answer about tolerance makes sense, but Im pretty sure tolerance and dependence are inter-related, but I guess thats not important.

Just to address some of your points:
I tried to not take vyvanse during the weekend, but eventually I got behind with school work and was "forced" to take it on weekends to keep up with all of my classes. This could definitely increase my tolerance by a significant amount. Also, I knew the effects of citric acid and vitamin c on the absorption of vyvanse (and other amphetamines) and avoided these for the most part during the day to ensure that I wasnt reducing the effectiveness.

And sorry if I came across as impatient. These forums have usually seemed pretty fast to me, but maybe I do have unrealistice expectations.

Jester
01-17-11, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, ive been feeling pretty crappy lately and I need some opinions on this.

So I was on 50mg of vyvanse and I took 20mg of ritalin at around dinner time to help me finish my homework after the vyvanse wore off. The combination worked great for a little while, but for some reason my vyvanse started to wear off waaaay earlier than it did when I started. Eventually, I got to the point where I couldnt stand it wearing off while I was still in school. So eventually I stopped taking it, which my doctor recomended after I told him about how quickly it was wearing off.

Although I had been tired a lot before, when I stopped taking vyvanse I felt even more tired, constantly irritable, and I could not think at all. Eventually I started to develop what I think is mild depression. Also, my moods have been extremely unstable. So Im wondering if its possible I developed dependence on vyvanse. I think its possible since I was staying up very late studying on ritalin, and vyvanse allowed me to get through despite my sleep deprivation. The constant tiredness Im feeling certainly feels like it could be related to some type of vyvanse withdrawal.

Im pretty sure that amphetamine can be addicting, but I dont think I took vyvanse long enough and at a high enough dose to get addicted. Ive been taking ritalin in the afternoon/night to do homework for 2 years and I started taking adderall xr in spring to help me with my adhd at school. I stopped all meds during the summer, and started taking vyvanse when school started in late august. I finally stopped taking the vyvanse in mid december.

Is it possible that my brain down regulated dopamine and norepinephrine receptors enough to cause these "withdrawal" symptoms?

Also, I just started taking wellbutrin around christmas time because I didnt want to take a stimulant for adhd, and my doctor said it was possible that Im depressed. If i really did develop some sort of dependence to vyvanse, will wellbutrin help alleviate this crappy feeling I always have?

Wow this was kind of a massive rant and I might be over analyzing this whole situation, but I always feel horrible and I want to know if stopping vyvanse could have anything to do with this.

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Avoid using the term addiction, people use it to describe no lifes doing 300mg meth, 350mg IV oxymorphone, heroin, hydromorphone, daily because they can't handle the responsibility of having a normal life. I wouldn't even call it withdrawal in your case, what you experience is minor fatigue and some signs that the medicine does not work optimally.

I saw what stimulant addicts look like and believe me you're not one of them. Guy meets up in the morning for a coffee, his hands start shaking like he had parkinson so he excuses himself to go to the washroom, he comes back 5 minutes later he's fine. First of all you're not a true addict if you don't snort or IV your medicine and you obviously can't do that with vyvanse and even if you could I'm sure you wouldn't so don't use terms that make you look bad.It's kind of unfair to describe yourself like that and get nothing out of it.

Heroin addicts often describe the IV high as being a mix of a long lasting orgasm, eating the best tasting icecream ever, the feeling of winning the lotto 6/49, drinking a glass of cold water when you're really thirsty, so all those things put together with an intensity multiplied by 10 is what they refer to as a heroin brainwash, happening during the first 2 minutes of the injection. You obviously don't even imagine what it is, so it's unfair for you to get an addict tag and not get anything out of it either lol, at least the guys calling themselves addicts sit on 100 good highs, I don't feel sorry for them.

Icecream
01-17-11, 10:08 PM
I do not believe anything is really taken for the purpose of being addicted. My belief is that people become addicts to fill a void. A user didn't wake up in the morning thinking "I want to be a user in life".

Jester
01-17-11, 10:11 PM
I do not believe anything is really taken for the purpose of being addicted. My belief is that people become addicts to fill a void. A user didn't wake up in the morning thinking "I want to be a user in life".

Yes it happens with undiagnosed ADD or people having similar conditions who self medicate and that's understandable. But if you start to IV serious stuff you're not filling a void anymore you're just looking for a way to get f up and that's inexcusable according to me.

Alex9
01-18-11, 08:22 PM
Avoid using the term addiction, people use it to describe no lifes doing 300mg meth, 350mg IV oxymorphone, heroin, hydromorphone, daily because they can't handle the responsibility of having a normal life. I wouldn't even call it withdrawal in your case, what you experience is minor fatigue and some signs that the medicine does not work optimally.

I saw what stimulant addicts look like and believe me you're not one of them. Guy meets up in the morning for a coffee, his hands start shaking like he had parkinson so he excuses himself to go to the washroom, he comes back 5 minutes later he's fine. First of all you're not a true addict if you don't snort or IV your medicine and you obviously can't do that with vyvanse and even if you could I'm sure you wouldn't so don't use terms that make you look bad.It's kind of unfair to describe yourself like that and get nothing out of it.

Heroin addicts often describe the IV high as being a mix of a long lasting orgasm, eating the best tasting icecream ever, the feeling of winning the lotto 6/49, drinking a glass of cold water when you're really thirsty, so all those things put together with an intensity multiplied by 10 is what they refer to as a heroin brainwash, happening during the first 2 minutes of the injection. You obviously don't even imagine what it is, so it's unfair for you to get an addict tag and not get anything out of it either lol, at least the guys calling themselves addicts sit on 100 good highs, I don't feel sorry for them.

Yeah I guess addiction is a strong word for my situation. I do feel like a might have become slightly dependent on it. Key word is slightly.

Now that I think about it, it probably has more to do with lack of sleep than anything else. When I took vyvanse, I could manage to go on 5 hours of sleep. Now I feel crappy if I get less than 8.

Lunacie
01-19-11, 06:25 PM
I think you may be confusing the two words: addiction and dependence. They are not the same.

Basically, addiction is psychological and dependence is physical. Many medications that are taken for an extended period of time will cause a dependence and when you stop or lower the dose quickly you'll have withdrawal symptoms. This is a normal reaction and it does not mean you're addicted to the meds.

Someone who is addicted to a medication begins to raise the dosage on their own without consulting their doctor, they find other sources for the meds, they lie about how much of the meds they are using, and if the doctor wants them to stop taking the med they find they cannot or will not.

Vyvanse is certainly one of the meds that has been shown to cause dependency. A quick web search shows that the primary medication in Vyvanse can cause withdrawal symptoms including mental fatigue, depression, increased appetite, anxiety, agitation, excessive need for sleep, vivid dreams, and thoughts of suicide. The length of withdrawal seems related to the length of time the med was taken.

The symptoms you listed seem to match some on that list, eh? So depending on how long you were taking the Vyvanse, you should begin seeing a light at the end of the tunnel any time now. Good luck.