View Full Version : Working memory (short term memory) and medication

JohnQc
01-07-11, 12:33 AM
John <SMALL>Member (http://totallyadd.com/forum/profile.php?id=11556)</SMALL>
http://totallyadd.com/forum/avatars/default.png
Hi guys,

I'd like to know from the people for which medication has worked for their ADHD, has the medication improved your working memory (short term memory) or eliminated the symptoms that make it difficult to access it sometimes? I have a real problem with my working memory, often struggle to find the right words or remember something I just saw or heard a few minutes before, hopefully this is something which can be aided by the taking of medication. How does it help (how do you feel different in taking it?)

Looking forward to your responses

John

anonymouslyadd
01-07-11, 12:47 AM
I take adderall and it does help my working memory. However, the context is key. If I were given instructions at my delivery job, I could really remember them without needing to write it down verbatim.

Yet, it doesn't work so much in the classroom. Notes need to be taken and you gotta try to pay attention, but the attention part is easier on the meds.

Jabi
01-07-11, 04:00 PM
As per my research the short term memory loss medicines are ginkgo biloba, matched placebo. If you take this so your brain will be more powerful.

hollywood
01-07-11, 04:22 PM
I heard in clinical studies they found alpha 2 agonist to facilitate working memory as well. Not sure about ginko but I know caffeine boosts performance in standardized testing.

gilroy
02-06-11, 06:49 PM
Strattera helped my short term memory more than any stimulant(adderall,focalin,metadate,dexedrine)...t he problem with strattera is finding the right dose....but once you do short term memory with strattera is almost unrivaled.

willinabox
02-28-11, 05:15 PM
Interesting...I also have a terrible working memory.

-Welbutrin definitely helped me with working memory, but made my anxiety worse

I'm thinking of trying out the alpha 2 agonists, but I hear those can make you tired.

hollywood
03-18-11, 03:51 PM
yeah they do make you tired, but I have taken them an when your not tired the focus is good. It basically negates stimulant side effects.