View Full Version : New benzo possibly? Need advice and personal experience

Aspie101
01-08-11, 06:06 PM
Alright so I've had anxiety my entire life and its been pretty bad but I usually just deal with it, in situations where I was having a panic attack to the point of my heartrate jumping to 180 I would just hide it this is what I did and this is what I figured everyone with severe anxiety did...long story short this worked but I seriously think I have PTSD or something from all of that. Anyways I've been on SSRI's since I was like 5 years old and they honestly do not help, I just take them to take them you know? My doctor put me on Lorazepam 0.5mg at night so I could actually shut my brain off and think as I never stop thinking, it works very well that is at night...during the day it does not carry over as expected since its a bit shorter acting. I have tried taking it during the day and I generally do not like the "drugged" feeling it gives as well as the often severe amnesic effects it has (well short term memory loss things) so I refraimed from that. My doctor hates the idea of me being on anything that is a controlled substance because I'm sure its a combination of her anxiety of the big bad DEA monster under her bed and the believe that all teens surely bust crush and rail anything and everything on the weekends /dripping sarcasm.

Jokes aside since I love medicine I read about drugs, diseases, ect. allot and Clonazepam (klonopin) seams like a nice fit...I'm just curious if its going to make me feel like a drugged fool and drowsy all day before I start persuading my doctor to switch to it. If so are there other benzos that won't do this? I've used Xanax XR briefly and that helped but any teen asking for Xanax will probably get labeled drug seeking and doctor shopping especially given the fact that I've been on Ativan, Xanax, Focalin, Roxicodone, and Lortab in like the past four months.....I'm just looking for something that will give me the calmness everyone else on the planet has the luxury of naturally having:cool:

Abi
01-08-11, 06:16 PM
I've tried quite a few, and find Clonazepam to be by far the best.

You can avoid feeling like a "drugged fool" by splitting a 1 mg dose something like as follows:

0.25 mg in the morning
0.25 mg at about noon-2pm
0.5 mg at bedtime

Good luck :)

Aspie101
01-08-11, 06:31 PM
I've tried quite a few, and find Clonazepam to be by far the best.

You can avoid feeling like a "drugged fool" by splitting a 1 mg dose something like as follows:

0.25 mg in the morning
0.25 mg at about noon-2pm
0.5 mg at bedtime

Good luck :)
Hmm thanks Ill keep that in mind...Just curious what other ones have you tried and found effective? Clonazepam seams to be like the wonder drug for people with severe anxiety.

Abi
01-08-11, 06:39 PM
Ativn (Lorazepam) is the 2nd best... but Clonazepam is "smoother" and just better.

Valium was really bad for me, even at doses as high as 60mg a day... it's just not the right compund IMO for people with severe anxiety.

Oxarepam (something with an S is the tradename... Seran or some such).. too weak

Bromazepam (Trade name with an R I think)... not too bad, not too good, weak and metabolises fast, so u'll need relatively high doses and have to take it at least 3 or 4 times daily

Xanax .. too fast acting... won't give you a smooth anti-anxiety effect. Better for occasional panic attacks and insomnia.

Aspie101
01-09-11, 05:16 PM
Ativn (Lorazepam) is the 2nd best... but Clonazepam is "smoother" and just better.

Valium was really bad for me, even at doses as high as 60mg a day... it's just not the right compund IMO for people with severe anxiety.

Oxarepam (something with an S is the tradename... Seran or some such).. too weak

Bromazepam (Trade name with an R I think)... not too bad, not too good, weak and metabolises fast, so u'll need relatively high doses and have to take it at least 3 or 4 times daily

Xanax .. too fast acting... won't give you a smooth anti-anxiety effect. Better for occasional panic attacks and insomnia.
Hmm..I think I should mention that Xanax XR is extended release over 12 hours, not sure if that chances your thoughts on it..I wouldn't even bother with valium, it seams to slow me down wayyy more than I would like and the fact that its so long acting is somewhat of a draw back IMO.

LaVieEnRose
01-09-11, 05:27 PM
Aspie101, I have taken Ativan, and I can understand what you're saying about it not lasting as you'd like. Abi2010 knows his stuff! Clonazepam is smoother, like he said. It can be taken to go to sleep, but small doses just as he mentioned sounds ideal. It won't hit you as hard during the day as Lorazepam.. it's just a smooth, gentle set in, that isn't sedating (again with the small doses).

