View Full Version : Adder can't get any good help today!!!

Draga
08-09-04, 10:09 PM
This is going to drive me NUTS!

The Judge who granted my SSI, said I spend this time in more therapy, and their are more problems I have than just Bipolar and ADHD so other than my shrink i need additonal help....so I must find other means....

I called the National Alligance for Mentally ill.It a social interaction support group......they wont take me cause I dont have medicade, and when I did have medicade I was lucky to find my doc cause no one else accept it, I dont like being around people and they make me nervous.....It's like a hang out support group and even had Job training programs and stuff.....
...I swear..damned if I do damned if I dont!!! So I figure I can go to the YWCA Support Group and go to meetings so that I am gettin boh therapy in one.....but it free so Idoubt it's going to help much! Mental Health groups never helped me either, but I think this could have helped but I am not getting medicaid till March 2005. Here is the Kicker...But GD....
Only thing I can think off is joing a women's crisis center and go to group therapy....kinda support in two areas of my problems, but when I think of it, they are going to want me to interact and talk, which I always sound like a shmuckwhen I do cause I stuttor and talk to fast....I could wind up right back here afraid to go cause I am not getting help for the other....sheesh!

How in Gawd's Green Earth am I going to get help with one thing if I can't get help with the other.

I'm sowwy, but I am still not convinced that society is the right world for me...How am I supposed to get the therapy they need if I have to play by their rules..:(

paulbf
08-10-04, 01:21 AM
What exactly are they requiring? Group therapy that you pay for? Anyways if you just wanted to rant, that's OK too.

waywardclam
08-10-04, 01:37 AM
If all you need is a group that meets and supports, can we not arrange that here?

Draga
08-10-04, 06:42 AM
If all you need is a group that meets and supports, can we not arrange that here?

Yes, Clam, Mi Amore, u of all people know I love it here....and the forums has helped me alot.....From what I understand about my situation should i get revaluated for SSI and it shows I was not getting outside treatment If I dont comply with orders....I lose SSI.. I really dont know if online support counts or not...as usual people are confusing me.

Paul, what they want for meezley little group sessions, job training, social interaction therapy, me thinks there must be other programs there too I suspect pretty much all week..Also a place just go and hang out..and one day of individual therapy each week is medicaid which I wont get until March 2005......I was told that they would find someway to work with me.....Go figure...Oh I do hate ppl on the outside!!!!

meadd823
08-10-04, 07:17 AM
Would a group along the lines of al-non count? A suggestion from other post and conversations!! I have been to a couple of thier meeting and got some good stuff, plus it is FREE and you DON"T HAVE to talk if you don't want to. The first couple of times i went I sat in the back ( as per my usual in new places) for quick exiting at end of meeting or middle if necessary, bathroom trips,ect... I know first hand the "rat race" I used to get funny looks from people (like social workers, case workers) when I would ask them if there was a peice of cheese at the end of this maze.

Tammy

Tammy

Draga
08-10-04, 08:01 AM
I am really Tempted to call this Judge and find out exactly counts n what doesn't....I got those look from the Job evaluators when I tried to talk and blanked out n stuttored my butt off LOL....THESE PPL work around disabled people, but yet I still got the looks like I am the one who should be committed.....I know if I go back out there again...it be the same way....around those who work w/ disabled or not......Sigh...I am sooooo fed up with looks!!!!!

I can't do it!!! NO NO ! No way....the more looks I get from people because of the way I am the more rage I feel against them and even myself cause I feel like I am wrong!! I'm never going to get better if I don't....dilema dilema!

paulbf
08-10-04, 09:31 AM
Hmm. I'm still not getting a clear picture. That would help to get it straight exactly what's being required. Did the SSI folks have any specific suggestions other than the job training thing you already tried?

The SSI provides you with some income for living expenses provided you pursue treatment but it doesn't pay for any treatment until next spring when medicaid kicks in. It seems you are continuing to see a therapist (presumably an hour a week) as before, paid by Mom I'd guess who you continue to live with. So the SSI money is probably going to Mom. Does she snatch it all up? Is it enough money to hire a better therapist who does group therapy? I can understand how the job training thing is uncomfortable and I can certainly believe that it's not very supportive at all.

