View Full Version : It's official! I'm ADHD-I!

Surly Dave
01-07-11, 02:58 AM
Well, I went through the proper channels, shelling out a mortgage payment, jumping through flaming hoops, hours of tedious paperwork and testing, and the Dr. confirmed my self diagnosis. I ADHD-I:)

I have read some folks on this form who are less than enthused with such a dx, but I am excited. I am that much closer to getting treatment, i.e.: meds, and hopefully living life more fully.

45 years of surfing a wave of B.S. that told me I was just a failure, I'm not worth success, why bother you'll just fail anyway...

***sigh***

My doctor, great guy by the way and ADHD himself, asked me, "I don't mean to offend you, but how did you make it this far? How have you survived?" He also said that "I've got it bad." :p

I realize that pills aren't a panacea. But just being able to move forward, or at least the possibility of moving forward, brings me hope.

By the way, I couldn't have survived this long with out my awesome, long-suffering wife and a great church community.

Unbelievable
01-07-11, 03:17 AM
Congrats Dave!

We're close to the same age and I was diagnosed in late November. I completely relate to the... Finally!..Finally!.. tone of your post.

I'm still sitting at my desk working at 1:15 AM on a Thursday, so obviously I don't have it all figured out yet, :p but I agree. Progress!

Good luck and let us know how you're dong.

StoicNate
01-07-11, 03:21 AM
Awesome for going in the right direction and getting diagnosed.
I hope that meds will make your life a little easier to go through.

danelady
01-07-11, 07:19 AM
Woohoo!

Michiko74
01-07-11, 07:34 AM
Wow that is awesome news! Yes there is a better future ahead. It won't be an easy road, and yes there are going to be some major learning curves ahead. But for now, celebrate your diagnosis!!

AlbionWest
01-11-11, 02:32 AM
Just knowing the truth is priceless. Knowledge can only help!

Triptych
01-11-11, 06:37 AM
This is great to hear, congratulations! I like your attitude! Congratulations on getting this far, as well. Score one for resilience and faith. Keep on moving forward. :)

bof00
01-11-11, 10:48 AM
Congrats! I just got the same diagnosis yesterday.
Didn't you feel exonerated? I did at least - not many took me serious because I'm really good at covering it up.
Did they give you meds? I'd like to know what they suggested for you?

imreallyjin
01-11-11, 03:31 PM
Congrats & LUCKY YOU!
i wish my doc was specialized in ADHD and have the condition himself/herself!

my doc is sort of still not fully trusting of me :(
but then again, i'm a college student, so i don't mind him stigmatizing me. :D