View Full Version : Adult ADD Diagnosis - Who to go to?

serox104
01-07-11, 04:24 PM
I seem to be a bit lost on who I should go to in order to get diagnosed and begin treatment for Adult ADD. My insurance company said I should first go to a psychologist to get diagnosed then go to a psychiatrist to get medication, does this seem correct? I have UnitedHealthcare so I am trying to stay "in-network" but their lookup resources are rather poor (it seems that most ADD results are people specializing in children, do doctors specializing in ADD with adults exist or do they all just overlap?).

Can anyone clear up the confusion on what steps I should be taking next? Also if anyone can recommend some doctors in the area for treatment that would be appreciated!

daveddd
01-07-11, 04:36 PM
yes that is normal

any professional psychologist should be knowledgeable enough for an adhd assessment

a well rounded one should be fine

serox104
01-07-11, 04:39 PM
Ok so the psychologist does not prescribe medications (if applicable to the treatment options) so how does that work?

daveddd
01-07-11, 04:42 PM
correct, a lot of psychiatrists will require a formal dx to prescribe stimulants

along with a lot of insurance companys to cover the meds

i assuming your company is one of them because of the route they are making you take

try to find an office that has both, several psychiatrists /psychologists work together in an inner office sense

m1trLG2
01-07-11, 04:51 PM
I have also had it where an MD will prescribe but only if I have documentation from a Psychologist... this has happened when my insurance will not approve both psychologist and psychiatrist. Though best case scenario would be psychologist and then psychiatrist.

StoicNate
01-07-11, 05:04 PM
I think going to a Psychiatrist to get diagnosed seems better, since you'll be prescribed medication sooner or later by them.

I personally don't think any Psychologist helped me with ADHD.

daveddd
01-07-11, 05:08 PM
I think going to a Psychiatrist to get diagnosed seems better, since you'll be prescribed medication sooner or later by them.

I personally don't think any Psychologist helped me with ADHD.

if you go this route make sure you

1. make sure your insurance is ok with it

2.make sure the psychiatrist will dx, ive had a few that require a dx from a psychologist for adhd