View Full Version : Lamictal for 4 days & I feel odd

knghtwing
01-08-11, 02:18 PM
Hi, first time commenting, long time ADD poster child of the 80s!
So listen my new Dr in Oct diagnosed me with Bioplar 1. Because of the ADD, I also have OCD & an Intense Panic Disorder. Ive been on various Antidepressants for the last 7 yrs. Nothing has really worked, other then Xanax. I was one of those kids that had a bad reaction to Ritalin and was on it at 11 yrs old. Tried Adderall, made me kind of a jerk & I wasn't sleeping. That may or may not have caused my Ulcers by the time I was 17...

Anyway Ive had a pretty good control of my ADD and see it as a gift. Almost like a Super power for multitasking, unlimited energy & boundless creativity! Which really helps with my job. Like I said Im treated for a Panic Disorder & my Dr keeps putting me on Bioplar meds. I was on Depakote & had abnormal results from my blood work after increasing the medicine from 375 Mg, by combining the 125 Mg with 250. She weened me off the medicine & on Tues I started Lamictal 25Mg, after only 1 day off Divalproex. I was on the 1st mood stablizer from Oct 14th to Jan 3rd.

The first day I felt great, like a switch had been turn on, but noticed I struggled with being creative & thinking. Actually I had a very difficult time writing reviews, which is what I do for my job. Sleeping was also effected. I take the pill at 9Pm & don't get to sleep till 3 in the morning. Ive been carefully checking for the rash, but noticed some other concerns such as a stiff neck & pain on the left side of my body, from my shoulder to my waist.

Which started yesterday. I called my Dr and told her I wanted off the meds, she told me, that Im not at the therapeutic dose & give it some time. Also she reamed me for researching side effects and wanting to go off the meds. Hence where my OCD comes from.I tend to do that a lot. She said that I Imagine all this stuff happening to me & she has never had a patient die from med's she has prescribed. I wanted to say 1st time for everything. But she probably wouldn't have gotten the joke. :p

My Dr told me to stay on the 25 Mg for 3 weeks and then to go up to 50 Mgs. Personally I think the reaction to Divalproex, is proof that Bi polar meds aren't for me. Similar to my reaction to MAOI's. I don't think Ive been on Tricyclic Antidepressants yet. Still I don't agree with this Dr calling me Bi polar & I feel that cause I have ADD, she is trying to fix that. When the problem is the Panic Disorder & OCD...not ADD. Im doing rather well for a guy with ADD, got married, have a good job, my life is pretty awesome. Except for the Panic Disorder. So it would be nice to be treated for that! But Noooooooo, you're Bi Polar now... whatever.

Tonight will mark Day 5 of my Lamictal, my left side & chest feel funny, but not painful. More like slight muscle pain. Didn't help that I read about people being killed not by the rash, but for an allergic reaction with this medicine with in a week. Yeah I know, probably shouldn't research that. Still it would lesson my anxiety, if sites gave you dose of the person who died that soon. Of course they never give you dosage do to lawsuits etc.

So if anyone has been put on this Drug because you have ADD or ADHD, feel free to respond. Im curious to see if you guys and gals had a similar experience with Lamictal & if it went away after a few days. Or you couldn't think breath and had to get off the med right away. As long as Im off the medication in a week or 2, I shouldn't suffer from withdrawal.

- Luke

P.S THanks for reading this, I like to express myself & type a lot. ADD FTW! :D

knghtwing
01-08-11, 11:41 PM
Update around 4 o clock this afternoon, my throat felt sore & I was own able to move my head with out a little pain. My lymph nodes aren't swollen as far as I know. None less its painful to swallow food and drink. i don't have any Itching or Redness anywhere on my body. Its 10:42 PM Est & I did not take my Lamictal at 9PM. Hoping this doesn't turn into the rash of doom!

nova2012
01-09-11, 03:21 AM
I would definitely contact your doctor again if those symptoms continue. They don't sound normal or good. It doesn't sound like you're developing a rash, though, which is good. They usually start to develop pretty quickly, but it's good your doc is titrating up, rather than starting at a high dose initially. That drastically reduces the chance for "the rash" to develop.

Just out of curiosity, why were you diagnosed with bipolar I versus bipolar II? Do you have manic episodes that include psychosis?

daveddd
01-09-11, 12:00 PM
the rash occured in one in 10,000 people

all were teens

none were titrated properly

knghtwing
01-09-11, 06:10 PM
To give an update:

I woke up this morning and was able to move my head with out pain & drink fine too. Swallowing food caused some little irration. Nothing severe. In terms of the Biplor 1 diagnosis. I was on Remmeron an anti depressant. My Dr had me on it for several yrs, increasing the dose, only when my anixiety attacks had occured. By the time I hit 45 Mg, I ended up in the ER over night for severe chest pain and passing out. What's funny I stayed on the medicine untl July when my hands went totally numb & I started to have tremors. I was weaned off Remmeron slowly and by Oct it was out of my system.