Abi
01-09-11, 06:32 PM
Awww Lurve... so sweet :)

Just personal experience tho', no med school here, and experiences can differ significantly from person to person.

Had no idea about Xanax XR, so I can't comment. Google is your friend ito comparisons between Xanax XR and Klonopin. Good Luck.

tinman8881
01-10-11, 12:07 PM
i would defitantly try klonopin heres what i take
anyone got any cooping methods?

my problems--ADD,PTSD,SEVRE PANIC ATTACKS AND MAJOR RECURING DEPRESSION

MY MEDS--LEXAPRO 20MG AT 10 PM
KOLONIPIN .5MG AT 6 AM-.5MG AT 10 PM
ADDERALL 10MG AT 8 AM -10 MG AT 12 - 10MG AT 5 PM

so this med combo seems good so

Aspie101
01-10-11, 03:44 PM
i would defitantly try klonopin heres what i take
anyone got any cooping methods?

my problems--ADD,PTSD,SEVRE PANIC ATTACKS AND MAJOR RECURING DEPRESSION

MY MEDS--LEXAPRO 20MG AT 10 PM
KOLONIPIN .5MG AT 6 AM-.5MG AT 10 PM
ADDERALL 10MG AT 8 AM -10 MG AT 12 - 10MG AT 5 PM

so this med combo seems good so
Thanks..I have aspergers, and some form of anxiety as a result...it might be PTSD from when I'm younger regardless It doesn't change the treatment unless they legalize MDMA for it. I also have according the my psychiatrist's thoughts "ADD like symptoms" So I've been on various amphetamines...however I do not like the feel of amphetamines so I'm just using the rather worthless wellbutrin XL :rolleyes:. I don't really get panic attacks I just get horrible anxiety that detracts from my productivity...

tinman8881
01-10-11, 04:08 PM
glad i could help

Yellow
01-14-11, 11:52 AM
klonopin isnt really sedating in comparison to other benzos, but if u find it is, the suggestion of breaking down the doses in .25mgs or .5mgs throughout is a good one

Aspie101
02-01-11, 04:20 PM
I switched to clonazepam. MUCH better results. I take 0.75mg at night.

Aspie101
04-29-11, 06:58 AM
After a few months since the switch I can confidently say that Clonazepam is an excellent drug for anxiety. I simply do not have any anxiety issues like I did before other than "Break through" anxiety which might happen from a surprise event that is stressful in a negative way. Still on 0.75mg hs and tolerance does not seam to be building fast at all! Amazing I say as when I took shorter acting benzos tolerance would build in a matter of days which I thought was crazy...I didn't want to end up a Xanax slave on 4mg a day just for the same effects as 0.5mg on a benzo naive person. Anyways I personally do not find the drug psychologically addictive or euphoric in anyway other than taking the edge off a really heavy day when I take it at my usual time of 7:00PM. I can confidently say that I would recommend this drug to anyone with moderate to severe anxiety if they find SSRI's ineffective after a year or so in moderate to high doses (of the SSRI). Additionally those of you on short acting benzo's I would consider klonopin in the morning and night versus having to take xanax or ativan 3 or 4 times a day...not only is it less of a hassle but tolerance theoretically will build slower.

livewire
04-29-11, 08:41 PM
I've been to a few psychiatrists, well four different ones, since I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 46. I am now 52. I was on Adderall ER, which lasted waaaaaay too long, then Adderall IR - which worked perfectly for about 5-6 years until the only pharmaceutical brand I could find in my area was Corepharma… not a tablet of Barr to be found (I know, some people hate Barr brand Adderall but it works for me) so was switched to Dexedrine Spansules which was pretty good, especially at first when I wasn’t having to study/research as much earlier in the semester. Not as much motivation but couyld focus okay once I dragged myself to my desk. But when the rubber really hit the road I prefer Adderall IR. I just tried Dex for a about 6 weeks after the Corepharma debacle. Then Barr miraculously reappears at the local pharmacies after a two-month absence :cool:!! Today I went back on Adderall IR after my p-doc visit....but Adderall can at times be "edgy." Not good - I can be edgy without extra help. One common denominator from all these doctors was Klonopin.