Is there any type of people you feel comfortable with in person? Can you think of any situation where it felt OK, even briefly or imagined? With children perhaps or elderly, some group that is not so judgemental? A private shrink is great 'cause you are the boss & there is zero social pressure. My thought is more time with the current shrink or another who can help teach you some social skills because the group therapy thing sounds like you just aren't ready. It's not that you can't get along with people as you get along great here, just stupid physical stuttering & akward eye contact stuff which you could probably learn if that was targeted with therapy. Jumping in too deep to some unsupportive group is just too stresful though & makes you less willing.

The women's abuse support group sounds promising perhaps.

National Alligance for Mentally ill sounds good but not till spring.

YWCA Support Group you aren't optimistic of the value because it's free so probably not that great.

Hmmmmm so anyways you're feeling cornered and that's no good but it seems you have some ideas what you really want. I say go ahead and pursue what feels right for you & ignore their specific requests but do something. They are maybe a little bit fuzzy because they really don't want to nail it down and are willing to let you figure out what's best for you. It's all about you & what's best for you. Whatever you feel ready to deal with is what you can do best with. If you are taking some kind of action, that ought to be able to be justified with support from your shrink saying you aren't ready for job training or group therapy but are pursuing what is most effective for the time being. I do think you need to learn to deal with society to some degree but am not sure what steps to take to reach that point. The thing is not to fret about what they are demanding but focus on what will really help you. The judge will hear you out if you are taking some sensible action.

Hope that helps Mel.

meadd823
08-13-04, 12:53 PM
I think getting specifics as to what is expected is a great idea. Who wants to waste time and energy persueing the unconfortable only to find out it is wrong.

Seems like you have some social anxiety. Everyone does to a certain extent but yours does sound extreme. I agree with above post: You do well here as far as being able to communicate. Is it the time factor? Is it because you can't see us when you do communicate? Some thing on this forum (or the lack of some thing) gives you an ability you don't have when dealing with people in person. There in lies the answer to your riddle!!

Also I have heard the are medications for social anxiety. Do you have access to a decent doctor? The social anxiety thing must be cared for before you can "function". Seems like that issue would need to be addressed before job training, group therphy, all that stuff as it is irrelvient until you can get the social anxiety issue under control! I'm not a rocket scientist and I can see that shurly some one with a higher education should be able to understand. You may need some thing in writting by some one's name that has initials behind it but I realy don't know. I have met people who are on social security who could be on thier own yet I have met some folks who had disabilities that warrented help be denyed. I think it is all in the dam paper work.

Draga
08-14-04, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=paulbf]Hmm. I'm still not getting a clear picture. That would help to get it straight exactly what's being required. Did the SSI folks have any specific suggestions other than the job training thing you already tried?

Not really.....SSI peeps I use this time for Recovery and Therapy Purposes..inbetween doctor visits I still looking around for at least a lil extra help inbetween appointments.....Or Judge said I would have to get my reg doctor to see me more that every other month. Best Solution I have found for alternate support is of course..Here.:)

So the SSI money is probably going to Mom. Does she snatch it all up? Is it enough money to hire a better therapist who does group therapy? I can understand how the job training thing is uncomfortable and I can certainly believe that it's not very supportive at all.

Actually, since I suck at $$$ issues...The Payee will be an SSI Bank of some kind instead of my mother...My Mom pretty much takes care of my getting from A to Z and and other needs while I am broke and Immobile...Since Mom is pretty much doing things for me that a regular reposponsible adult can do for them selves.....The Judge feels that she should not handle my $$$ so I can learn to do for me...which is A+ ok w/ me:D

Is there any type of people you feel comfortable with in person? Outside my family...Not unless I get Blitzed to loosen up, except the other people In assesment program...they understand me better..but I suppose they are pretty much busy working towards fixing their own lives still.

I have private shrink, of course I still feel nervous cause I still sound like a shmuck sometimes talking to him...

Yes, I know deep down I am not ready for the social interaction...but I have to start somewhere even though I dont wanna right now...heh.

Draga
08-14-04, 11:42 PM
Tammy,

Yes and no about the axiety disorder....My doc says I do have anxiety but it's another perk of bipolar 2.....fun!