View Full Version : Listening to your favourite music releases dopamine

Driver
01-11-11, 07:57 AM
http://www.news.com.au/technology/listening-to-your-favourite-music-releases-dopamine/story-e6frfro0-1225984795121

Music to the ears of ADHD sufferers.

stef
01-11-11, 09:52 AM
hey, they were talking about this subject on a classical radio station here this morning!

Triptych
01-11-11, 10:02 PM
"A part of the striatum known as the caudate was involved during the anticipation phase. But during the peak emotional response, a different striatum area known as the nucleus accumbens was involved."

Music is a drug.

If someone keeps playing a song over and over until it becomes a compulsion, and they can't function without music (but they're ok with that), does it qualify as addiction?

EshkaronsEngine
01-11-11, 11:02 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5Grncdjlc">This band is my new drug.</a>

sighduck
01-19-11, 11:10 AM
first time ive ever seen someone else who enjoys sigur ros :D *high fives eshkaron*

Bezuidenthustra
01-19-11, 11:15 AM
first time ive ever seen someone else who enjoys sigur ros :D *high fives eshkaron*

Favorite track? I'm torn between "Olsen Olsen" and "Njosnavelin".

sighduck
01-19-11, 11:59 AM
sigh, i dont actualy have the name of my favoutite song, got it ripped to my p.c as "untitled #4" :/

MrObvious
03-12-11, 12:45 PM
Wow cool! I always did focus better like driving for example listening to music in the car.

speculative
05-10-11, 11:41 PM
Interesting, their mention of getting chills while listening to certain music. This happens to me, also when I am watching certain films. When my mind gets really carried away by a great song, film, or a brilliant concept, not only do I get chills but it can cause me have a sneezing fit, for example sneezing up to 20 times in a row.

Caffeinator
08-02-11, 11:23 PM
This must be why I've been obsessed with music since I was a kid, and will listen to songs over and over again, lol! I treat my 120 gig ipod like some sort of religious idol :cool:

Smokey405
08-03-11, 12:31 AM
This must be why I've been obsessed with music since I was a kid, and will listen to songs over and over again, lol! I treat my 120 gig ipod like some sort of religious idol :cool:

Welcome to the club!

Magicwithin
01-09-12, 11:44 PM
Very interesting, I sort of knew this already was true...

I am completely addicted to music.
Let me give you a hint>
200 gb of music, 12 playlists on youtube containing around 500+ songs each :D:D:D

Plus, I produce music, go to festivals, and find music helps with everything. I cannot live without it.

Dony164
01-13-12, 01:17 PM
Playing guitar is one the very FEW things i can do that's hard without my medication!

MissesS
01-25-12, 06:05 AM
Wow I am not surprised by this claim. I love music. It's one of the few things that makes me feel genuinely happy. I just 'feel' it. I love seeing live music too. I totally go off too - dancing and moshing. I'm nearly 35 but act like I'm 15 when I hear my
favourite music.

I also remember music, the timing and lyrics very well I reckon much better than the average person. I grew up hearing the Beatles and hadn't heard their songs in over 15 years. A collegue recently played some of their songs and I sang all of the lyrics and could even 'play' the music - if you count pretending to drum with your hands and 'air' guitar!