I had taken Xanax a long time ago but it is too big of a bat for me and it pooped out too soon. My current p-doc won't even prescribe it. The Xanax time-release may be promising however – don’t know much about it. Klonopin lasts a good 8 hours for me. Prescribed 1 mg. 3xday but rarely take that much. As a result I'm getting quite the stockpile! Need to pitch some that may have expired. Same with Adderall. I frequently just skip that last dose or break the tablets in half. Again - a stockpile there also.

Anyway - I find that Klonopin works really well for me. If I wanted to make a lot of money I could sell those Adderall at college. Just kidding. Note the post date: It's Dreaded Finals Week - my sense of humor is going from warped to nonexistent at an alarming rate. :eek: I have two psychology finals next week and two 20-page political science papers due right after that I am glad I got my meds straightened out.

May the lord have mercy on my soul. While I still have one. Plagiarism is starting to look mighty appealing! ;)

Aspie101
04-29-11, 09:58 PM
I've been to a few psychiatrists, well four different ones, since I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 46. I am now 52. I was on Adderall ER, which lasted waaaaaay too long, then Adderall IR - which worked perfectly for about 5-6 years until the only pharmaceutical brand I could find in my area was Corepharma… not a tablet of Barr to be found (I know, some people hate Barr brand Adderall but it works for me) so was switched to Dexedrine Spansules which was pretty good, especially at first when I wasn’t having to study/research as much earlier in the semester. Not as much motivation but couyld focus okay once I dragged myself to my desk. But when the rubber really hit the road I prefer Adderall IR. I just tried Dex for a about 6 weeks after the Corepharma debacle. Then Barr miraculously reappears at the local pharmacies after a two-month absence :cool:!! Today I went back on Adderall IR after my p-doc visit....but Adderall can at times be "edgy." Not good - I can be edgy without extra help. One common denominator from all these doctors was Klonopin.

I had taken Xanax a long time ago but it is too big of a bat for me and it pooped out too soon. My current p-doc won't even prescribe it. The Xanax time-release may be promising however – don’t know much about it. Klonopin lasts a good 8 hours for me. Prescribed 1 mg. 3xday but rarely take that much. As a result I'm getting quite the stockpile! Need to pitch some that may have expired. Same with Adderall. I frequently just skip that last dose or break the tablets in half. Again - a stockpile there also.

Anyway - I find that Klonopin works really well for me. If I wanted to make a lot of money I could sell those Adderall at college. Just kidding. Note the post date: It's Dreaded Finals Week - my sense of humor is going from warped to nonexistent at an alarming rate. :eek: I have two psychology finals next week and two 20-page political science papers due right after that I am glad I got my meds straightened out.

May the lord have mercy on my soul. While I still have one. Plagiarism is starting to look mighty appealing! ;)
Meds really don't "expire" and throwing them out is just a bad idea. I have kept every med Ive been prescribed ever for ADHD, Aspergers, Anxiety, ADD whatever. Its nice to know that if your doctor can't get in contact with you you have something to fall back on. Example, I ran out of klonopin and I had an old xanax script so I used that until my physician could call in my klonopin. But good luck! Don't hesitate to add some coffee on top of the amphetamine!;)

Killface1981
04-30-11, 05:59 PM
Definitely try Klonopin, but I've been on it for a long time... and have had panic attacks, and more social anxiety than usual unless I'm drinking(which isn't good obviously being so medicated.) Klonopin used to be perfect with Adderall or Dexedrine, but eventually the therapeutic benefits attenuate. This is the main weakness of all benzos. Why'd they give you Lortabs? That's a pain pill with codeine, and while being awesome and synergistic with ADD meds and benzos, it's not a good mix because of the chances of becoming addicted to the meds together. Ativan is very good just like Klonopin, and Xanax is pointless unless the extended release kind... other wise you build up a crazy tolerance too fast. Valium, while awesome sounding, also doesn't work if you're taking a stimulant for ADD. You might feel awesome, but it doesn't last. And Valium is the worst thing to ask for when it comes to benzos. Xanax(extended release might have been best but I noticed I was abusing it so switched back to Klonopin.) And don't think I'm being the anti-drug guy, I just know from personal experience. I wish I had never self medicated as much and said... what's one more pill? You get yourself in a bind with benzos quickly.

livewire
05-03-11, 01:39 AM
Thanks Aspie101!

