View Full Version : my bedroom

jeninok
01-10-11, 10:34 AM
The rest of the house is finally finished and shiny and totally not embarassing, at this point I would not worry at all if anyone in the world, other than my dad stopped by.

I have even finished painting and decorating (except for the ongoing kitchen cabinets)

I am now moving on to the bedroom....oh boy. There are clothes EVERYWHERE but the bed...which is always nicely made up and cozy.

The problem is that I can't just go in there bag it all up because stuff to get rid of is totally mixed up with stuff we actually wear. But our dryer also takes forever to dry clothes so trying to wash it all will take me forever and just keeping up with daily laundry is hard enough.

It isn't gross or nasty...it is just a sea of fabric and I am not sure how best to tackle it.

AloneInthought
01-10-11, 11:37 AM
Just tackle it head on.. Thats my 2 cents... Sounds like you have been a very busy lady!!

metzfanaz
01-10-11, 03:45 PM
Seperate it out first what you wear vs. what to get rid of. Take the wear pile and try to organize that out in order or importance then go from there. In the time it takes the clothes to dry from the first load you can bag up the get rid of pile and put them someplace near a door so they go out when you have a chance. All you can do is just keep wittling it down until it's all finished.

That's at least how I would tackle it and I'm in the same boat you are. :D

jeninok
01-10-11, 05:24 PM
I have serious problems dealing with laundry and clothes. There are just too many "things" and for some reason folding and putting away feels like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I have set a goal to have it all sorted and into bags by Saturday. My plan is to go in there and throw out everything of one color at a time into the hallway, then sort into keep, toss and donate. That way too it will already be with the stuff that it will be washed with.

Then on sunday I can take the "Keep" bags to the laundromat and wash them all at once. The donate bags can be washed one at a time when I have a chance...maybe......... I don't want the bags cluttering the house.

I am also going to start folding and putting the clothes on hangers on the couch or kitchen table. That way I won't forget about them until I am ready to collapse in bed and toss them on the floor or dresser out of loathing :)

This whole keeping house thing is really freakin hard for me. It feels so good when its done, but actually getting started is a major problem!!!

jeninok
01-11-11, 12:24 PM
I am going to use this to keep myself accountable, and maybe it will help someone else who has a mountain of clothes to deal with.

Seperate it out first what you wear vs. what to get rid of. Take the wear pile and try to organize that out in order or importance then go from there. All you can do is just keep wittling it down until it's all finished.

That's at least how I would tackle it and I'm in the same boat you are. :D

This is exactly what I did last night. I just grabbed a couple armloads of clothes and dumped them in the middle of the living room floor, then I sat down with my son and we sorted first by color, then by keep toss or give away.

Then I went through the keep pile and weeded out quite a few more items, and sorted by into loads to either wash now or wash immediately.

I decided to do this in the living room for several reasons.
1. it is freshly painted and decorated and I knew I wouldn't leave a giant pile of clothes in here.

2. the bedroom is overwhelming if I look at it as a whole, so pulling workable amounts of stuff into a bigger non cluttery room really helped me deal with it.

3. My husband was in the living room and I knew if he actually saw me making progress and surrounded by a mound of clothes he would help me go through it all...it worked LOL

I have also decided we are just going to suck it up and by a new dryer with our tax returns. It takes way to long to dry clothes and is contributing to my laundry pile up in a big way.

anonymouslyadd
01-11-11, 12:53 PM
The rest of the house is finally finished and shiny and totally not embarassing, at this point I would not worry at all if anyone in the world, other than my dad stopped by.

I have even finished painting and decorating (except for the ongoing kitchen cabinets)

I am now moving on to the bedroom....oh boy. There are clothes EVERYWHERE but the bed...which is always nicely made up and cozy.

The problem is that I can't just go in there bag it all up because stuff to get rid of is totally mixed up with stuff we actually wear. But our dryer also takes forever to dry clothes so trying to wash it all will take me forever and just keeping up with daily laundry is hard enough.

It isn't gross or nasty...it is just a sea of fabric and I am not sure how best to tackle it.

glad you did your painting and decorating!

bree
01-11-11, 01:06 PM
I THink you have done a fantastic job-well done you!

jeninok
01-11-11, 01:45 PM
glad you did your painting and decorating!

Deciding to paint was how I managed to get our house looking so good, we have lived here for 10 years and accumulated a bunch of crap. I couldn't very well paint without cleaning out all the stuff first.

We have also been inviting people over more often, which helps keep me motivated by seeing it how someone else would see it. I can ignore our own clutter too easily.

The problem with the bedroom is that we could just shut the door...no reason for company to be in there LOL

It isn't perfect, and never will be, but it is certainly looking better than it has in a while!