View Full Version : Mirtazapene

Amtram
01-03-11, 10:55 AM
I just wanted to share this, because it's the latest in the series of medications I've tried for sleep. It's not actually a sleep medication, but an antidepressant that's sometimes used as an adjunct to help for sleep.

So far, the effect on my sleep has been overwhelmingly positive. It has some affinity for H1 receptors, so I'm getting a little tiny bit of the facial numbness and very, very mild morning shakiness, but it's a fraction of the horrible effects I had with Seroquel.

It doesn't make me drowsy, per se. Not the way a sleep medication is supposed to. I take it before bed, lie down, and within about a half hour, I'm asleep. I wake up in the middle of the night for one reason or another, take care of whatever woke me up, and go back to sleep almost immediately after I lie back down. No crazy, exhausting dreams, either.

I am finding that it makes my Adderall a little less effective, but it's too soon to say whether that will continue to be the case. It's also too soon to say whether it's going to have a positive or negative effect on my mood. However, this is the most natural and restful sleep I've gotten in decades, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Abi
01-03-11, 10:58 AM
I have a friend here who also takes mitrazapine for insomnia, and seems to be quite happy with it.

addhell
01-17-11, 01:06 PM
I was wondering, how long before bed Mirtazapine (Remeron/Miron) should be taken? Of course everyone reacts differently, I know I know... But, just approximately, how long does it take until you feel sleepy?
(Just looking for your experience.. Thanks).

Amtram
01-18-11, 12:04 AM
The generic I started with took less than an hour. I got a different generic yesterday, and I was still awake 4 hours after taking it. I am not happy about this turn of events at all.

allstar9031
05-19-11, 05:03 PM
I was pescribed this medication for mild depression, and was instructed to take it in the morning.... Big mistake on that Dr's part. At the time I had a job that involved driving from site to site during the course of the day.. It became a health hazard to my self and the public. I stopped taking it and never went back to that Dr.
Years later at a visit with a new Dr. this Medication came up, and I explained the circumstances and the dosing.. She was in AWWW, first off, that it was pescribed for a mild type of depression, and second, that it was to be taken in the morning.

But anyways, as it goes as a sleep aid, it works verry well.

Amtram
05-19-11, 10:38 PM
I actually ended up discontinuing this, because there was too much variation in effect from one brand to another.

alkalineashes
07-06-11, 02:58 AM
I love this med so far, I prefer 30mg to the 15 tho and am hoping to go to 45.It's helped me lower my SSRI dose , which is great. remember the lower the dose, the more sedation.