My brother is an M.D. but not a p-doc. He told me the same thing about ****canning my expired Klonopin and Adderall that you told me. Says they REALLY expire a looooong time after what the bottle states. The way the rain has been falling and the tornadoes have been tearing through this year I may just rethink this and put them in a safety deposit box... in a bank located on higher ground, like Everest...or in one of those "safe rooms" that are so popular here in Oklahoma! :rolleyes: I'd hate to go unmedicated in a safe room or atop a mountain top. Wouldn't be pretty!

little_worlds
05-03-11, 02:23 AM
Well, it kinda depends what you're looking for.

If you need something to take everyday, def kpins--much longer acting
However, if you want something for when you feel yourself starting to get a panic attack, xanax is amazing.

I've tried both--but pdoc put me on xanax (need it for sleep too).

Gunner
05-05-11, 10:42 PM
My p-doc told me to think about meds, if I wanted to be on them, etc so we could talk about them next time. Which is great news as I was afraid she was not even going to entertain the idea, shows how quick I am to judge...

Anyways been following this thread and Klonopin seems to be the big name here.

I am really trying to do reasearch on the different Anxety meds. I suffer from social anxiety with what I would call moderate panic attacks here and there. I take Adderall as well which I know can complicate the whole thing.

Do you folks on Klonopin take it every day? What was your first anxiety drug, what about it? It seems the trend from what reading I have done is that benzos build up tolerance quickly and have a high rate of addiction so are undesireable for long term daily use. Is tolerance an issue for you? Can this be offset by frequent drug vaccations(weekends, skip when not feeling anxious, etc)?

Which leads to the next question: addiction. I generally feel like I have a pretty high tolerance to addiction but how hard do you feel this stuff 'grab' you? Is theraputic dose really that bad?

I don't want to try and play doctor here but I like to get an idea of what I might be able to tell/ask my doc about.

It seems like something that I could take in small dose every day ~.5 mg and take a little more if I wind up having a panic attack or bad day.

Or the alternative seems to be SSRI/SNRI (combined with a benzo for panic attacks if needed). These seem to have some positive history for Anxiety and there is no addiction potential and the tolerance build up seems to be slow. However you must take them every day and there is really no time you aren't on it. Need to be combined with another drug if panic attacks are still an issue.

I have already talked to my doc about illicit drug use and how I even have huge anxiety about loosing my add meds because somehow I might be seen as an abuser so I feel like we are on the same page there which feels good. However I still feel like if I go in there and start talking meds and I mention benzos I had better be able to back that idea up. I am willing to try anything I am prescribed, and clearly I am a little weary of benzos but they almost seem like the best choice otherwise.

Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, just looking for nearly the same input as the OP I guess but would like more info on how often you take it, what "fast tolerance" means to you, and how you feel about the drugs addiction forming properties.

Killface1981
11-15-11, 10:06 AM
You take it every day as needed(up to 3 a day usually but sometimes you'll take only 1.) I'm now on Prozac with it and haven't noticed a difference to be honest with you but the Wellbutrin combined with 60 mg of Adderall every day with my insane lifestyle was causing me to have high blood pressure out of nowhere. I do sleep a lil better now that I'm on Prozac but I can tell my brain is fighting it. Klonopin doesn't have the insane rate of tolerance like Xanax does but you will notice a need for more when taking it daily after a few months. Xanax takes a week for me to not feel it anymore... Valium took about two weeks. So Klonopin is the best due to its absurd half life and the fact that it's not as a benzo that's going to be definitely abused. Always be careful how you speak with your doctor since some are ultra conservative and will cut you off. And when I first got diagnosed with ADHD, I was an outgoing sucka. A year or two later I developed social anxiety(probably due to the speed and late nights of drinking with little or no sleep and class and workouts on no "real" energy.) I don't misuse Klonopin but have misused other benzos even if I didn't feel anything.

A good doctor will work with you, and the more honest you are, the better I have found. However, others get blacklisted or flagged when they're actually candid. Don't use the word benzo, mention Klonopin... say you read about it on an ADDForum and another person mentioned it being a bit safer and having a longer half life. Or something like that...

ADDinHDefgHi?!
12-25-11, 06:38 AM
if you need a benzo everyday I think Klonopin is the best by far, Xanax will leave most people in a period of withdrawal in between doses due to it's short halflife.

but if you only need a benzo once in a while I'd say xanax would be ideal since it leaves your system fairly quickly.

ymmv but for me Klonopin doesn't make me tired at all, I adjusted to it very quickly, however everyone is different. Doctors are different too, I think the good ones will work with you though as long as they feel you are being honest with them.