View Full Version : Should I switch to online high school?

01-03-11, 05:57 PM
My ADD makes high school very hard for me for many reasons and i'm border line failing and not getting good enough grades to ever go to college. I'm considering online school because there would be less distractions and I can go at my own pace. I feel like I could be missing out on a big part of my childhood by doing this but there's countless reasons why I want to do online school.

What do you guys think?

Jester
01-03-11, 10:07 PM
My ADD makes high school very hard for me for many reasons and i'm border line failing and not getting good enough grades to ever go to college. I'm considering online school because there would be less distractions and I can go at my own pace. I feel like I could be missing out on a big part of my childhood by doing this but there's countless reasons why I want to do online school.

What do you guys think?

I hear you man. I'm a book guy, I sit with the book at the library for 10 hours lol. In class I ..MOD EDIT.. never listen never take notes etc.

anonymouslyadd
01-03-11, 10:53 PM

What do you guys think?

I wasn't aware that you could do high school online. The online venture for me did not bode very well. I ended up failing and not getting my work done. Of course, this was before I knew I had ADD. However, as I began to better commit myself to my studies, I learned to never miss a class, take a lot of notes, and study hard. For me, I felt like I needed the structure of the classroom and still do.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get more information on the online thing. I know a guy who said he had ADD and he was doing online courses for his bachelor's degree. I think he set up about 4 or 5 hours on sundays to work on studies.

Is this for high school or college?

FrazzleDazzle
01-03-11, 11:06 PM
My son is doing his senior year of high school at an e-school where he goes to the class and does his work online with other students, teacher monitors, at his own pace. He goes for 4 hours - no books, papers, homework, etc. It was his choice, it was tough, but he admits it's been the best thing for his grades and learning the materials, as much as he loved the social life of the typical high school environment that he left. He's very pleased with the program, and wishes he'd done it sooner. He goes to a national charter school called Ombudsman. if you have one in your area, I'd recommend you check it out.

He also realizes the online classes you take on your computer wherever you are, with no classroom involved, would NOT work for him, and I agreed. :-)

01-04-11, 12:05 AM
Damn my parents aren't even giving the thought of me going to online school a chance. I was so excited for a turnaround in my life to be able to stop taking my meds, get good grades, start workingout (gain weight back from addy weight loss) and try to get a job. This sucks. If anyone has convincing sites how online school is better please share.

Pears
05-24-11, 04:30 PM
Dont know if anyone else said to do it, but i am currently doing it and it is almost impossible with ADD. I highly advise not even trying it unless you want to fail/take summer school. All distractions are right there for easy access. The internet itself is a huge distraction and I find it like 20 times harder to focus at home than in school. Trust me don't do it.

masud786
05-24-11, 09:42 PM
DON'T TAKE ONLINE CLASSES WITH ADD. Seriously, VERY bad idea. You'll be distracted even more, not to mention there won't be anyone to push you or remind you to turn in assignments and such