During my time on Remmeron I was up all night working in my office, my Dr that dignosied me with Biplor 1 illness said, when she first meet me I appeared to have slight mania. Now by getting to know me better, she understands Im not biplor.

As I type this my thoart feel's annyoing & I drink a few gulps I get tiny pinch in the middle of my thoart. What I failed to mention, is I do have inflammed ear drums & my Dr has given me amoxicllian. It should be noted, that while I was on Depokate, I did not have an ear or thoart infection. Ive been Lamictal free now for almost 1 day & aside from the thoart pain, My head feels clear, I can type whitty corny jokes again & I feel normal. Well for me anyway XD

knghtwing
01-09-11, 06:17 PM
the rash occured in one in 10,000 people

all were teens

none were titrated properly
Good to know, I am not a teen anymore. Although sometimes I wish I was. 1 month away from 28! AHHHHHHHHHH! my Dr and family are keeping an eye on me, immediatly after having abnormial blood tests from being on Divalproex, I was told to wean myself off it.

Lamicatl my Behavorial theropist, wanted me to stay on it for a month. Increasing the dose, every 2 weeks. I had only been on the medicine for 3 days, before I noticed my neck was stiff. By Day 4 stiff neck turned into not being able to turn my head & what felt like heart born in my chest.

Day 5 In the morning felt like I had selpt on a rock. And noticed sevre pain from swallowing, couldn't reach my Dr and called the Pharmasist. Said I could be having an allergic reaction & that I probably shouldn't take my pill that day. I called my Dr and he said stop taking it. See how you are in the morning. However; my theropist is going to be angry & say this is all in my head.

nova2012
01-09-11, 08:23 PM
To give an update:

I woke up this morning and was able to move my head with out pain & drink fine too. Swallowing food caused some little irration. Nothing severe. In terms of the Biplor 1 diagnosis. I was on Remmeron an anti depressant. My Dr had me on it for several yrs, increasing the dose, only when my anixiety attacks had occured. By the time I hit 45 Mg, I ended up in the ER over night for severe chest pain and passing out. What's funny I stayed on the medicine untl July when my hands went totally numb & I started to have tremors. I was weaned off Remmeron slowly and by Oct it was out of my system.

During my time on Remmeron I was up all night working in my office, my Dr that dignosied me with Biplor 1 illness said, when she first meet me I appeared to have slight mania. Now by getting to know me better, she understands Im not biplor.

As I type this my thoart feel's annyoing & I drink a few gulps I get tiny pinch in the middle of my thoart. What I failed to mention, is I do have inflammed ear drums & my Dr has given me amoxicllian. It should be noted, that while I was on Depokate, I did not have an ear or thoart infection. Ive been Lamictal free now for almost 1 day & aside from the thoart pain, My head feels clear, I can type whitty corny jokes again & I feel normal. Well for me anyway XD

I'm just confused why you were diagnosed as bipolar 2 versus bipolar 1. Were you hearing voices or having other psychotic symptoms? If not, and your mania was "slight," then your diagnosis should have likely been bipolar 2. Perhaps she had a good reason for dx'ing you as bipolar 1, though.

knghtwing
01-10-11, 12:28 PM
I'm just confused why you were diagnosed as bipolar 2 versus bipolar 1. Were you hearing voices or having other psychotic symptoms? If not, and your mania was "slight," then your diagnosis should have likely been bipolar 2. Perhaps she had a good reason for dx'ing you as bipolar 1, though.
Out of all the theropists Ive had, she was the 1st to diagnois me with Biploar. I don't quite understand it myslef. Like I said, she said Mania for systoms I was experincing at the time. I am nor have I ever had mania, hear voices, see things, mood change what ever. So it wasn't the correct diagnosis. I think my OCD played a role in her thinking that way though.

knghtwing
01-10-11, 12:30 PM
Ok update time!

I stopped taking the 25 Mg of Lamictal 2 nights ago. Today thoart feels a bit better, no pain to swallow, but fills stiff as a board. Lots of acene on my back, but no rash. I also don't know if the rash can appear, after being off Lamictal, so my Wife is keeping an eye on me & checking my entire body for the rash every morning & before I go to sleep. Other then that Im in high spirits & Ive been on my Antibiotic for my Ear infection since last night. Ive read thier should be no interaction between Amoxacline & Lamictal. I am done with the Bi ploar drugs. My Dr wants to try Whelburton & possibly another drug similar to Remmeron.